Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Would-be Jedi jailed over lightsaber attack

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

PORTLAND, Oregon An Oregon judge has used his force to order a 45-day jail sentence and mental health evaluation for a would-be Jedi who attacked toy store customers with a pair of lightsabers.

David Allen Canterbury, 33, told Judge Kenneth Walker that he is already seeking mental health treatment. Canterbury also apologized to his victims.

The Oregonian reported that Canterbury pleaded no contest Monday to assault and resisting arrest.

Canterbury had a "Star Wars" lightsaber in each hand as he swung at three customers last Dec. 14 at a Toys R Us store, Portland police said. He carried the lightsabers outside the store and swung at police.

According to The Oregonian, police attempted to shoot Canterbury with a Taser but the suspected deflected one of the wires away.

More of the article here: Source

--------------------------------
This guy is just awesome and he's made my entire day already! :lol:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,820 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

In the old days they used to court order disruptive mentally ill people into treatment (ie, they had no choice). Not any more, now the crazy folks are allowed to do pretty much as they please until they break a law and end up in jail (which is not really where they belong). What the heck are we (as a society) thinking? People like this need to be in a mental health facility.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

The best part: " According to The Oregonian, police attempted to shoot Canterbury with a Taser but the suspected deflected one of the wires away."

Thats jedi for you.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,561 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostLilly, on 31 January 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

In the old days they used to court order disruptive mentally ill people into treatment (ie, they had no choice). Not any more, now the crazy folks are allowed to do pretty much as they please until they break a law and end up in jail (which is not really where they belong). What the heck are we (as a society) thinking? People like this need to be in a mental health facility.

:tu:

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,345 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Did he try to use the jedi mind trick on the police or the judge?

#6    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,725 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

He deflected a taser attack! That's some skill right there. Kind of like when Luke and Obiwan would hit those laser blasts right back at the storm troopers / battle droids lol.

#7    General Kenobi

General Kenobi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

(sigh...) I hate when people do this. Makes all us Jedi look bad.

#8    phatmanxxl

phatmanxxl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

I can't help to think of the fat comic book guy on the Simpsons in this situation.....best light saber fight ever!

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,820 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostGeneral Kenobi, on 31 January 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

(sigh...) I hate when people do this. Makes all us Jedi look bad.

I agree. I never use my lightsaber in public. I stick with using my mind powers.

Posted Image

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#10    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Well said.  :tu:

View Postphatmanxxl, on 31 January 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

I can't help to think of the fat comic book guy on the Simpsons in this situation.....best light saber fight ever!

Hahaha, that is funny.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#11    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,171 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Why didn't he use the Force push to knock the police down like bowling pins?  Amateur...  
I do have to admit the taser deflect was impressive though... :P

In all honesty, this is similar to the movie "Mazes and Monsters" which showed that the imagination can be a powerful tool in dealing with RPG's especially if you are all ready clouding up reality and fantasy or have given up on reality completely...

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,501 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

The Jedi are supposed to use their lightsaber in defense and using two is discouraged... This guy was more like a Sith!! Wonder what color those lightsabers were?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,326 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

Too much TV or drugs or both..

#14    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,366 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Well spake Lilly!

Too bad asylums and sanitariums are left to ghost hunters instead of being used. There are a lot of people that need help waaayyyy more than they need jail.

#15    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,072 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

That's just what we need to start packing everyone into asylums again. Hey that person has epilepsy lets throw them in. That person is depressed... throw them in ... hey that kid is hyper well I'm sure electro shock therapy will cure him.

I agree that there could be a better way but lets not go back to the way it used to be....

Tazer deflection +1
Not being able to tell friend from foe - 100

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch, 01 February 2012 - 01:12 AM.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users