Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Christians?

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

• Understand this... You will never understand it...

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have a question for everyone out there... Why is Christianity the only religion that's constantly under fire? I mean look I can understand if you have a scientific way of thinking and it's hard for you to understand the concept of God and what not. But why is it just Christianity? When we talk about the Muslims it's always "Oh they're such 'peaceful' people there's really no need to try and disprove that." and Buddhism is pretty much the same story, every other religion gets by with the "They're so peaceful." excuse but yet Christianity, which teaches to always be good and humble and reserved, is constantly under fire by the secular world? Why is that? What have we done to deserve to be the only religion that is constantly being "disproved" and we're constantly thwarted and harassed by secular society. Please tell me why this is.

"Quid pro quo, yes or no Clarice?"
"A census taker once tried to test me, I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice Chianti... Fsh fsh fsh fsh!"
"You fly back to school now little Starling! Fly fly fly! Fly fly fly..."
"What did Miggs say to you? Multiple Miggs in the next cell, he hissed at you, what did he say?"
"Of each and everything ask what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?"

#2    Dragons2

Dragons2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• "This isn't a competition, but you're losing"

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hard to accept not to understand.

Axl Rose Rocks!

Posted Image
Click!!!!!

#3    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

If it makes you feel better, I'm not a believer in god by any means, but I dislike most atheists. They tend to be d**** about their opinion. Most can't just not believe & let others believe.

#4    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostDragons2, on 04 February 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

Hard to accept not to understand.
One must accept before one can move on to a higher acceptance of understanding. If one does not accept it, one can not understand.

"A census taker once tried to test me, I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice Chianti... Fsh fsh fsh fsh!"
"What did Miggs say to you? Multiple Miggs in the next cell, he hissed at you, what did he say?"
"Of each and everything ask what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?"

#5    Dragons2

Dragons2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• "This isn't a competition, but you're losing"

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Accepting something before understanding it? Isn't it the other way around? and as to your question it's probably christianity's violent history. It may not be the only one but it is certainly well known and documented. Also no one likes to be told what they believe is wrong. "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour?" is understood as "have you realized your beliefs are wrong and mine are right yet?"

Edited by Dragons2, 04 February 2012 - 10:08 PM.

Axl Rose Rocks!

Posted Image
Click!!!!!

#6    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostDragons2, on 04 February 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

Accepting something before understanding it? Isn't it the other way around? and as to your question it's probably christianity's violent history. It may not be the only one but it is certainly well known and documented. Also no one likes to be told what they believe is wrong. "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour?" is understood as "have you realized your beliefs are wrong and mine are right yet?"
Actually in order to understand you must accept it as truth. Consider it like this. Someone who understands dogs have already accepted them as good and loving creatures. You can't really understand something until you accept it. And yes, everyone is always pointing to the crusades, and why? Really I mean it was 500 years ago... Aren't we past that yet? Secular society is really holding a grudge for 500 years? Come on people, I think we've established that the modern day Christian doesn't wanna kill those who won't accept the truth. I mean when there were radical Muslims who attacked people everyone was saying "Well Muslims are actually peaceful people, you can't judge a whole religion based on a few radicals." so why does that apply to them and not us? My question is why is it acceptable for other religions and not ours?

And to your thing about people not wanting to be told they're wrong... People are constantly telling us we're wrong and that our beliefs are flawed and ridiculous. So... Again... Why is it acceptable for them and not us?

#7    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

View PostAngelsShadow, on 04 February 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

I have a question for everyone out there... Why is Christianity the only religion that's constantly under fire? I mean look I can understand if you have a scientific way of thinking and it's hard for you to understand the concept of God and what not. But why is it just Christianity? When we talk about the Muslims it's always "Oh they're such 'peaceful' people there's really no need to try and disprove that." and Buddhism is pretty much the same story, every other religion gets by with the "They're so peaceful." excuse but yet Christianity, which teaches to always be good and humble and reserved, is constantly under fire by the secular world? Why is that? What have we done to deserve to be the only religion that is constantly being "disproved" and we're constantly thwarted and harassed by secular society. Please tell me why this is.
Nope I can't agree with you. Christians like to talk about how everybody gives them a hard time and all that, but the truth is that every belief system including atheism gets a lot of flak from those outside of it. Add in the fact that many people love to mock anything held sacred regardless of what it is and you see that its all very balanced out really

#8    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,227 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

I like Christianity on paper. It's the way some Christians think & act that drive me crazy. Proselytizing, for instance. Condemning to hell people who are non-Christian. The TV evangelists who prosper greatly, while Jesus himself was a humble man not out to line his pockets. Then there's the history: the Crusades, the witch-burnings, assigning women 2nd class status, the patriarchy. The claim that they speak for God, as if God couldn't speak to me personally if he saw the need. The lack of respect for other beliefs & religions. Not all Christians behave this way, I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't, whether he was the son of God or just a man.

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,388 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:52 AM

Because the deceiver knows who the real Deity is and attacks those of faith.  It really is that simple.  Christ said that in the last days perilous times would come.  I'm pretty sure he meant those perils would be faced by His church.  So be of good cheer :)  He has already overcome the deceiver Ha Satan.  I think He's coming very soon now and the angry railings of spiteful, misguided souls is for us a call to love and forgive. :tu:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#10    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

When we talk about the Muslims it's always "Oh they're such 'peaceful' people
hahaha really? have you not turned on your tv in 12 years?

#11    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

View Postand then, on 05 February 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

Because the deceiver knows who the real Deity is and attacks those of faith.  It really is that simple.  Christ said that in the last days perilous times would come.  I'm pretty sure he meant those perils would be faced by His church.  So be of good cheer :)  He has already overcome the deceiver Ha Satan.  I think He's coming very soon now and the angry railings of spiteful, misguided souls is for us a call to love and forgive. :tu:

Am I misguided because I dont believe?

#12    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

Hmmmm I've never heard such comments about Muslims.  I've heard fire against every religion including Christianity, though a lot of the fire on other religions CAME from Christians... my family is Methodist/Baptist and as I was growing up I heard how Buddhists, Pagans, Jews, Muslims, et al were wrong and worshipping false gods or similar.  Christians happen to be the religion most known to be out in the streets actively trying to convert and putting yourself more in people's faces will cause you to draw more of the criticism.

I've heard the positive and negative from people of all walks, some of it is just more publicized or public.

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#13    SamDavies

SamDavies

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. - Elie Wiesel

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

Perhaps more and more people today are realizing that most Christians do not follow Christ’s sermon on the mount. And yes I mean most.

Then there’s the blood filled history of the Christian nations that are still proclaiming to be Christian and the light of the civilized world (but instead are setting it alight literally due to the past and present bullying, insulting and demonizing of other countries’ way of life, religion and politics) but in no way act like Christ would. Christian killing Christian and anyone else for that matter.

Gandhi said something like: “I love your Christ but I hate Christians as you do not follow your Christ”.

And it’s too much to handle the constant trumpeting that accepting Christ is the only way.

And actually there is a lot of slamming of the Muslim. And more and more so as more and more Muslims turn away from the original teaching just like the Christians did. And negative propaganda spread about them from Christian countries. With the Arab Spring look at the fear from the West that the uprisings would lead to the countries being even more Islam dominated. Christians should know all about fanatical religion with its unfortunate history of invasion and slaughter.

The savagery and wars among Buddhists is rarely mentioned as to do so would shatter the rose tinted glasses of the peaceful Buddhist image most have been feed and believed. Then the political agenda of Free Tibet cause would collapse.

Israel is totally out of bounds no matter what they do or you’re automatically called a Jew hater. The UN only slaps them on the wrist though they openly abuse international laws.

Natives are ridiculed for their beliefs. Main reason why they now hate sharing and keep close their beliefs mostly. I follow the indian/native way in my heart and much as possible in practice and there's no end of the ridicule I get.

And it is true as one poster here stated that athiests also get flack all the time. And it does seem Christians are the most vocal. Other religions tend to earn their respect by actions not words. That is why Islam until 9/11 was very appealing to a lot of people and still is.

Truth is a fragile thing. Those who speak up get ridiculed and squashed.

Sam Davies
www.darwinlion.blogspot.com

#14    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

• The slippery are very crafty.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

It's probably because bad people and corrupt politicians use Christianity to do bad things. It could also have something to do with many Christians not having read the bible in it's entirety and butchering it's message. Or it could be that it is the most recognized religion in the Western world.

Posted Image

#15    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

It isn't just christians in general in my opinion. There are plenty well informed, respectful people who follow christ, and they are better people for it. As for the islam comment, I can only laugh...

The problem lies with the considerable number of christians who wish to force their beliefs on everyone else, as if their "truth" is the only truth, without respect for other opinions.

Attached File  xian.jpg   47.87K   49 downloads

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users