Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Dinosaurs Were So Huge

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,669 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

news.discovery.com said:

How did some dinosaurs reach such soaring heights -- up to 100 feet high in some cases? Efficient lungs and respiration, along with egg laying, might have given dinos a growth edge when compared to other animals, suggests new research.

The study also negates a popular theory that animals tended to become bigger over the course of their evolution.

While some dinosaurs grew ever larger over subsequent generations, not all did.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Interesting.

I've heard that it might be possible that the earth's atmosphere was slightly different, and that might have led to larger animals. Not sure if this has ever been verified at all though.

#3    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

• !! NO SPECIES LASTS FOREVER !!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 06 February 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Interesting.

I've heard that it might be possible that the earth's atmosphere was slightly different, and that might have led to larger animals. Not sure if this has ever been verified at all though.

I also heard that same which seems somewhat acceptable.But the link in this post gives better evidence.

Posted Image

#4    I Am Not Resisting

I Am Not Resisting

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• "Security Forces wives don't have to be told not to resist."

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

View PostSameerPrehistorica, on 06 February 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

I also heard that same which seems somewhat acceptable.But the link in this post gives better evidence.
What if it's both?  :ph34r:

Edited by I Am Not Resisting, 07 February 2012 - 01:27 AM.

-Don't judge me.
-Did you just say "Don't touch me"?  We're in public!

#5    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

I thought that the strength or force of GRAVITY affected the possible size an animal. The greater the force,the smaller the creatures. These large monsters baffle me.

#6    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Did these big guys wade about in deep water,and so their weight was supported . Seems like a good explanation to me.Bit of a problem laying eggs.

#7    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 06 February 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Interesting.

The atmosphere contained a lot more oxygen (about 20% more I think)  which allowed insects to get to very large sizes, like dragonflies with 3ft wingspans etc. This was due to how insects breath through their skin, which is totally different to animals. As the oxygen levels decreased to what they are today, the insects became smaller and smaller.
I suppose more oxygen may have helped the dinosaurs in some way but not sure about growth. Maybe it gave them more stamina, which in turn allowed muscle to form more easily followed by larger bones to support the extra muscle?, Just a thought. I am no expert on these matters :)

edit ....typo :blush:

Edited by Englishgent, 07 February 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#8    Octans

Octans

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Scientists have been investigating what lead some dinosaurs to grow to such enormous sizes.
I think I've got a lead: maybe lead led the dinosaurs to become so large.

To gaze upon the firmament with wondrous, vast consciousness; and for a moment to live amongst the stars as if I had a thousand years thence—to expunge mortal anxiety and to simply marvel in that instant of existence—is the nearest I shall ever come to eternity.

#9    chainsawcam

chainsawcam

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

diet? like fat people overeating?!?!

#10    Munkh

Munkh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

I had heard once that the air pressure may have been higher as well as more oxygen in the air. This would allow blood and other body fluids to be pumped the long distance to the extremities including the heads of some of these beasts. This also may have allowed for easier flight of the winged Dino's

#11    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,780 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

could that be because of alimentation? ancient plans had a low nutritional value. That means herbivores had to eat more to gain some valuable nutrient. With time they growt huge (look at sauropods, huge bellis and small heads)and carnivores followed to mach in size the giant herbivores.

#12    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:43 AM

Still doesn't explain some of the freak sizes we see in sauropods

Posted Image

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Missing the 'Banned' Wagon

• 4,731 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Interesting article, but we may never get the answers. This is like asking why some fish are small and some fish are large yet they all live in water. Evolution, environment and competition causes these size differences and these parameters will be unique for each animal (dinosaur) on the planet.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#14    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

The article also tries to explain why mammals could not grow that large.

But how about this one:

Paraceratherium is the largest land mammal known, larger than the largest species of mammoths (Mammuthus sungari, which may have approached it in size and weight). It is also known as the "giraffe rhinoceros". Adult Paraceratherium are estimated to have been 5.5 metres (18 ft) tall at the shoulder, 10 metres (33 ft) in length from nose to rump, a maximum raised head height of about 8 metres (26 ft), and a skull length of 1.5 metres (4.9 ft). Weight estimates vary greatly, but most realistic and reliable weight estimates are about 20(30) tonnes. This puts it in the weight range of some medium-sized sauropod dinosaurs.

http://en.wikipedia....Paraceratherium

Here it is, to the right of the elephant:

Posted Image

Edited by Abramelin, 09 February 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#15    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,093 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Dinosaurs got bigger and bigger because their moms and dads made them eat their fruit & veg!

No. Seriously.....

They obviously grew bigger if it was advantageous to do so. Not every species of dinosaur would gain an advantage thru being larger, so not all species grew to an enormous size.
Humans are going the same way. Taller people are more successful, earn more money, and have more children. Therefore, every future generation will be bigger than the one before, until it becomes a disadvantage (or no advantage) to be larger.
There's no reason why we can't have 20-feet-tall ants in the future. It's just natural selection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users