Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA to scale back Mars budget

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,311 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Frankly I'm more concerned about how such moves impact STEM education at  a time when we should be encouraging more of our young people to go into the STEM fields.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#17    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostOffeiriad, on 14 February 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

I don't understand why the government has to be the one to fund space exploration exclusively.

It's called the Constitution of the United States of America.
Congress controls the purse strings for Government program funding.

What's wrong with letting the private companies take over? I think private companies would work harder to reduce cost for getting people into space faster than the government would. All NASA has to do is request more money and they have it, no reason to attempt cost reduction.

Somewhat naive.

Private companies do not have the manned spaceflight experience required to execute such a mission.  NASA has the experience in manned spaceflight.  NASA will be involved as the overseer of all private enterprize involvement in space exploratory activities.  They've held this role since their inception and it would be folly to have any other option on the table.

Private enterprize has always been an integral part of manned space flight in the United States.  But it's NASA's expertise in the management of a program, along side the integral involvement of private firms employing hundreds of thousands in the effort, that will provide for further exploratory programs.

As you may have noted, NASA cannot ask for more momney and just get it.  Short sighted government has prohibited real funding of any manned exploration program.  We are in a state of stasis, and a disgraceful state of development, especially under the current administration and their current NASA administrator.

Without support, it doesn't matter how hard private industry tries.  It's not going to happen.  There are too many things involved that people just do not realize.

Good Lord!
Private industry doesn't even have the kind of heavy lift launch experience required to operate a lunar landing mission launch vehicle.
Doesn't mean they couldn't someday, but I guarantee you, people like those at NASA will teach them how, monitor their progress, and call the shots.

To simply speak to private industry executing a lunar landing mission is folly.

#18    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostRafterman, on 19 February 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Frankly I'm more concerned about how such moves impact STEM education at  a time when we should be encouraging more of our young people to go into the STEM fields.

That's a concern, I'm sure.
Waiting for so long to see something like STEM come into play...a rememdy to the decline in education that occurred in the decades post-Apollo...I WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT ANYTHING THAT WOULD INHIBIT SUCH A PROGRAM FROM DEVELOPING TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL!

:tu:

#19    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,842 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostMID, on 19 February 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

That's a concern, I'm sure.
Waiting for so long to see something like STEM come into play...a rememdy to the decline in education that occurred in the decades post-Apollo...I WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT ANYTHING THAT WOULD INHIBIT SUCH A PROGRAM FROM DEVELOPING TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL!

:tu:

Well then we better get out and Vote again ,Right ? other wise Larry  Curley , and Moe will be running our country !  NASA needs to have a few million Bake sales too ! :tu:
Dont make me get my Big Gun out !

Attached Files

This is a Work in Progress!

#20    George Ford

George Ford

Shadow Slayer

• 2,712 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Remember its your money the government use and they spend for the good of the people. But for some reason Americans voted to put people in power that wanted to spend trillions upon trillions on war instead of things like space exploration. Vote for someone else next time.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#21    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,144 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Postbulveye, on 26 February 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Remember its your money the government use and they spend for the good of the people. But for some reason Americans voted to put people in power that wanted to spend trillions upon trillions on war instead of things like space exploration. Vote for someone else next time.

You can like or dislike the current administration, but it inherited those wars from the previous administration , so that claim is not really fair in my point of view.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#22    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

View Postbulveye, on 26 February 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Well, it's not actually the war that the current administration has spent trillions on.  It was the Bush administration that spent billions on it.
We've spent trillions of future dollars on things we shouldn't have with the current administration, asnd effectively scrapped a U.S. manned space program.

Time to get it right.

#23    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,842 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostMID, on 26 February 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

Well, it's not actually the war that the current administration has spent trillions on.  It was the Bush administration that spent billions on it.
We've spent trillions of future dollars on things we shouldn't have with the current administration, asnd effectively scrapped a U.S. manned space program.

Time to get it right.

SO true ,You can steal from Peter to never pay back Paul,only to find that the money in the First place was all make believe money,from the underground printing presses.
So this leaves us with No space program,No really Good method of quick turn around  launch,and really bad Lunches for the three people left to Run NASA. I bet they feel like America has dumped them into the Round File cabinet !
I say it time to Get ourselfs back on the Top of Space exploration.
We can rebuild him, make him better than a  ,Oh that was a 70`s flash back. Sorry.  Anywho We can Rebuild this program, and Get our Great NASA back into the Lead of Space  Travel !
just my Opinion ,I know money talks and B.S walks !
THats the other problem with America too much B.S.
THe Bush years didnt help ,but THe people didnt help either ! Were all to Blame. GEt out and Vote !

Attached Files

#24    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,842 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

Looks like its getting even more Grim for MArs and our return ! ANyone got a spare Billion sitting under there bed ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users