Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Jesus Tshirts banned

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe"

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

I love how us humans have all this free will and free speech.

Obviously it may be offensive to people. but i still beleive it shouldnt be banned. If you dont like it dont buy it. simple.

If you take offense to it. Get over yourself. Release your ego :)

http://www.stuff.co....-retailer-fined

Edited by The Id3al Experience, 14 February 2012 - 10:14 PM.

Watch this space

#2    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

You should know by now that all normal rights and privileges go out the window when religion is involved.

That band Cradle of Filth has a habit of getting banned in places, due to their shock rock themes.

Edited by Jerry Only, 14 February 2012 - 11:14 PM.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#3    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

First, I disagree with the ruling - if you don't like a t-shirt, don't buy it.  But don't demand a retailer be fined for stocking a product.  Yes, even if that product is "Jesus is a c***".  And this coming from a Christian, shock horror.  

Second, I would think Cradle of Filth is using this logo as "shock value" more than anything - I don't think they've actually got anything against Jesus per se (more likely against the followers of Jesus).

Third - Cradle of Filth was one of my favourite bands when I was growing up.  Up until I heard this story I still was a big Cradle fan (though I haven't heard a lot of their newer stuff).  They've lost a fan today.  I've always known them to be non-Christian (or even anti-Christian) but I've always been able to push that aside.  With such marketing, I am not sure I can do that any longer (for the record, they would lose me as a fan if their shirt said "Mohammed was a c***", or "Siddhartha Gauatama was a c***", or even "L. Ron Hubbard was a c***".  I can't abide anything like it).

Edited by Paranoid Android, 14 February 2012 - 11:28 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,769 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 14 February 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

First, I disagree with the ruling - if you don't like a t-shirt, don't buy it.  But don't demand a retailer be fined for stocking a product.  Yes, even if that product is "Jesus is a c***".  And this coming from a Christian, shock horror.  

Second, I would think Cradle of Filth is using this logo as "shock value" more than anything - I don't think they've actually got anything against Jesus per se (more likely against the followers of Jesus).

Third - Cradle of Filth was one of my favourite bands when I was growing up.  Up until I heard this story I still was a big Cradle fan (though I haven't heard a lot of their newer stuff).  They've lost a fan today.  I've always known them to be non-Christian (or even anti-Christian) but I've always been able to push that aside.  With such marketing, I am not sure I can do that any longer (for the record, they would lose me as a fan if their shirt said "Mohammed was a c***", or "Siddhartha Gauatama was a c***", or even "L. Ron Hubbard was a c***".  I can't abide anything like it).

I'd feel the same,PA.  I am Christian and I do not feel the need to publicly hate on other religions.  It's wrong, crass and boring.  I think the reason Christians are singled out for the most part is that we're an easy mark.  The haters depend on the dogma of Christianity to protect them.  Brave souls that they are, I wonder why they don't sell a "Mohammed is a whatever"..t shirt?  It's odd to me that a group of people need to attempt to publicly offend another group.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,309 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

It is also free speech to express when one is offended.

Sock Value sells, sex sells. People use these tactics often to sell, I always thought it was to make up for a lack of talent. I agree with PA. It is going out of your way to cheese people of to get a reaction. We should all be smarter than to fall for tactics. I applaud PA for dumping them on the grounds that their tactics shocked a fan into no longer buying their goods. I wish more people would do this so we can get back to relying on actual talent. It reminds me a little of when a New Zealand fellow was painting his backpacker vans with disgusting slogans. When sitting at the lights with your 6 year old daughter, and some crappy old noisy van rolls up at the lights with a slogan  telling women to “shut up and open their legs”, how do you explain what the slogan means to such a young child who can read? I pay taxes for a clean city. If it is in your face, I think one has the right to object, and lets face it, the twerps that think something like this is cool will probably hang out around a church smoking cigaretts or the like to get a reaction to the shirt. That is inciting anomosity, and I think we should be more mature as a species than this.

And PA brought up the most pertinent point, it is likely they are indifferent to the slogan, lets see these coward do the same with an Anti Islam rant. We all know how that would end.

Edited by psyche101, 15 February 2012 - 01:29 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#6    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,249 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

Some things are morally not acceptable, sooo ummm if I go and put my Achmed t-shirt on that says, "I keel YOU" am I gunna get blown out of the water?Posted Image In this day and age your lucky if some wears enough to cover up appropipriately  let alone what's on their t-shirt.  Dissing god is harmless compared to what I've seen and read.
I find it offensive when I see women made to cover their face, but my tax dollars still has to put up with It.Posted Image If your religious what are doing in a Novelty shop that sells them, Get back to church. Posted Image

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#7    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

Well I dont believe in jesus but if I saw somebody wearing that 't' shirt I would find it offensive. Not because it had the word jesus, or whoever it was refering to, but just the use of the 'c' word, even with asterisks, is offensive. I just dont like the word. I dont like seeing it written and it's even worse hearing it being used.
But then I am a stuck up sticky beak Brit lol  :innocent:

#8    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,309 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 15 February 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

Well I dont believe in jesus but if I saw somebody wearing that 't' shirt I would find it offensive. Not because it had the word jesus, or whoever it was refering to, but just the use of the 'c' word, even with asterisks, is offensive. I just dont like the word. I dont like seeing it written and it's even worse hearing it being used.

Well, it might seem that I may well be a Bogan according to Bogan dot com. I like ACDC quite a lot, and do not mind a bit of Chisel either. However, I too cannot stand the use of the word, and also find public usage offensive. We Bogans have rather high moral values you see.

How does one explain this slogan to a child that might view the shirt, and can read? I think the issue is far larger than ones right to feel they are acting cool.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#9    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,309 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostxCrimsonx, on 15 February 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

Some things are morally not acceptable, sooo ummm if I go and put my Achmed t-shirt on that says, "I keel YOU" am I gunna get blown out of the water?Posted Image In this day and age your lucky if some wears enough to cover up appropipriately  let alone what's on their t-shirt.  Dissing god is harmless compared to what I've seen and read.
I find it offensive when I see women made to cover their face, but my tax dollars still has to put up with It.Posted Image If your religious what are doing in a Novelty shop that sells them, Get back to church. Posted Image

Good thing you were not too privy to Wicked Camper Vans, those slogans were downright derogatory to females in general. I Keel you is funny, and it's from the telly commercial about ring tones isn't it? But using the C word in public is just not on. People who buy this shirt will not exclusively wear it to adult venues only. It's not the dissing God bit, it's the C word in public. I can just see some angsty teen proudly displaying their rebellious nature at the local Shopping Centre and some little kid pointing and asking Mummy what that means. I used to have a Radiators T Shirt when I was a young man that displayed one of their hit songs names, and I am sure you know the track I mean, but I only wore it to Night clubs.

Didn't help either. Waste of 10 bucks. Should have claimed it on tax. I understand about the veil, I do not think it is appropriate in this country either, but that is not slander and swearing in little kids faces. This is. Like Graffiti cleaning, I expect the councils to clean this filth up as well.

Edited by psyche101, 15 February 2012 - 04:59 AM.

#10    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 15 February 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

I Keel you is funny, and it's from the telly commercial about ring tones isn't it?

"I keel you" is what the hack comedian Jeff Dunham's puppet character "Achmed the Dead Terrorist"'s catchphrase is.

Posted Image

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#11    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 4,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 14 February 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

Obviously it may be offensive to people. but i still beleive it shouldnt be banned. If you dont like it dont buy it. simple.

So you wouldn't be upset if that word was applied directly to you, I take it ? I would automatically classify anyone wearing a t-shirt with such on it as a "grub". That is just my right to free thought !

#12    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Its just an immature shock value statement...I dont see anything wrong with the shirt being available, but like other explicit language or behaviour, is best kept away from the general public and viewed between consenting, irresponsible  ;)   adults

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

He sold a lot of them before they were banned..  It must mean a lot of people saw the humour in them  or thought they were cool..

I personally wouldn't wear anything that contained bad language on it.. I wouldn't care what it was.. BUT in saying that, I wouldn't complain about those who do wear them...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#14    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,249 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

Englishgent said:

1329276873[/url]' post='4204457']

psyche101 said:

1329280288[/url]' post='4204515']
Well, it might seem that I may well be a Bogan according to Bogan dot com. I like ACDC quite a lot, and do not mind a bit of Chisel either. However, I too cannot stand the use of the word, and also find public usage offensive. We Bogans have rather high moral values you see.

How does one explain this slogan to a child that might view the shirt, and can read? I think the issue is far larger than ones right to feel they are acting cool.

Honestly that "word" is used waaaay too much down under,  "G'day ya, ____" how's it Goin ____? Not pretty. Achmed totally rocks btw. Posted Image I got called It once by a scrag at the club, had her hands on my man bailed her up and she mouthed off called me a stupid such and such"so I kicked her ____ then proceeded to inform her, she won't be using hers any time soon. Posted Image
Otherwise I refuse to use the word generally.Posted ImageSome t-shirts are funny , some so wrong they are far from amusing, vulgar mostly.Oh and when ever I see a turban or burka, it makes me sick, sorry but the news has done it too me.Posted Image

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#15    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 4,026 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostHabitat, on 15 February 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

So you wouldn't be upset if that word was applied directly to you, I take it ? I would automatically classify anyone wearing a t-shirt with such on it as a "grub". That is just my right to free thought !

I wouldnt care if that word was applied to me. It would probably make me laugh.  It's not my style of clothing though but I guess some of the younger would like it. I wouldnt think of them as grubby. I would think of them as young.

Anyway I think its a little boring in this case and is trying too hard to get shock value. It needed a more poetic touch or something.

Mainly I think people should not be too offended. Jesus wouldve forgiven them I suppose because he was a smart...

Edited by Kazahel, 16 February 2012 - 02:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users