Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

No warming for 15 years

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#16    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,368 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

Do people realize that it takes 450 cars 1 year to emit the same amount of waste,as it takes 1 aircraft flying 1 way from London to New York,and how many vapour trails do you see going over your house per day on that flight path.I rest my case...

#17    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for resting your case, Spud, but no one claims that cars are the only problem. We spew too much crap into the environment. Some people defend that way of doing things and some people can see the obvious stupidity of it.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#18    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,768 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 31 January 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

http://times247.com/...-new-data-shows

Maybe someone should visit the respective websites to read the data?
Having read your post and the link, I still don't find a citation.  Who did the study?  Where was the research article published?  What datset did they use?

I want to re-run the numbers myself so I can check them and I can't do that from a newspaper article.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#19    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,355 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 31 January 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

Thanks for resting your case, Spud, but no one claims that cars are the only problem. We spew too much crap into the environment. Some people defend that way of doing things and some people can see the obvious stupidity of it.

applies to the UK. - i think everyone agrees pollution is bad, we are doing our best in reducing the amount of pollution and we are winning the fight especially, just look at the UK and how clean our rivers and off shore waters are. look at how clean towns and cities are compared to yesteryear. look at the tough regulation placed on farming and industry. we just need to continue down this path. no need to cripple ourselves in the process.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#20    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,768 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 31 January 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

applies to the UK. - i think everyone agrees pollution is bad, we are doing our best in reducing the amount of pollution and we are winning the fight especially, just look at the UK and how clean our rivers and off shore waters are. look at how clean towns and cities are compared to yesteryear. look at the tough regulation placed on farming and industry. we just need to continue down this path. no need to cripple ourselves in the process.
Just a thought:  Black carbon (soot) contributes to warming, is a major component of pollution, kills people who have to breathe it, especially folks with asthma and breathing difficulties, and washes out of the air in a matter of days.  By controlling soot we could improve our health and cool the planet and do it in a matter of weeks.

CO2, on the other hand, remains in the air for roughly a century, and at ambient concentrations, has no major effects on health.

Why do we want to apply the hard remedies when we haven't even tried the easy stuff?
Doug

Edited by Doug1o29, 31 January 2012 - 04:55 PM.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#21    Messy Marvin

Messy Marvin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Al Gore must be hating this! Surprised he and his cronies couldn't cover this story up or twist the info to his advantage. "Man made" global warming is the biggest hoax ever concocted.

#22    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

The fox news of England

#23    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

View PostDamrod, on 30 January 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Interesting article...be nice if it had more sources of this "opinion".  

Good post and well said. The only person of reason seems to be Judith Curry "The responsible thing to do would be to accept the fact that the models may have severe shortcomings when it comes to the influence of the sun"

Why do I feel like I'm back in the 80's? "Milk is good for you, milk is bad for you, eggs are bad, eggs are good " blah blah. If we could get special interest money out of the picture things might get a little clearer but I think we're still stuck with the prospect of trying to make long term projections in a complex system that we barely understand.

Having said all that. Let's quit treating our house like a sewer and get off oil anyway. Its icky.

#24    Damrod

Damrod

Seeker of Knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

HERE IS MY ABSOLUTELY UGLY RAGE ON THIS....AND IT IS UGLY...

There  is always going to be...unfortunately...extremist...those that refuse to acknowledge a commonality of cause and effect.  It is as if they almost cannot allow themselves to accept the fact that humans can and often do manifest themselves as a virus...a plague.

I personally think if we do not come to grips with population...we are going to have serious issues down the road.  Yes, I suppose I support a plan to limit childbirth...a plan, maybe a lottery...I don't have a perfect answer...all I know is unbridled procreation is ignorant at best and stupid at worst.  As much as we want to believe that life is so wonderful and the "mystic" creator will always afford a way...that is ca-ca, bs, stupid....it's not in there.  You cannot continue to grow a population with dwindling resources...no matter what your preacher says...he is retarded....shoot him for being stupid and a propagator of lies...

Listen folks...this world can only support so many people...get a grip and understand that as a scientific fact.  Until we unlock new technologies on food growth and propagation....there is a limit...get used to it...get over your selfish ass self and understand your personal goals of a basketball team is stupid and selfish...and needs to be shot down...in the head if necessary...I have no mercy for ignorant oblivion...join the whole or...else...

Those that think they are so special that there personal dreams matter and the dreams of everyone else is secondary...well...please step into this noxious chamber...i have a present for you...you are stupid and selfish.

I like to be open minded...I like to entertain multiple thought patterns...I like to think many things are possible....let me give the idiocracy a clue....

there is only so much food prepared each year...there is only so much energy manufactured each year...to procreate beyond that is ****g stupid and naive...those that don't like that can suck it...it is truth....prepare for the embrace of the skeletal one....you asked for it by being short sighted and naive...you get exactly what you deserve...starvation and hard times...

I tried to stop this years ago and no one would listen to me...so prepare yourself for what is coming...unbridled childbirth = suffering and starvation....accept it...you caused it...this is Your FAULT....

SORRY....My crap posted by accident....but I stand by the position...ignorance is a volcanoe and brilliance is a dieing star...you folks are morons and need whatever hammer of the gods fall on your heads for being so god damned stupid....die and be done with it....

Edited by Damrod, 31 January 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#25    travelnjones

travelnjones

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

I still don't get why we have to do it your folks way with the going green.  There are these folks around my town with bumper stickers about going veg and saving the planet.  Others say electric cars will.  The real problem isn't cars or planes it's humans we need less of you.  The vast majority of us lead unexamined pathetic lives that return less than we take.  Most of our lives are better not lived.  If you want to save the rain forests you should be voting for the depeopling of those regions and then to maintain them as green belts where humans are not allowed.

#26    KERIK182

KERIK182

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Boy, Al Gore is going to be pissed

#27    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:45 AM

apparently no one has been to arkansas. it's supposed to be winter here but we've been having temperatures in the 60's and 70's

SRS

#28    Number Fingers

Number Fingers

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostDamrod, on 31 January 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

HERE IS MY ABSOLUTELY UGLY RAGE ON THIS....AND IT IS UGLY...

There  is always going to be...unfortunately...extremist...those that refuse to acknowledge a commonality of cause and effect.  It is as if they almost cannot allow themselves to accept the fact that humans can and often do manifest themselves as a virus...a plague.

I get where you're going with this post, but population is tied completely to food supplies and available resources.  The population will stall and go down by itself if food supplies are ever strained.  We might not believe it, but third world countries are producing tons of food, and the populations are answering that.

However I don't think there will ever be a point again where available food supplies limit population.  Food technology is also only going to get better, and maybe even stranger.  Maybe someday we'll all be eating pills, or have greenhouses in space.

I think we'll hit a wall simply on how many people we can actually fit on this earth and yet still let everyone be satisfied and to let everyone be an individual.  There is obviously a physical limit in that regard which will be reached first.

#29    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,768 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostXanthurion2, on 01 February 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

apparently no one has been to arkansas. it's supposed to be winter here but we've been having temperatures in the 60's and 70's
Is Oklahoma close enough?  It hit 70 here yesterday.

I am still trying to locate the Met office study that Little Fish and the Daily Mail referred to.  It seems that none of the folks who are crowing about the study know who said what or where they said it.  As of today, I have not seen references to it in the literature.  That doesn't mean that we won't see some in a month or two - publications are often several months behind events.

At any rate, I did find a comment by Gareth Jones that in order for a reduction in solar output to produce a 0.13-degree drop in temperatures, we would have to see solar outputs below those of the Maunder Minimum.  The average rate of warming from 1981 to present was 0.02714 degrees.  At that rate, warming will offset solar cooling in about six years and three months.  Or, if you use the average from 1997 to present (0.01775 degrees per year), warming will offset solar cooling in seven years and four months.  It is a little bit early to start claiming victory.
Doug

#30    valling

valling

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

The Met Office have debunked this: http://metofficenews...9-january-2012/

Here is what sourcewatch have too say about the author: http://www.sourcewat...itle=David_Rose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users