Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

No man shall see God and live?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,479 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

View PostHabitat, on 10 February 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:

MOYERS: Jesus did talk of bringing a sword, and I don’t believe he meant to use it against your fellow. He meant it in terms of opening the ego –I come to cut you free from the binding ego of your own self.

That is a pretty lame interpretation, IMO. I think it clear enough that the 'sword' was that which could unbind people from temporal affections of every kind, including familial.

Maybe he was just pissed when he was talking about bringing sword to this world.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#17    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

God doesn't exist.

#18    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:53 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 10 February 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

Maybe he was just pissed when he was talking about bringing sword to this world.
It was intended to convey to the masses that he was not a messianic leader intent on restoring peace to the oppressed masses under the Roman yoke via the literal sword, but an altogether different teaching to bring personal transformation via a cutting of bonds to worldly concerns.

#19    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 10 February 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

God doesn't exist.
Not in the dominant hemisphere of your brain, but the other side knows better !

#20    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

"Record

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostHabitat, on 10 February 2012 - 03:01 AM, said:

Not in the dominant hemisphere of your brain, but the other side knows better !
I have yet to be presented with a shroud of evidence to make me believe otherwise.

#21    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 10 February 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

I have yet to be presented with a shroud of evidence to make me believe otherwise.
You don't buy the Shroud of Turin either ?  :P That makes two of us, but think of it this way, when the sun is blazing in the sky, there is no evidence from your eyes that there is a universe of stars out there, it is only when the sun disappears we see what is there, . In this case, your blazing, dominant, rational mind is the Sun.

#22    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,383 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostHabitat, on 10 February 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

It was intended to convey to the masses that he was not a messianic leader intent on restoring peace to the oppressed masses under the Roman yoke via the literal sword, but an altogether different teaching to bring personal transformation via a cutting of bonds to worldly concerns.

To hell with the world?

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
http://www.astrology...ead.php?t=81593
http://www.astrology...&pictureid=6193

#23    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 10 February 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

To hell with the world?
For an interval.

#24    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

"Record

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostHabitat, on 10 February 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

You don't buy the Shroud of Turin either ?  :P That makes two of us, but think of it this way, when the sun is blazing in the sky, there is no evidence from your eyes that there is a universe of stars out there, it is only when the sun disappears we see what is there, . In this case, your blazing, dominant, rational mind is the Sun.
Are you implying that the reason that I can't accept the feasibility of a God is simply because I haven't opened my eyes?

#25    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 10 February 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

Are you implying that the reason that I can't accept the feasibility of a God is simply because I haven't opened my eyes?
Not literally, but figuratively. In time, we can "see" things differently.

#26    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostChloeB, on 10 February 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

Why though, what would be the point of unbinding you from temporal affections of every kind?  We talked about this before, Buddha leaving his family.  Why did they all do that?  Trying to be free of attachments, correct?  I would assume that he's talking about is the attachment to the idea of self, ego as the final one or the foundation of what all other attachments are built upon, imo.
Once again, I am not advocating anyone do this, but to have the awareness that this is really the essence of true religiosity, is knowledge well worth having. As long as you are distracted by the external, or your memories of it, you cannot "tune in" to the God-like within, because it owes nothing to the "accident" of your personal history.. But such withdrawl is difficult and dangerous, and it does require "faith" that the goal is worth the travail.

As Christ is reputed to have said, "No one who puts his hand to the plough, and looks back, is fit for the kingdom of God."
We have to rely on the reportage of the likes of Meister Eckhart, that the consummation of this work is of such gravity, that anything that happened in your previous life seems the merest nothing by comparison.

#27    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,479 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

View PostHabitat, on 10 February 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Eye of a beholder, man. Bible is like a kaleidoscope.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

#28    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 10 February 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

Eye of a beholder, man. Bible is like a kaleidoscope.
Not that ambiguous, in this instance. He was asked if he came to bring peace.....and attempted to explain that he was not that kind of messiah, of which there was no shortage in leading rebellions against Roman domination.

#29    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,479 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:19 AM

View PostHabitat, on 10 February 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Not that ambiguous, in this instance. He was asked if he came to bring peace.....and attempted to explain that he was not that kind of messiah, of which there was no shortage in leading rebellions against Roman domination.

You and I can see that way. But it can be still ambiguous if you try hard to interpret in a certain way. Human mind is a weird thing.

#30    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,612 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostHabitat, on 10 February 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

Once again, I am not advocating anyone do this, but to have the awareness that this is really the essence of true religiosity, is knowledge well worth having. As long as you are distracted by the external, or your memories of it, you cannot "tune in" to the God-like within, because it owes nothing to the "accident" of your personal history.. But such withdrawl is difficult and dangerous, and it does require "faith" that the goal is worth the travail.

As Christ is reputed to have said, "No one who puts his hand to the plough, and looks back, is fit for the kingdom of God."
We have to rely on the reportage of the likes of Meister Eckhart, that the consummation of this work is of such gravity, that anything that happened in your previous life seems the merest nothing by comparison.

Why would Jesus bother healing people of physical ailments if he was unconcerned about "the external"?

You paint a picture of a Buddha-like figure, but is purely your personal take on the whole narrative and ignores many of it's more earthly elements.

Chloe,

I suspect the admonition against looking at the face of God may have it's roots in mystic beliefs surrounding the eyes.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users