Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What's Taking E.T. So Long to Find Us?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#16    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,103 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

What's taking ET so long? Distance would be my guess. Perhaps the technology of warp drive (or any other way around the vast distances involved) is impossible to achieve...distance then becomes a major factor.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#17    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

View PostLilly, on 03 February 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

What's taking ET so long? Distance would be my guess. Perhaps the technology of warp drive (or any other way around the vast distances involved) is impossible to achieve...distance then becomes a major factor.

The algorithm used only proposes travel speeds of 0.1 - 0.25 c. The lower number is something we are probably going to be able to achieve in the not so distant future.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#18    dazdillinjah

dazdillinjah

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

• "We went to explore the Moon & discovered the Earth" Gene Cernan

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Maybe they already have ?

#19    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,103 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

Even if we're able to develop the ability to travel approaching light speed there's still the problem of time dilation. So basically, even if we can create engines that are powerful enough to reach other stars in our galaxy (within 40 or so years) there's still the problem regarding time. Explorers would find when returning to Earth that thousands of years would have elapsed during their absence. I suspect not too many would be willing to volunteer for such a trip. Any ETs would probably face similar problems with interstellar travel as well.

Posted Image

#20    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostLilly, on 03 February 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Even if we're able to develop the ability to travel approaching light speed there's still the problem of time dilation. So basically, even if we can create engines that are powerful enough to reach other stars in our galaxy (within 40 or so years) there's still the problem regarding time. Explorers would find when returning to Earth that thousands of years would have elapsed during their absence. I suspect not too many would be willing to volunteer for such a trip. Any ETs would probably face similar problems with interstellar travel as well.

Of course Time Dilation is a blessing if the intention is to travel to point B and stay there as per the Paper that was discussed at MAA and here in this thread. But that isn't even really a factor at 0.1 - 0.25 c.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#21    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

View PostLilly, on 03 February 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

Distance and technology is a major factor. But maybe intelligence is stopping them from coming, assuming they are out there.  Could they be waiting until such a time that if they did show themselves, we would welcome them, rather than shoot them out of the sky or cut them up to see how they worked?  I have no doubt that we would also try to steal their technology, using any method necessary.  It is possible that all these unexplainable aircraft that are seen (UFO's) are just scouting craft piloted by robots. keeping an eye on us until the time is right, which, I'm afraid,  wont be for some considerable time.
This is just a thought. . Not necessarily what I believe :)

#22    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

Explorers would find when returning to Earth that thousands of years would have elapsed during their absence. I suspect not too many would be willing to volunteer for such a trip.

I think lots of people actually would volunteer. Just imagine how many times and how many people in prehistory must have virtually done just that in order for Homo Sapiens to have colonized the Planet. This must have happened countless times with untold numbers of individuals and families in prehistory and we are the descendants of this legacy.

#23    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,103 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

Interesting article here from Universe Today.

Posted Image

#24    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

There are plenty of soldiers that volunteer for high risk missions and designed their life around the willingness to take on missions others never would...no family, no close friends, the military is their life. The idea of long time changes would not be as big a deal to a person without a family to leave behind, and there are surprisingly high numbers of those around.

For the opportunity to cross the galaxy, I think people would give up far more than anyone would ever guess.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#25    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,103 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostFluffybunny, on 03 February 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

For the opportunity to cross the galaxy, I think people would give up far more than anyone would ever guess.
Perhaps so, but even with advancements in technology (like that proposed in the Universe Today article) such travel would most likely have to be generational. It's a long, long way to the stars.

Posted Image

#26    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,295 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostLilly, on 03 February 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

Perhaps so, but even with advancements in technology (like that proposed in the Universe Today article) such travel would most likely have to be generational. It's a long, long way to the stars.

I would go with out question. As long as there are other people.  Plus there are ways of cheating the light of speed we can not even come close to acheiving.  Example Star Trek warps space and uses worm holes.  The tech to to do so is beyond me nore the mass of our little star.  Deep space travel is so far off for us that Mars looks tough.

I think any alien species traveling the stars would pass us by as we would passing a small bug all the while looking for a mountian gorilla.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#27    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,393 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

But what if you sit backwards in the space craft on your trip, and drink lots of Starbucks so not to sleep ? This maybe the way E.T does it ? :wacko:

Attached Files

This is a Work in Progress!

#28    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

Yeah it surely would be a long trip, but I think that given enough time and resources that we will find better ways to travel long distances in shorter periods of time. I know that Einstein created rules that mass cannot move faster than light(or achieve it for that matter), but looking at what science has been and how it progressed over the past few centuries, who knows what will be possible.

It is just my personal feeling, but when I look back over the history of science, and all of the things that were impossible at one point, and how the once impossible is not only possible, but common. Who knows what science could do with 500 years of well funded research.

From the very first plane flight(measured in yards) at the turn of the last century led to aircraft that were once undreamed of, and led to rockets and ultimately putting us in space. That was just in the span of 6 decades or so.Each of those developments along the way were filled with "impossibles" of one form or another. Things are only impossible until the right person gets the right idea.

I will never live to see it, but(Should we all not blow ourselves up)I can see a time 500 years from now that looks back at us and all of the self imposed limitations created and they will laugh at us, as we do when we read about "doctors" who repeatedly bled patients to get the bad stuff out of their body...

Maybe "C" is impossible to travel past in our current understanding, but who knows what IS possibly when we really work at it. Yeah, C is our limit, but that no longer matters when we learn how to create a stable wormhole and can get from place A-Q without having to pass B----P.

I don't know...I would love to see what 500 years of science could give us.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#29    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:03 AM

Who's to say that they haven't already found us? :tu:

#30    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

It may be very hard and even generational but, Hedman and Hair seem to allow 500 years for 5 ly trips from what I've read. That is about 40 times faster than the Helios 2 probe the Universe Today article mentions, while that is very 'fast', remeber the paper is talking about a 250 million year time frame. In contrast, our own current "space age" is less than 70 years old!  :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users