Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Iceland 'Lake Monster' Captured on Film?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,614 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

www.icelandreview.com said:

Footage was captured of an obscure phenomenon yesterday which appeared to be swimming in the glacial river J÷kulsß Ý Fljˇtsdal, east Iceland.

People speculate whether this may be the notorious snake-like monster Lagarfljˇtsormurinn, which is said to reside in the lake Lagarfljˇt.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

It doesn't look too big, and looks very much like a rather cold snake.
Only problem with that is Iceland has no snake species naturally on the island. . Unless one has escaped from captivity. The other possiblilty is that this creature (as it would appear to be living) is a largish eel, possibly a conger eel or similar. It certainly isnt big enough to be what I would call a monster :)

#3    Goodnite

Goodnite

Outsider looking in.

• 1,020 posts

• Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

I could go with the fishing net theory. It seems the damn thing was cloaked in chunks of ice, much like a net being pulled through the water would become. :blush:

The King of the Beasts

#4    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

Psychic Spy

• 1,855 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostEnglishgent, on 06 February 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

It doesn't look too big, and looks very much like a rather cold snake.
Only problem with that is Iceland has no snake species naturally on the island. . Unless one has escaped from captivity. The other possiblilty is that this creature (as it would appear to be living) is a largish eel, possibly a conger eel or similar. It certainly isnt big enough to be what I would call a monster :)
I dont agree that it looks like a living creature.  he shape is formed by the ice on its left side.  The object is being pushed against and along the ice by the current.  The "head" doesnt lead its direction but rather gets pushed along at an off angle to its actual direction of travel.  As with most videos like this, if this was really a video of an unknown creature why stop filming as it got nearer?  It seems odd to simply stop filming as the creature becomes more and more visible.  The usual answer to this is the video is edited to end at this point because after the end it most likely becomes obvious what the object really is.

#5    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

View Postvitruvian12, on 06 February 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

I dont agree that it looks like a living creature.  he shape is formed by the ice on its left side.  The object is being pushed against and along the ice by the current.  The "head" doesnt lead its direction but rather gets pushed along at an off angle to its actual direction of travel.  As with most videos like this, if this was really a video of an unknown creature why stop filming as it got nearer?  It seems odd to simply stop filming as the creature becomes more and more visible.  The usual answer to this is the video is edited to end at this point because after the end it most likely becomes obvious what the object really is.

In most cases of alleged monster sightings I would have to agree with you. and I see where you are coming from regarding the current. But from the close-ups of this 'thing' it does look like an eel (or snake, but more likely an eel) The head is the right shape and the body is of the right proportions. It appears to be swimming like an eel too. If it was merely the current I dont think it would create the same effect. I think it would just  push the object along sideways rather than a snake-like movement.  . This appears to be swimiing through the current.
Of course, I could be wrong and without the original video to make a detailed study it is going to be one of those things that maybe wont be solved.
I think the fact remains, (whether it is real or an inanimate object), it is not a monster. :)

edit   typo :blush:

Edited by Englishgent, 06 February 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#6    quillius

quillius

52.0839░ N, 1.4328░ E

• 5,051 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostEnglishgent, on 06 February 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

If it was merley the current I dont think it would create the same effect. I think it would just  push the object along sideways rather than a snake-like momvement.  . This appears to be swimiing through the current.

I agree, the movement certainly seems to be there.

Any ideas on what is in the water at 0:5-0:14 bottom right of screen?

also is this the same object at 0:27 top right hand corner?

Lastly why the different shots (seemingly at two different angles) not just zoomed in. why edited for the zooming anyhow?

and as someone pointed out...why stop filming at key point ????

#7    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Okay, why did I get a " server not found " on this? LOL

Robbie James

#8    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

SO INTERESTING how the human mind works.

If this was NOT a video, and instead an eyewitness saw what is on the video, I wonder how their recollection would change over the course of a day, week, month, years, with the retelling? I wonder if the recollection would become sharper and all sorts of detail would embed itself into the memory.

#9    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

View Postquillius, on 06 February 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

I agree, the movement certainly seems to be there.

Any ideas on what is in the water at 0:5-0:14 bottom right of screen?

also is this the same object at 0:27 top right hand corner?

Lastly why the different shots (seemingly at two different angles) not just zoomed in. why edited for the zooming anyhow?

and as someone pointed out...why stop filming at key point ????

The video is jumping about all over the place when I try to view it and  very difficult to get the times you have given.  Also, when paused, you cannot go back in time like the usual video playback thingies.  Probably the slow  download I have just now. I will try looking again tomoz,
What Vitruvian has said could also be correct, if the object is tethered then it might be possible to give the effect that it is swimming like an eel, assuming the current was moving in the right direction. In this case the current appears to be coming from the left side but is might be that there is a strong undercurrent flowing from ''head to tail' of the object. This would, I think, give the movement seen. :)

#10    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

I think its someone playing tricks...an escaped snake couldnt live in the temperature of a glacial river for very long,if at all...

#11    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,262 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Anyone thinking its a robot?

#12    silentsinger

silentsinger

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostErix, on 06 February 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

Anyone thinking its a robot?

Yes, was my first thought as well, robot snake.

Edited by silentsinger, 06 February 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#13    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,276 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Whatever it was everything but a snake... I think it is some sort of snake and that one who said it is moving with the current was wrong last 5 seconds of the video shows it has its own path, it is moving up the river... and i think it's cool looks damn real to me. You should be lucky just to see such things like a video instead of someone telling you how it happened.

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#14    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostNuke_em, on 06 February 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

Whatever it was everything but a snake... I think it is some sort of snake and that one who said it is moving with the current was wrong last 5 seconds of the video shows it has its own path, it is moving up the river... and i think it's cool looks damn real to me. You should be lucky just to see such things like a video instead of someone telling you how it happened.

First snake i know of that can exist in obvious freezing conditions....may be wrong but it usually makes them shut down...:hmm:

#15    whatsthat

whatsthat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Probably a pair of old tights.

If you squint and with a bit of wishful thinking when it focuses in one end does look like the head of a snake.

Or it could be any old flotsam and jetsum and its movement could be down tobe being snagged under the surface.

Edited by whatsthat, 06 February 2012 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users