Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Brown Mountain Lights remain a mystery

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,350 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

www2.morganton.com said:

No matter how they try, scientists ranging from paranormal investigators to serious physicists are unable to unlock the mystery of the Brown Mountain Lights in Burke County.

“Artists and scientists alike have congregated around this phenomena,” said Joshua P. Warren, Asheville native turned paranormal investigator who spoke before a crowd of 120 Saturday at city hall at a symposium on the Brown Mountain Lights.

The Brown Mountain Lights, which can be seen from several vantage points along the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Brown Mountain Overlook on North Carolina Highway 181, have been explained as a series of orange-like orbs by those who claim to have seen them.

Stories surrounding the lights range from Indian legends about former slaves to UFO and U.S. military activity.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Katmir

Katmir

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'll be there on the 25th with Joshua P Warren and his crew to check this out. We'll see what we can quantify. Should be fun..!

#3    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Are they similar to Marlboro Lites?

OK seriously... these seem similar to various other lights, such as at Marfa & Sedona in the States, the Min-Min lights in Australia, and indeed the much researched Hessdalen in Norway etc.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#4    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Well, if the lights don't have an explanation, then promote them as a tourist attraction and help support the local community. :tu:
Read >this article which sheds more light on the subject (pardon the pun). :)

#5    BrandOfAmber

BrandOfAmber

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• Life is the lust of the lamp for the light that is dark till the dawn of the day that we die...

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

OOOOH!  Earthlights!  One of the last true atmospheric mysteries on our planet.  Has anyone ever seen a map where these sightings are plotted?  Soooooooooooo interesting...

#6    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostBrandOfAmber, on 14 February 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

OOOOH!  Earthlights!  One of the last true atmospheric mysteries on our planet.  Has anyone ever seen a map where these sightings are plotted?  Soooooooooooo interesting...
Yep -- now that you mention it, that explains everything! :innocent:

#7    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,702 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostBrandOfAmber, on 14 February 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Are you able to link to a picture of the map?

#8    Logical Thought

Logical Thought

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for posting this Still Waters, I'm from N.C. and I'm really interested in paranormal phenomena in my state. The Brown mountain lights seem to be one of the few unexplained things around here besides the "Devil's stomping ground". I hope you post more weirdness about N.C. in the future, I can't seem to find much when I look.

#9    Whatsinausername

Whatsinausername

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 170 posts

• My God's not dead he's surely alive.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

Ok this might sound stupid, but has anyone actually bothered wandering over there to see them up close?

#10    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostLogical Thought, on 15 February 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

Thanks for posting this Still Waters, I'm from N.C. and I'm really interested in paranormal phenomena in my state. The Brown mountain lights seem to be one of the few unexplained things around here besides the "Devil's stomping ground". I hope you post more weirdness about N.C. in the future, I can't seem to find much when I look.

Would you lose interest if they were perfectly natural rather than paranormal?  
IMO it is more likely to be marsh gas (in the UK we call it ''will 'o the wisp'). Shame the attached link didn't show any photographs so I am only giving a guess here.    :)

#11    switchopens

switchopens

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Is fraudster Joshua P Warren still selling his magic bottled water?

#12    evil_kenshin

evil_kenshin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostWhatsinausername, on 15 February 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

Ok this might sound stupid, but has anyone actually bothered wandering over there to see them up close?

whether true or not an episode of unsolved mysteries that dealt with this (not sure it was the brown mountain lights but a similar phenomenon) said that no matter how close you get it always seems further away

#13    poetr4

poetr4

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

hey guys i,ve been to brown mountain before and it is shared between four wheeling, dirt bike riding, and camping. to me those look like lights on a trail.

#14    poetr4

poetr4

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Well, if the lights don't have an explanation, then promote them as a tourist attraction and help support the local community.
Read >this article which sheds more light on the subject (pardon the pun).
well going by the article then they could be paranormal, but there is sill a high possibility of them being trailgoer's lights.

#15    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,506 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

I've seen the lights and I would positively say they are not man-made. Being an avid camper and boater I've seen campfires, ATV lights, flashlights and lantern lights in the woods, but have never seen a light ball that floats around like they do.

No, I didn't take any pictures. :P  It was too far away, it was about midnight, we were tired and just wanted to get home. We stopped for a few minutes on the side of the road to stretch our legs and happened to see it. I had forgotten all about hearing about them until then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users