Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Voices

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

View PostVonMagnum, on 08 March 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

Your average psychologist likes to play guessing games and hand out drugs.  Hearing a whisper while going to bed is hardly schizophrenia.

and yes they often DO love to hand out drugs when you talk about weird  experiences, namely anti-psychotics and then tell you to come back a few  weeks later and see if they helped.  

I'd go to the neurologist first.  If there is a hallucination due to a bodily problem, you'd want a CT scan or MRI as soon as possible and that is not the realm of a psychologist who is far more likely to send you to the 6th floor of a hospital tied to a bed if you tell them you're hearing voices than anything else.

Statistically, a large percentage of psychologists are mentally ill themselves

You certainly do seem to have a strong opinion on the subject.  Others do as well.

View PostVonMagnum, on 08 March 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

I know  I don't see any point of you being on these forums.  These forums  aren't about mental disorders, after all and you admit that you just  flat out dismiss other possibilities and hence I have to wonder why  you're even on a site about unexplained mysteries.

This is a discussion forum.  Part of discussing is dealing with people who have opposite opinions.  And yes, you also get your extremists.

View PostColoradoParanormal, on 09 March 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I  have to tell you that I'm very proud of the responses that have been  presented here! I was beginning to lose faith in this community as ALL  too often people come seeking help and guidance with a situation just  like the OP's and ALL too often people on here completely ignore the  OP's well-being and jump straight to something paranormal. So good job  my fellow UMers!!  :tu:

Case in point.

Now,  to you Maxxy, the answer you are looking for has already been given  here. You need to seek medical attention as soon as possible. I have my  Bachtoral in Psychology and do believe you need to see a psychologist as  quickly as possible. If they cannot help you a good psychologist will  refer you to a neurologist and other specialty doctors to get to the  bottom of this.

Please, take care of yourself and your  mental/physical health before ever jumping to the paranormal. After all,  once you've crossed off ALL rational and logical explanations, you can  then start to seek other forms of possibilities. Just seek the  professional help first! Cheers my friend!

I am actually embarrassed that you are representing the skeptical and rational side with such unbelievable levels of arrogance and condescension.  There should have been at least 12 credits worth of communication classes in that baccalaureate, and I can't imagine any practice that uses an approach such as this one.  

This is not the first time you have been spoken to about your attitude.  Further answers along this stripe will be considered flamebaiting.

View PostJGirl, on 09 March 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

next time it happens, say "what?"

Don't.  If they think you're listening to them, they'll start asking for money.

Edited by aquatus1, 14 March 2012 - 12:09 PM.
Spelling

#32    tigger

tigger

Poltergeist

• 2,367 posts

• keeper of a greater magic... THE SCHWARTZ!

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

i must admit, i have had the same experiences. more so when i was younger.. also hearing the phone ringing when i would shower. when i would hear my name called, my cat would go bonkers-banana's and do bog laps of the house.. running about and going nutso (probably not the best analogy to use, given the way that certain stereo-types have been bandied about ;) )

'What do you do if you step on a mine, Captain?'
'Well, the usual procedure is to leap 200 feet in the air and spread yourself over a wide area…'

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

#33    VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

If you don't know what my problem is, then you can't read, apparently.  Look at Colorado's reply to MissyMoo999 where despite the fact she wasn't even speaking to him directly, he starts sarcastically putting words in her mouth (The "It MUST be a ghost" bits).  And you think my reply was rude and condescending?  I don't have a problem with your replies as they aren't even in the same league with the condescension I see from ColoradoParanormal who is really more like ColoradoPscyhologist in every single post on here.  Paranormal may only be one part of the overall forums, but that is the forum we're in an the whole site is about unexplained mysteries, not easily explained psychosis (there is a psychology forum on here for that and a skeptic vs. spirituality debate forum, which is where it belongs).  

I know I didn't come to these forums to debate with psychologists and skeptics (hence I don't go to that forum) about whether anything anyone experiences is real or not, but to read about more experiences from other people that may be similar to my own.  It's like going to an alternative physics theories discussion forum to talk about non-mainstream ideas (e.g. that Higgs Boson is nonsense invented to explain/patch a broken theory rather than find the correct theory) and instead getting constantly bombarded with mainstream physics cronies who are there to bash everything that isn't in line with their own beliefs (i.e. Of course CERN will pove Higgs boson particles are real!  How dare you question a gravity-centric universe with plasma theory based nonsense?)

In short, it's interference at best and fear tactics at worst (imagine convincing someone they're crazy so they believe it when in fact there's nothing wrong with them; it creates paranoia).  This is sightings, reports and experiences.  Go to the spirituality vs. skepticism forums if you want to argue about such things and make fun of other people's opinions and belief systems.  I'm here to read about and discuss paranormal experiences, not be told I'm suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning with no evidence what-so-ever to support it (BTW, I own a tested and functioning gas and carbon monoxide alarm and I'm probably not the only one on here that does, so it's particularly funny that someone would mention such a thing out of the blue with no signs of it, yet find other possibilities unbelievable.  

It's like people who search for medical diagnoses on the Internet and think they have 50 different diseases since they all have relatively common symptoms in common.  Oh, you heard a voice?  Are you smoking dope?  Are you sniffing glue?  Are you breathing carbon monoxide?  When did you last have your furnace checked?  Were you drinking heavily last night?  Does your family have a history of psychosis?  Was your mother using drugs during her pregnancy?  Etc. etc.  Do you have any idea how insulting that crap is, being pulled out of the blue out someone's back side?  No, I don't think you do or you'd have some idea WTF I'm talking about when I get irked at people jumping into threads with that kind of crap every time someone claims to have seen a ghost, heard a voice whisper or woke up with sleep paralysis.  If someone wants that kind of harassment, they can ask on Yahoo Answers since I guarantee that's what they'll get there since it's the first thing that comes to mind to someone who has never experienced anything out of the Beaver Cleaver ordinary a day in their life.

View Posttigger, on 14 March 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

i must admit, i have had the same experiences. more so when i was younger.. also hearing the phone ringing when i would shower. when i would hear my name called, my cat would go bonkers-banana's and do bog laps of the house.. running about and going nutso (probably not the best analogy to use, given the way that certain stereo-types have been bandied about ;) )

I used to hear my name called on the wind when I was a child.  No one was around that I could see many times when this happened.  I just woke up this morning and could have sworn I heard the phone ring once, but there was nothing on the caller ID (although sometimes a single ring doesn't register). A lot of strange things happen right before falling asleep or when waking up.  The mind is in a different state so it's easy to dismiss, but sometimes the phone DOES ring a shortly after thinking I heard it and that's when you wonder.  

I also have this thing when I look at something that is capable of lighting up (light bulb, LED display, phone message light, etc.) I often think I see it "lit" for a split second when turning my head that way, but it clearly wasn't lit (e.g. no message on the answering machine) and looks normal beyond that first moment when I could have sworn I saw the light on.  This only happens with devices capable of displaying light. I don't know if there's some part of the rods in my eye that can see things brighter as I turn my head (more rods on side than cones and so things look brighter than when you see them straight one) that registers as a light state or if it's purely my imagination at play (like I'm expecting the light to be lit).  It also doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen fairly often.  

It'd be interesting to set up an experiment to see whether I can tell a fake light (e.g. bulb with no filament) from a real one that is connected but in an off state (de-energized).  I've only ever noticed it on connected but off real lights (e.g. answering machine red light, car dash lights that are normally off like the check engine light, etc.)  Or is it some strange cognitive function outside normal space/time that can tell the light will be on again at some point?  Yeah, it sounds like nonsense, but it's the phone ringing thing all over again.  I've also dreamed how and in what circumstances a family member would die and it happened exactly that way one week later right down to the phone call my mother got.  That's less easy to dismiss as coincidence.

Edited by VonMagnum, 14 March 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#34    turn on tune in

turn on tune in

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postmaxxy, on 06 February 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

From time to time I hear a whispering voice call my name. Its when I lay down and close my eyes to sleep for the night . As soon as I am comfortable I here a voice whispering my name. Im the only one in the house. It did happen once when I was awake and someone was here and heard it. How do I find out who they are and what they want?

hi,

have a pen n paper handy by your bed side, when half asleep if you ever hear more than your name being whispered then its easy to forget what is mentioned.
esp if you get the lottery numbers whispered to you.
ocasionaly i get the odd friend say hello/goodbye, within 2 days i will then read thier names in the obituary section in the paper.
as for quacks/doctors - not a good idea. if you saw one and got the good news/all clear after being checked, you would always have the incident recorded on your medical records.

many famous people from einstien to other famous mathmatitians have claimed to be given information when asleep.

i think you will find you've got a family member or close friend thats passed on keeping an eye on you, and there nothing to worry about.

#35    I Am Not Resisting

I Am Not Resisting

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• "Security Forces wives don't have to be told not to resist."

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

Fair enough, VonMagnum.  While I do see where your frustration is coming from (especially if it happens as much as you say it does), I hope you realize that I was in no way trying to suggest that they are mentally ill.  I have no problem with someone exploring the possiblity that such occurences are paranormal, however I suggested they seek professional medical advice first to be on the safe side.  If everything checked out well with them, great!  Off to exploring they shall go!  :tu:

-Don't judge me.
-Did you just say "Don't touch me"?  We're in public!

#36    DarkCreed

DarkCreed

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

• What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters of what lies within us...

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

The same thing happens to me in my room! I'll hear little whispers coming from every direction. I am no longer freaked out because I got use to it, it happens about 3 times a week. I can't make out what they say though.

#37    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

hmm i came for the topic and stayed for the freaks :)

i heard my name called once.. it sounded like some monster thing? (deep booming voice) it sounded like it was angry.. never heard it again /shrugs

i don't know why, but it pissed me off to see various armchair authorities opining here (and continually) i also noticed 2 comments from the same detracter that were blatant contradictions. i don't point these things out any more.. i don't want to assist those types of people..

you know why i don't give a **** if people think i'm insane or whatever..? because this is like if i fell over and broke my leg.. would you blame me for that too? these are just things that happen to me (and it seems, other people also)

take a chance and talk about things.. i once mentioned this type of stuff to a neighbour (a 60 y.o lady) telling her about an experience once where i was drifting off and overheard these 2 little voices having a conversation with eachother about being quiet or i would hear them!? -- she turned around and said the same thing has happened to her :) so, ummm, instead of us both going to be filled with mind altering drugs, we're just happy to sit, drink tea and talk more of these things..

and i bolded that just to piss you off..

..i love people like you [nameless] ..you remind me of my control freak uncle..

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#38    VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

I used to often hear what sounded like a talk radio station or voices talking upstairs/downstairs in my 2nd house when I first woke up when I was still in college and living at home.  I thought my grandparents had come to visit and were talking with my mother (an occurence that did used to happen not infrequently) and this sounded similar, like 2-3 people were having a conversation upstairs (by bedroom was downstairs, half underground in a window-less room, which I liked because I had afternoon and evening classes and I could sleep in easier and it was cooler as well and I get hot easy) and I couldn't quite make out what they were saying, yet it was very distinctly there.  I'd get out of bed and go look and there'd be NOBODY upstairs and the house would be dead silent.

I've asked a lot of people about whether they've had something like that happen too and I've had three people in my immediate family all say it's happened to them occasionally when either falling asleep or more usually when first waking up.  I know lately I've been using nature sounds (ocean waves, crickets, waterfalls, etc.) to help me fall asleep since I have a bit of tinnitus in my left ear (sounds like Morris Code when I can hear it; some days are worse than others, but normally I can only hear it in completely quiet room and then it's kind of annoying) and I used to use a masking device (noisy air cleaner) that's pretty much bit the dust.  I have Klipsch THX Promedia speakers connected to an Airport Express and so I can beam anything into the room in my library so I got a bunch of nature sounds and new age music.   I usually just select either one sound (they're typically over an hour each) and put it on repeat or an album on repeat.

Anyway, I've noticed just the OPPOSITE when playing these things.  I'll keep their volume as low as I can stand (I don't want it to sound like the ocean is right next to my bed) and when I wake up in the morning I can't hear the speakers AT ALL.  It's just dead quiet (including no tinnitus) until I move my head and then suddenly there's the wave sounds.  It's like my brain actually shuts off the signal from my ears (so much for subliminal learning tapes while I sleep!)

I haven't had a truly quiet room to wake up too for a long time (other than when I visit my mother and stay overnight) and I wonder if the phenomina would still be there if it were quiet and would I really be hearing something or does it just get processed in the same part of the brain?  Is it a leftover effect from dreaming (I don't really 'hear' in most of my dreams; audio is usually just a 'thought sound' and so it seems unlikely).  I don't have any dental work so I doubt I was tuning in a radio station with a filling or something, although oddly I did have an epside at my mother's house a few months ago and it was the same sort of thing except I heard easy listening type music playing except that when I sat up, it was gone and the house was dead silent.  Where is it coming from?  I never heard that song before in my life either so it couldn't be a song stuck in my head.  But then I've dreamed of songs before, but I don't actually 'hear' them in my ear like that; they're just like a song playing in your head.  I HEARD this song and those talking voice things are the same way.  They sound like actual audible sounds, but only in that 'just waking up' state.  I can't help but wonder if there could somehow be another dimension overlaying this one.  Either that or the brain does some crazy strange things when it's not 100% awake.  Too bad I can't use that creative song writing power to my advantage.

#39    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

This happens a lot to sensitive people.You are not nuts,nor do you need psych meds.

This used to happen to me when I was little,and later on,I realized it was a not so nice entity.

They do it,knowing you can hear them.They used to do it right into my ear,as if they were lying next to me.Its quite unnerving.

When I learned how to do protection and banishing magick,it all stopped,permanently.

My experience does not mean something nasty is bothering you,but you can say aloud,"go away ,unless you are a friend".

Up to you.I learned to just tell them all to beat it.Loved ones around you,do not mess with you like that.

Miss me?

#40    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

This happens often during early sleep levels. I remember once when I was very little hearing my name as I fell asleep and have never heard anything (that I can recall) since other then as I'm waking from a dream.  I've heard names and random words mostly, but I heard the fridge door  open up once as well. lol
During early levels of sleep (level one mostly, I think) it's very common to experiance jerks, twitchs, and hallucinations.  It's a very light sleep and you are prone to waking extremely easily, sometimes not even being aware that you are asleep to begin with. Then it repeats as you finish the last sleep cycle.

Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on—or summations of—their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.[29
http://en.wikipedia....c_hallucination
]

Edited by sarah_444, 01 May 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#41    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Thats a bit strange. but i dont think its supernatural. your friend might of just thought they heard something. i agree with the people saying go get help from a doctor.

#42    VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I'm always amazed science has terms to describe whatever condition (e.g. Hypnagogic Imagery).  They have no proof where the sounds actaully come from and just assume it's all in your head.  But how is a 'hallucination' any more believable than tuning into another state of reality?  What makes the brain hallucinate on its own without drugs, etc.?  These aren't dreams we're talking about at all.  And even then, why do we dream?  I've never heard a truly cogent scientific explanation for dreaming because they have none.  Your brain is actaully working harder while you sleep than when you're awake and yet that's restful?  Maybe it's more like random pink noise to clear away the static patterns built up like on a plasma television that's had an image on it too long.  Really, I don't have a strong opinion one way or another.  I can't prove anything I've heard in those states is something real outside of me or just a weird brain state when not fully conscious.  You can't record it so you can't really analyze it too well.  OTOH, if you dream something and it happens just like in the dream, that does make me wonder (happened to me a few times with people dying exactly as the dream said they would).  That's a heck of coincidence to swallow.  But science doesn't believe in any kind of life after death since it can't prove it so any explanations involving such states are just right out the window and for most scientists akin to talking about faeries or hobgoblins.

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 01 May 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

This happens a lot to sensitive people.You are not nuts,nor do you need psych meds.

This used to happen to me when I was little,and later on,I realized it was a not so nice entity.

I used to hear my name 'on the wind' (i.e. no one was around to say it) on and off a lot when I was a kid.  It was like someone was letting me know I wasn't actually alone.  But that's all I heard.  My brother used to like to tell me how when I was a baby he accidentally locked me in our shared bedroom (there's a little hole you can unlock with a very small screwdriver so there was no real danger), but he swore the door actually unlocked itself and opened to let him back in.  That always kind of freaked me out as well.

I was born almost 2 months premature.  I was supposed to be born on December 22nd, but ended up being born a few days before Halloween.  I can remember as far back as 1 week old (I can disintinctly and accurately describe the ride home from the hospital in detail in the car as I remember it like it was yesterday.  I also could think when I was first born in cogent thoughts.  I don't know if they were English or not, but I knew what I was thinking as clear as day.  Specifically, I saw my brother playing with the power window controls in the back seat of the car behind my dad.  I somehow knew he was my brother for that matter.  I knew those controls were making the window go up/down and I knew I wanted to play with it too, but I couldn't.  I knew from my viewpoint looking back I must have been held in the front seat and facing over my mother's shoulder.  I knew the car was 4-door, had power windows and a bench seat in the front.  Knowing my dad's taste in cars later in life, I assumed it was probably a Caddillac.  Sure, enough, I asked about this when I was a teenager and my mother  said someone must have told me because how could I possibly remember that far back (they got rid of the car by the time I was 1 year old).

Some believe in reincarnation and some don't.  I was brought up to believe it was nonsense (baptist church), but yet I have memories from the Middle Ages that have been there as long as I can remember.   I had a dream 2 weeks before my niece was born and she looked like she did when she about 8-10 in the dream and she told me this story about how people with seemingly high IQs and child proidigies in certain areas really aren't what they appear to be.  They pick up things like the piano so easily because they played one in a previous life and so they re-learn it at a geometric rate faster because they're sub-conscious already knows how to play it.  The same holds true for language, math, etc.  I thought this was a REALLY strange dream and my brother thought they were having a boy.  I told them nope.  The doctors are wrong.  Sure enough, they had a girl and I swear she looked just like the dream around the 8-9 year range.  She doesn't seem terribly bright, so I've since assumed she was referring to me.  I did fit the profile.  I never had to study in school. I could speak in full sentences by 8 months and read at the 10th grade level by 2nd grade and was writing 12-20 page short stories by 3rd grade.  I never fit in because other kids could not relate to me.  I was never trouble for my mother growing up as I was never in that super immature stage.  I couldn't understand why other kids acted so irrational.  Personally, I tend to think I've lived here before and those memories of the Middle Ages might just be real.  What details I can remember seem to match the history books (looked it up in college when the Internet came about I could search it).  It's a strange feeling.  You just KNOW that science doesn't know squat about the purpose of life or the cycle of life and frankly someone like Plato seems to have had a better grip on it.  All the NDE data I've ever looked at seems right in line with the wheel of life story.  The Buddhists (and formerly the Gnostics until they were hunted down and scattered by the Catholic Church) seem to be the closest to the truth, although I think they're still missing some real data.

They do it,knowing you can hear them.They used to do it right into my ear,as if they were lying next to me.Its quite unnerving.

I had three experiences in the past year and two were at home and all of these were the first times since I moved in 2005 that I've had episodes like that.  One of the times, a voice whispered 3 times into my right ear, "Thank you", but it was drawn out kind of like a long whisper (almost like the way the snakes talk in the Harry Potter movies).  It's an odd thing to say if they want to antagonize me.  :D

The last things I heard before I moved from the old house where most the activity seemed to occur during my life was a strong clear male voice walking around the outside walls of the room, invisible while my head tracked it but I couldn't see anything.  The first time it happened the voice said, "The storms are coming" and I instantly saw a map of Texas appear in front of me and the voice announced a series of dates that I just coudn't recall.  A week later to the day it snowed in Texas right at ChristmasEve (this was 2004) and the next day the reports came flooding in about the tsunami in Indonesia.  I was freaked out.

About 4 months after the tsunami on April 28th, 2005, the same voice returned when I woke up and walked around the outside of the room again and this time said, "In 1686 days, prepare for the worst..." and faded out to where I couldn't make out what was being said anymore and then it disappeared.  Well, that was over 4 years from then on December 9th, 2009.  But this time, nothing seemed to happen on that day.  Prepare could mean soon after and I did have a horrible problem with my right shoulder 25 days later on January 2nd and ended up getting surgery several months later, but I can't really tie to the two together and I don't see any significant events that occurred at that time around the world, so I don't know what to make of it unless I missed something, like a starting date to count from.  Maybe it was just all a bizarre coincidence with the first dream, but it was definitely up there with the strangest thing to ever happen to me (I had a LOT of sleep paralysis in that house over the years and strange machine noises, etc., but this was not sleep paralysis (I had no trouble moving).  I also saw red orbs fly through my bedroom in that house two days in a row one time and one flew right up to me and it looked like it had a body shape in the red light.  I was not asleep (just lied down) and hadn't been using any medications or alcohol.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there are more things going on around us than we realize or understand, but a skeptic will dismiss it ALL without a second thought because it never happened to them.

#43    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

I don't think that hearing a whispering voice from time to time as you drift off to a level of sleep or as you are waking up means you need to rush off and seek professional help, nor do I think that someone should jump to paranormal conclusions of it being a ghost or "entity" or  whatever.

Like I said, I've experienced this before as well, which is partially why I started looking into the hypnagogic imagery more, but I still write everything down when it does happen the odd time just incase it proves to mean something more to me one day.

Sure, I believe there is much that science hasn't been able to explain as of yet, and I'm a very open minded person.  BUT, there are some people that seem to chalk up every experience they have to something supernatural or paranormal and need to remember that there are other explanations out there as well.

#44    VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Supernatural just means beyond ordinary nature.  It doesn't mean there's a faerie world or leprechauns or anything else.  But I figure if string theory even postulates a lot more dimensions than we can directly see or observe, a lot of things may be possible that are beyond everyday nature and still be scientifically plausible.  It's just that we don't understand it all yet.  But when people dismiss everything people experience as 'bunk' or 'bs' or 'hallucinations', it's not hard to see why people that experienced such things get cheesed off.  Just because I haven't been to the moon, that doesn't mean I have to assume the moon landing was Hollywood BS and it was all a fraud.  But yes, there are a lot of people that believe just that.  I sometimes wonder if you could take them there if they'd think you had them on psychadelic drugs or something because they simply don't believe it's possible.  But then we live in a world where the Earth used to be the center of the Universe and stars weren't suns and Mars had water canals.  These things tend to eventually sort themselves out in time, but that time might be a very long time.

#45    _Only

_Only

• 6,633 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostI Am Not Resisting, on 08 March 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

Whoa, who said anything about schizophrenia?  Paranoid much?  Posted Image

And I can tell you either haven't ever been to a psychologist or you've had very bad experiences in the past because psychologists A) don't play 'guessing games' when it comes to others' mental wellbeing, Posted Image don't hand out drugs whatsoever, and C) are far more understanding and helpful than you are giving them credit for.  They don't want to lock you away unless you are a harm to yourself and/or society.  There are many other reasons that someone would hear voices other than schizophrenia and a psychologist will explore all of those options.

Please get your facts straight before you go around bashing those that are there to help others.

Psychologists talk out your problems over time. Psychiatrists, however (like in the initial suggestion) prescribe pills and rarely spend more than 5-10 minutes with the patient; at least in the various doctors offices I've been to. The two are very different specialists, while they do dabble in the others duties when necessary (which unfortunately isn't exploited as much as it should be).

And just adding, the multiple psychiatrists I have seen (psychiatrists, not psychologists) do play a sort of guessing game with what they prescribe. It is infuriating to me how I tell them the problem, they look in their computer for a second, then give me a prescription. If I come back later saying the medication is seeming to do absolutely nothing, they simply say "okay, let's try a different one then", go back to their computer, look at the next pill they can give me, and prescribe it. All this takes place in a matter of minutes. It is completely aggravating. Especially since often one of the pills prescribed is an anti-anxiety pill. Oh, how helpful those are in the long run...

That aside, it is a bit rash to tell them to make an appointment with a psych because they hear something (hint in bold) as they are in that brief, mysterious time between being awake and asleep.

edit: Oh hell, this thing's got multiple pages. Guess I became an echo.

Edited by _Only, 03 May 2012 - 02:29 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users