Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Atheist Rally in DC

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

View Postand then, on 18 February 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

My problem with the few Atheists I've known is their attitude of superiority.  I don't go around haranguing people with the Gospel.  I share when it seems appropriate and never follow up if someone is disinterested.  That tack is not acceptable for them.  No, they actually feel the need to needle and ridicule a person of faith for being mindless or ignorant about how the world really is...
I see the same thing here although I have no idea about the personal faith of those involved and don't really care.  But there are a few who use every opportunity to vilify Christianity and look down the nose at the "idiots" who profess faith in it.  Oddly enough, no such proscription against Islam, Buddhism or Judaism.  Odd isn't it?

Well christianity is talked about most because it's so big and popular in the West. Other mythologies are just as ridiculous to nonbelievers as a bloodstained cross one.

Is there some reason why we shouldn't vilify christianity? It's a hate group and it's teachings even speak strongly against nonbelievers and other faiths. You reap what you sow.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#32    a vampire wears my boxers

a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

• like empty prayers from a disentigrating throat

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

would really like the opportunity to go to an Atheist rally one day. be cool to meet others with similar thoughts. i only know of a couple other atheists personally, and they are family. i see rallies such as this not as irony or hypocrisy. it is a necessity. it lets others know that they arent taking crazy pills, we arent some defective model of human for not "feeling the glory of a higher creator with whose love is everlasting.....etc". i didnt even realize that non-belief was an option until my late teens. i had a distrust in the existence of a god since a young age, but never knew how to express it for fear of shunning by my family. so yeah, i think these are pretty freakin sweet!

it looks like the upper hand, is on the other foot.

i guess they would say we could set this world ablaze

i have never tried to succeed at anything, therefore i have never failed.

#33    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

View Post__Kratos__, on 18 February 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

Well christianity is talked about most because it's so big and popular in the West. Other mythologies are just as ridiculous to nonbelievers as a bloodstained cross one.

Is there some reason why we shouldn't vilify christianity? It's a hate group and it's teachings even speak strongly against nonbelievers and other faiths. You reap what you sow.
It's not a hate group. And you speak just as strongly on your behalf. Last I checked the bible doesn't encourage death to all non believers like some other religion we all know of. Anytime I've been to church I have only heard messages of peace and do-goodery talk. But...You're going to find fanatics anywhere you want to. Just look to the sports world. Do you hate sports just because it produces rabid followers? Sports related violence by fans  is probably second only to radical religios violence.

Just go and lay your hands on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and I think you're gonna finally understand~ Charlie Daniels

Id say the biggest issue i have with hard core christians is that they completely refute eveolution and think the earth is only 6000 years old and the universe is void of life except here. Basically, the ignoring of modern science. But really, I don't care. Those views aren't hurting anyone.

Posted Image

#34    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostIs it for real, on 18 February 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

It's not a hate group. And you speak just as strongly on your behalf. Last I checked the bible doesn't encourage death to all non believers like some other religion we all know of.

I think it is a hate group, and the bible does encourage death to non-believers.  The Book of Deuteronomy is the worst.

http://biblebabble.c...aw.com/laws.htm

Deuteronomy 13:6-10

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Lol:

Edited by HavocWing, 18 February 2012 - 06:17 PM.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#35    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,140 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

View Postand then, on 18 February 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

My problem with the few Atheists I've known is their attitude of superiority.  I don't go around haranguing people with the Gospel.  I share when it seems appropriate and never follow up if someone is disinterested.  That tack is not acceptable for them.  No, they actually feel the need to needle and ridicule a person of faith for being mindless or ignorant about how the world really is...
I see the same thing here although I have no idea about the personal faith of those involved and don't really care.  But there are a few who use every opportunity to vilify Christianity and look down the nose at the "idiots" who profess faith in it.  Oddly enough, no such proscription against Islam, Buddhism or Judaism.  Odd isn't it?

As far as I can see it`s the believers and not just christians that look down there nose at none believers due to the fact they believe they know of some superior god. People of faith put more behind that faith then they do behind there fellow man and in doing so come off as knowing a supernatural being and being better off for doing so.  It`s a redundant thought proccess that changes little.

Religion in general has divided the masses for thousands of years and to what gain. Religion is not that much different than racisim.  

As far as atheists picking on christians ha. Can you imagine an atheist living in Saudi Arabia and posting this. Probably jailed or killed. So ya In the so called freedom we have in the west, christianity is the target. Why, because christianity given the chance would turn every nation into a religious dictatorship given half a chance.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#36    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

It's not a hate group. And you speak just as strongly on your behalf. Last I checked the bible doesn't encourage death to all non believers like some other religion we all know of. Anytime I've been to church I have only heard messages of peace and do-goodery talk. But...You're going to find fanatics anywhere you want to. Just look to the sports world. Do you hate sports just because it produces rabid followers? Sports related violence by fans  is probably second only to radical religios violence.

Just go and lay your hands on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and I think you're gonna finally understand~ Charlie Daniels

Id say the biggest issue i have with hard core christians is that they completely refute eveolution and think the earth is only 6000 years old and the universe is void of life except here. Basically, the ignoring of modern science. But really, I don't care. Those views aren't hurting anyone.

It is a hate group... Just look how the bible teaches christians to treat nonbelievers, homosexuals, women and other faiths. Plus all the genocide, rape and conquering just in the bible makes it a pretty bloody book. I mean it's pretty sad when the "bad" guy in the myth (satan) kills less people then their own god does in a book meant to give people a set of values to live with.

Those views against science are hurting a lot of people actually. It's hurting the critical thinking factors and the acceptance of facts to move on to a better life.

I do speak strongly about things but I can't say that I've ever thought it was ok to torture and murder a baby and then order his mother to be raped like the bible does. (2 samuel 12) I guess that's what separates me apart from christians.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#37    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

This is ridiculous. You're looking at it from a most radical dark ages view.

Posted Image

#38    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostIs it for real, on 18 February 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

The bible comes from the dark ages

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#39    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,209 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostIs it for real, on 18 February 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

You don't have to look at the bible from a dark ages views, those word are in there today. All the the rape, torture, murder and incest is still in that book today.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#40    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,362 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

View Post__Kratos__, on 18 February 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

On this we certainly agree.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#41    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,362 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 18 February 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

As far as I can see it`s the believers and not just christians that look down there nose at none believers due to the fact they believe they know of some superior god. People of faith put more behind that faith then they do behind there fellow man and in doing so come off as knowing a supernatural being and being better off for doing so.  It`s a redundant thought proccess that changes little.

Religion in general has divided the masses for thousands of years and to what gain. Religion is not that much different than racisim.  

As far as atheists picking on christians ha. Can you imagine an atheist living in Saudi Arabia and posting this. Probably jailed or killed. So ya In the so called freedom we have in the west, christianity is the target. Why, because christianity given the chance would turn every nation into a religious dictatorship given half a chance.
I've read quite a few of your posts and have always considered you to be a thoughtful, intelligent individual but that statement is ridiculous. If you really believe that then you haven't met any Christians who even try to live by the teachings of Christ.  
The whole essence of Christ's teaching is about love and forgiveness - freewill and consequences.  The religion you describe in that sentence is Islam.  Being anti Christian in these forums is free.  No cost at all.  Same goes for speaking your mind (about Christianity) in public in the West.  Try it with Islam and you're apt to get dead.  But do we hear an uproar over that reality?  Nope..cause it could cost something.

#42    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,359 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

There is nothing more violent in the qur'an than in the bible contrary to popular belief.

#43    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,359 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

View Postand then, on 19 February 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

I've read quite a few of your posts and have always considered you to be a thoughtful, intelligent individual but that statement is ridiculous. If you really believe that then you haven't met any Christians who even try to live by the teachings of Christ.  
The whole essence of Christ's teaching is about love and forgiveness - freewill and consequences.  The religion you describe in that sentence is Islam.  Being anti Christian in these forums is free.  No cost at all.  Same goes for speaking your mind (about Christianity) in public in the West.  Try it with Islam and you're apt to get dead.  But do we hear an uproar over that reality?  Nope..cause it could cost something.

Again, spoken through pure hate and ignorance, while swearing that you follow a loving religion.  It is very unimpressive.

#44    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,585 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

An Atheist rally wouldn't interest me at all. Big deal...we have not believing in common. I'd much rather go to something where everyone has a common interest in an activity or hobby. There is nothing interesting or worth discussing about not believing in my opinion.

#45    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,362 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:51 AM

View PostFurthurBB, on 19 February 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

Again, spoken through pure hate and ignorance, while swearing that you follow a loving religion.  It is very unimpressive.
Do you even live in the same universe?  Is English a second language for you?  What was hateful about what I just said?  Or perhaps it was just that what I said touched a nerve?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users