Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 6 votes

Sumatran Orang Pendek Hairs Match Rock Hyrax

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,652 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

tailormaneinafog, on 20 February 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Hi ealdwita. Thanks for the extra info, very interesting. The 'sun bear' proposal would have been considered by all the experts and locals alike. People aren't stupid. They would have been filmed and seen with more clarity if it was just sun bears, surely?

Hi Tailorman. The sun bear has been considered of course, but taking into account that cannabis is a local cash crop and is smoked or chewed by most jungle people above the age of seven, there's no telling what's been seen!

Another interesting cryptid story I have encountered is the Ngoloko, or Nandi Bear. This time in Kenya, but that's another story.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#32    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Englishgent, on 20 February 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

So Tailor, you obviously are not stupid with that sort of degree and past employment, yet you can see things like helicopter shadows and say they are some sort of physical being? (as per a previous post)
I find this a little hard to believe. Maybe your obsession with these alleged creatures has got the better of you and you are no longer thinking scientifically. :mellow:
Intelligence in one area doesnt automatically grant it in other non related areas, nor does it magically grant common sense.

#33    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

vitruvian12, on 20 February 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Intelligence in one area doesnt automatically grant it in other non related areas, nor does it magically grant common sense.

I would tend to agree with you Vitruvian, but if one has held a position for 8 years doing scientific research, one would expect the methodology of that type of research to rub off in other areas, which does not appear to be the case :)

#34    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,065 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

ealdwita, on 20 February 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Another interesting cryptid story I have encountered is the Ngoloko, or Nandi Bear. This time in Kenya, but that's another story.
The Nandi Bear is one crypto that actually might be a hyrax. Hyrax used to be all over Europe, Asia and Africa, with large bear/cow sized ones roaming the savannas. That was before ungulates started taking over however... millions of years ago.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#35    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,212 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

DieChecker, on 20 February 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

The Nandi Bear is one crypto that actually might be a hyrax...

Well, you know what they say, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.  :)

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#36    Morreh

Morreh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• Words offer the means to meaning.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

tailormaneinafog, on 20 February 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

It's the old english form of 'were-wolf' or 'were-boar'. It's a good name imo and describes an animal species which mimics another openly aggressive animal species in the local habitat. The were-animal itself is therefore a master of passive aggression. The males only need to mimick a male of an openly aggressive species to be able to ward of transgressors from their territory and still remain elusive and 'unknown'. The females would use sexual selection based on how effective they thought the male disguise was. This way a speedy evolutionary avenue is open for something which to us seems extra-ordinary.

The last 50,000 years would have led to a were-creature/human co-evolution which has ended with today's working equilibrium, Super-predatory humans

But you do realize that "Were" is an Anglo Saxon word for "man", right? It has nothing to do with any open displays of aggressiveness.

Bad machine.

#37    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,309 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

tailormaneinafog, on 20 February 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

It's the old english form of 'were-wolf' or 'were-boar'. It's a good name imo and describes an animal species which mimics another openly aggressive animal species in the local habitat.
In which case the caterpillar that mimics a snake is a were-caterpillar.

#38    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,065 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

What about the walking stick insect? Were-stick???

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#39    Morreh

Morreh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

Wearer of Hats, on 20 February 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

In which case the caterpillar that mimics a snake is a were-caterpillar.
So does that mean when my pepsi can explodes on me, it's a were-volcano? :P

Bad machine.

#40    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,309 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:07 AM

Morreh, on 21 February 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

So does that mean when my pepsi can explodes on me, it's a were-volcano? :P
And Pepsi is were-coke, or is coke were-pepsi. Is a priest when they're putting the fear of God into someone a were-God?

#41    Morreh

Morreh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

Wearer of Hats, on 21 February 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

And Pepsi is were-coke, or is coke were-pepsi. Is a priest when they're putting the fear of God into someone a were-God?
Blood for the Blood were-God!

Bad machine.

#42    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,309 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

Morreh, on 21 February 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

Blood for the Blood were-God!
HARRIERS FOR THE CUP!

#43    Morreh

Morreh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Wearer of Hats, on 21 February 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

HARRIERS FOR THE CUP!
HYRAX'S FOR THE HYRAX THRONE!

Bad machine.

#44    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

ealdwita, on 20 February 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Hi Tailorman. The sun bear has been considered of course, but taking into account that cannabis is a local cash crop and is smoked or chewed by most jungle people above the age of seven, there's no telling what's been seen!

Yes, the nandi bear is a favourite of Dr karl Shuker. It's yet another case of the same species as the orang pendek imo. It would make it a were-bear! I don't think you can attribute all of the world sightings of such critters to wacky-backy. The hair evidence and forthcoming DNA evidence will dispell that kind of myth once and for all hopefully. Only a couple of months to wait and the whole world will be spellbound by the discovery of a new intelligent species.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#45    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

DieChecker, on 20 February 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

The Nandi Bear is one crypto that actually might be a hyrax. Hyrax used to be all over Europe, Asia and Africa, with large bear/cow sized ones roaming the savannas. That was before ungulates started taking over however... millions of years ago.
Yep..

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users