Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UFO filmed over Thames estuary

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,075 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Footage of strange lights in the sky over London has generated great interest online this week.

Mirror.co.uk said:

Footage of a flickering orb hovering over the Thames Estuary was caught by a passing motorist on February 5. It was then uploaded to YouTube under the username Space999dude, where the bizarre images have caused a stir among UFO hunters.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,860 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

Without any reference points in the video, this could be absolutely anything.
With any luck there could be other videos or a longer version that does have some context.
I'm not inclined to search, however.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 13 February 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#3    clfr21

clfr21

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

i thought the same, there is nothing to show how big it is, where in the sky it is or anything useful.

#4    Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

I was just about to make the same comment as Imaginarynumber1.  Reference points are a must.  Though, the footage is good, it lacks reliability due to the lack of reference and the fact that it is only 53 seconds long.  Why wouldn't you film this thing for as long as possible?  It would be the most surreal and amazing thing I could ever see.  I would not take my eyes, or film equipment off of it, until it left my view...I am just sayin'

#5    WolfBane

WolfBane

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

• “All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day." -The Joker -

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

there is a second video with a few possible reference areas here:

still kinda hard to saw though!

#6    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Looks like a foorprint in the sky. Bigfoot has been taking flying lessons

#7    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

footprint

#8    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

The Thames Estuary is an approach area for Gatwick and Heathrow airports. Lots of lights in this area  so must be something to do with aircraft on finals.

#9    Alladar

Alladar

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• “Due to the lack of experienced trumpeters, the end of the world has been postponed for three weeks”

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Trawler???
Posted Image

Alladar
Posted Image

#10    6181143919

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• What a terrible monster I am.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

Gatwick & Heathrow would be on red alert if there was an unidentified aircraft in there air space. I agree with Imaginarynumber1, reference points, and it's the wrong atmosphere for london. i know it sounds strange but you know when things just aint right........you know?

#11    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostSaru, on 13 February 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Footage of strange lights in the sky over London has generated great interest online this week.

Very impressive; more detail than the usual dot of light in the sky which could make one suspicious; on the other hand definitely not a plane because it is too static, an not a tower because it is too high (beginning of 2nd clip).  Intriguing.

Posted Image

#12    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

View Postzoser, on 13 February 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Very impressive; more detail than the usual dot of light in the sky which could make one suspicious; on the other hand definitely not a plane because it is too static, an not a tower because it is too high (beginning of 2nd clip).  Intriguing.

Looking at clip 2 again; stop at 0:53.  The level of the ground is clear, but why is region above ground level divided into 2 parts with the object sitting directly between the two?  Could the darker region be the ocean?  Is that why someone on youtube suggested an oil rig?  If so why is the division between the ocean and the sky not horizontal?  The angle of the camera?  Could the division be explained by cloud types?  I will try and get some response from the owner on youtube.  Without knowing the area too well the sea would I think be visible from the Thames Estuary.

Posted Image

#13    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,086 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostWolfBane, on 13 February 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

there is a second video with a few possible reference areas here:

still kinda hard to saw though!
Well, that's obviously a Ship, isn't it. Observe how it's right on the horizon when he Zooms out.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#14    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I did a few screen shots and highlighted some areas in PAINT. (Was being as fast as possible so not exactly a pro job here editing) After watching the second video, as in the first there was absolutely no reference points as said by previous posts, I can say with 100% certainty it's nothing more than a boat. I'm not from the area but, do they fish out there? Commercial fishing vessels have VERY bright lights. Anyway, below are the screenshots.

Posted Image

Above is the Original Image. Now below shows our horizon point reference:

Posted Image

Again, I was merely pointing out as fast as possible the horizon so we could positively identify this boat on a horizon ref. point. We can clearly see this object is on the water and either equal too or below our horizon (meaning it's closer to shore than previously thought)

Next is an image of a reflection from the lights in the water. This is important due to the fact it shows this image is exceedingly close to the water.

Posted Image

You can clearly see the reflection of the top brightest light in the water. If you watch the second clip, and look at this reflection, you will actually see it changing with the waves that go against the boat.

#15    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,585 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I would say that this is a ship nearly bows on to the camera if you magnify it you can see light reflecting on the water,which are the two faint lights at the bottom of the objrct.I have seen similar to this when approaching another vessel at sea,although ships pass port to port sides,except Greeks/Panamanians which please themselves as there is usually no one on the bridge anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users