Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is house cat poo making humans crazy?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,890 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

www.theatlantic.com said:

Jaroslav Flegr is no kook. And yet, for years, he suspected his mind had been taken over by parasites that had invaded his brain. So the prolific biologist took his science-fiction hunch into the lab. What heís now discovering will startle you. Could tiny organisms carried by house cats be creeping into our brains, causing everything from car wrecks to schizophrenia? A biologistís science- fiction hunch is gaining credence and shaping the emerging science of mind- controlling parasites.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Eternal Seeker

• 2,648 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

That's crazy. But, I wouldn't be surprised, because most of the cat owners I knew seemed a little koo-koo. :rofl:

#3    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,512 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

No. But the dog poo on the sidewalk makes me crazy!

#4    Wyvernkeeper

Wyvernkeeper

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Pretty sure Fortean Times had a feature on this a few years back.  They used this research and looked at the link between witches familiars (in this case cats,) and possibilities of the role of schizophrenia etc in the practice of witchcraft.  It was very interesting.

#5    Dougal

Dougal

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

That is both scary and so interesting! Great article, gonna have to go home and do some more research now though! :P

"Science is simply common sense at its best that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic." Thomas Henry Huxley English biologist.
"Shall I refuse my dinner because I do not fully understand the process of digestion?" Oliver Heaviside English physicist.

#6    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Amazing article, kinda creepy really. I always knew I didn't like cats

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#7    Singularis

Singularis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

• No face which we can give to a matter will stead us so well at last as the truth. This alone wears well.

- Henry David Thoreau

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

A very interesting, informative, and enlightening article. It's going to make me more aware of my own behavior now. Did it say you could be infected only from eating it, or can it be inhaled?

#8    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,104 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

I've had cats all my life, so I will never be able to tell if my personality is due to ingesting cat feces or not.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#9    Wreck7

Wreck7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

• Eat right, Exercise daily, Die anyway.......

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

That would explain the cat ladys behaviour

In an effort to conserve energy the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

#10    mushymopman

mushymopman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• trust all your senses

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Never under estimate the power of the *****.

#11    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 20,331 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Whole article boils down to these two short sentences:

“But I don’t know whether my personality traits have anything to do with the infection.”
Even the author admits the possible changes are so subtle it’s hard to notice them and impossible to determine if they were caused by parasite or virtually anything else.

“To me that suggests the parasite may trigger schizophrenia in genetically susceptible people.”
Just like anything else we’re exposed to can trigger anything you’re genetically susceptible to.

In short, people don’t become schizophrenic from cleaning litter boxes. Damn the sensationalist style, it’s impossible to read about anything anymore without having episodes of justified rage.
See, I’m surrounded by cats since birth... no, before the birth too... so I must be carrying that bug, but I’m the exact opposite of what this bull theory proposes. Statistics has become the art of drawing deliberately wrong conclusions out of pile of messed up data, and that additionally pisses me off.

Who pays for that science?

Edited by Helen of Annoy, 11 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Laurent did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#12    felines3

felines3

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• The more normal something appears to be,
    The more insane; it actually is.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

I agree with you Helen.

#13    H.H. Holmes

H.H. Holmes

Rebel Without A Cause

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

• I'm going platinum...

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

I agree with you, Helen.  

There needs to be some real, substantial controlled studies to determine whether the toxoplasma gondii parasite causes the cognitive differences found in some individuals exposed to it or if it merely aggravated a genetic predisposition to those behaviors (maybe it doesn't have any effect on the brain and the comorbitity between the cognitive symptoms and the toxoplasma is simply a coincidence). A study involving twins would be a great way to start, yet even then their enviroment would have to be largely similar with the only difference between the two is the exposure to the toxoplasma parasite. This would be difficult, imo.

Knowledge Speaks, Wisdom Listens- Jimi Hendrix
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.-Friedrich Nietzsche
The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.-Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.-Mohandas Gandhi

#14    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,354 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 11 February 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Whole article boils down to these two short sentences:

Even the author admits the possible changes are so subtle itís hard to notice them and impossible to determine if they were caused by parasite or virtually anything else.

Just like anything else weíre exposed to can trigger anything youíre genetically susceptible to.

In short, people donít become schizophrenic from cleaning litter boxes. Damn the sensationalist style, itís impossible to read about anything anymore without having episodes of justified rage.
See, Iím surrounded by cats since birth... no, before the birth too... so I must be carrying that bug, but Iím the exact opposite of what this bull theory proposes. Statistics has become the art of drawing deliberately wrong conclusions out of pile of messed up data, and that additionally pisses me off.

Who pays for that science?

If you read the article, the main guys research was hardly paid for at all.  Also, this is a very prevalent parasite.  It should be studied, and contrary to your belief the studies were done in excellent ways and the results are very strong.  This is not a case of statistics being wrong or deliberately wrong conclusions, whatever that is.  Your own emotions and inaccurate anecdotal evidence are not going to change anything.  Definitely more research needs to be done and it looks like that is happening all around the world.  This could lead to very good things, and none of it has to do with getting rid of your cats or anything like that. Just chill out, really.

#15    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,354 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostH.H. Holmes, on 11 February 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

I agree with you, Helen.  

There needs to be some real, substantial controlled studies to determine whether the toxoplasma gondii parasite causes the cognitive differences found in some individuals exposed to it or if it merely aggravated a genetic predisposition to those behaviors (maybe it doesn't have any effect on the brain and the comorbitity between the cognitive symptoms and the toxoplasma is simply a coincidence). A study involving twins would be a great way to start, yet even then their enviroment would have to be largely similar with the only difference between the two is the exposure to the toxoplasma parasite. This would be difficult, imo.

These studies were really good and multidimensional.  I am sure there will be more studies in the future.  The best study for right now would be to set up a system where you can look at human CNS neurons and infect them.  Unfortunately, only glial cells can be made immortal, neurons are terminally differentiated.  I still think it could be worked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users