Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Contact lost with Vostok science team

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,348 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

A team of Russian scientists has mysteriously lost contact with colleagues in the U.S. as they drill into a lake buried beneath the Antarctic ice for 20 million years.

The scientists had been battling conditions of minus 66C at Lake Vostok, as they raced to drill into a lake buried two miles beneath the ice before the weather closed in.The scientists hope the lake's untouched water will reveal more about life on our planet 20 million years ago.

The lake, in the most inhospitable region of the planet, is kept liquid by geothermal heat under the ice and its conditions are often described as 'alien' because they are thought to be akin to the subterranean lakes on Jupiter's moon Europa.

Their radio silence has conjured chilling echoes of classic horror film The Thing, where scientists dig up a buried spacecraft in the Antarctic ice, only to unleash an extraterrestrial horror within.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,127 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

*sigh* That's more Ancient Evil unleashed, I suppose ..

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#3    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Lovecraft was right!  :blink:

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#4    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Uh huh, aliens have wiped out the scientists because they were getting too close to the "secret lair". The answer is almost certainly the result of the minus 66 C temperatures which play havoc with men and equipment alike. Hopefully the men are o.k. and they can continue the research, because it would be interesting to find extremophile life forms under the ice. In the unlikely event such life is unrelated to other terrestrial life, it will be a good analog for life on some of the frozen moons of the outer solar system.

#5    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

There's an episode of The X-files just like this. It's a bubonic carrying alien maggot killing everyone.

Edited by Dosojin Midnight, 03 February 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#6    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,780 posts

• ראה

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

[Contact not lost with Russian polar workers in Antarctica]

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#7    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 4,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

The only evil likely to be unleashed is water under extreme pressure, they really don't know what to expect.

#8    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

A second source confirms Russian scientists at Lake Vostok not 'lost'. Goes into more detail on what they're doing, and hope to accomplish. It seems to be uncertain if they can reach the lake with their drill this season, before the weather worsens. They must leave while it's still possible to fly out. Link to article: http://www.usnews.co...lated-links:TOP

#9    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Posted Image

:yes:

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#10    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

"What the...WHO UNPLUGGED THE RADIO?  Bobby, you were playing with it last!  Dammit, everyone's probably freaking out back home..."

#11    sandlot

sandlot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:28 AM

View PostDBunker, on 05 February 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

:yes:

:tu:

#12    Shadowman972

Shadowman972

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• Perception is 80% of Reality

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Has everyone forgotten about this news article about "SUPERBUGS" being found in antarctica? Maybe they all died from this ancient bateria strain that our bodies aren't accustomed to...

The artile link is here:
http://www.unexplain...s.php?id=221567

#13    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Is the lake itself like in a cave? or is it litterally a bubble in the ground completely filled with water?

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#14    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostBracket, on 03 February 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Lovecraft was right!  :blink:
eg? :(

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#15    PfefferkornNV

PfefferkornNV

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

"Lake Vostok is of particular interest to scientists as it contains one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world and has been uncontaminated by modern pollutants due to its location deep down below the Antarctic ice."

When the drill hits the water, wont it then be contaminated?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users