Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Jesus Tshirts banned

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,494 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

View PostJerry Only, on 15 February 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

"I keel you" is what the hack comedian Jeff Dunham's puppet character "Achmed the Dead Terrorist"'s catchphrase is.

Posted Image

That's the one!

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#17    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

View PostKazahel, on 16 February 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

I wouldnt care if that word was applied to me. It would probably make me laugh.  It's not my style of clothing though but I guess some of the younger would like it. I wouldnt think of them as grubby. I would think of them as young.

Anyway I think its a little boring in this case and is trying too hard to get shock value. It needed a more poetic touch or something.

Mainly I think people should not be too offended. Jesus wouldve forgiven them I suppose because he was a smart...

So I am not smart because I dont like foul language?  I am not smart because I would find it offensive? i am not smart because I dont like to see young children exposed to this sort if language?  I am not smart, because if it was MY kid wearing that t shirt I would have a few things to say to him/her. (not that either of my two would wear such a thing as they were brought up to respect other's feelings)
IMO it is much smarter not to use these words in the first place.  
I dont like to see or hear foul language being used just for the sake of it.
I am not saying I have never used such words (with the exception of the C word which I do not use) but to see it flashed all over a t shirt or to hear it used unnecessarily is, IMO extremely bad manners at the very least.
There is nothing worse than hearing somebody having a conversation where the F word or the C word is used every other word!  Totally unnecesary, yet some people cannot (or dont know how to) make up a sentance without the use of these words.

edit.  Kazahel....apologies in advance if I took your 'smart' meaning the wrong way :)  (none if I didn't lol)

Edited by Englishgent, 16 February 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#18    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,494 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 February 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

He sold a lot of them before they were banned..  It must mean a lot of people saw the humour in them  or thought they were cool..

But what sort of person would think such is cool? I would think only people who like to buck the system or have authority issues. Personally, I have no time for stirrers.

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 February 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

I personally wouldn't wear anything that contained bad language on it.. I wouldn't care what it was.. BUT in saying that, I wouldn't complain about those who do wear them...

What if some teen wore this to the local shopping mall and your daughter asked you to explain the phrase? I think we are expecting people to act responsibly with such item, and the type of people who buy such items are not going to fall into this category.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#19    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,997 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 16 February 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

So I am not smart because I dont like foul language?  I am not smart because I would find it offensive? i am not smart because I dont like to see young children exposed to this sort if language?  I am not smart, because if it was MY kid wearing that t shirt I would have a few things to say to him/her. (not that either of my two would wear such a thing as they were brought up to respect other's feelings)

But would you forgive someone if they wore such a thing?  Jesus might not of liked it.. or maybe he might not of cared.. either way I think He wouldve forgiven someone over it and not let that taint His love.

So yeah.

#20    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 16 February 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

But what sort of person would think such is cool?

Those that went out to buy them... The article says they sold a lot.. Obviously someone liked them enough to shell out and wear them. .  I know plenty of people that think those sort of things are cool and funny.I have seen them all before in real life.....   Not me personally.  This world is full of all sorts... No point in denying  that, we all know it takes all sorts in this world

View Postpsyche101, on 16 February 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

What if some teen wore this to the local shopping mall and your daughter asked you to explain the phrase? I think we are expecting people to act responsibly with such item, and the type of people who buy such items are not going to fall into this category.

Then I will explain it to her.......In general though -  Just because I may not like that sort of thing..Does not in any way give me the right to look down my nose at anyone else that likes it... I am not some arrogant  or selfish person that thinks   ok I do not like  how this is or that is ...So I do not think it is nice, so no one else should... It is none of my business what  other  people wear to be honest... I cannot complain and wont lower myself to complain either. I see no point, not if I am not bothered about what other people wear....   I keep myself to myself in public at all times..  I have seen much worse in public.. I just ignore it

Personally, I have no time for stirrers.

Simple then isn't it?  Ignore them, if you have no time for them, ignore them.. I do it al the time.. I see no point in making a big deal over it.. It is none of my business what strangers in the street like to wear..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 16 February 2012 - 03:25 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#21    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,494 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostKazahel, on 16 February 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

But would you forgive someone if they wore such a thing?  Jesus might not of liked it.. or maybe he might not of cared.. either way I think He wouldve forgiven someone over it and not let that taint His love.

So yeah.

That is benevolence, not brilliance.

#22    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,997 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 16 February 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

That is benevolence, not brilliance.

I think it could be argued that its the same thing.

You might not think its smart to be forgiving but that doesnt mean I agree.

#23    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,494 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 16 February 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

Those that went out to buy them... The article says they sold a lot.. Obviously someone liked them enough to shell out and wear them. .  I know plenty of people that think those sort of things are cool and funny.I have seen them all before in real life.....   Not me personally.  This world is full of all sorts... No point in denying  that, we all know it takes all sorts in this world

The article only says they sold a lot of hoodies the previous winter. This run went on sale only days before the arrest. I do not associate with people my age that would find that funny. Can't say I would like to to be honest, it paints a very dim picture of an adult. You say you are not one to judge, but is that not what the slogan is doing? And yes, the world is full of all sorts, and many in prison. No denying it, but a society does not have to live with ratbags either. Lets face it, any person with an ounce of respect would not wear such rubbish filth in public. Misguided youth I feel are probably going to be that largest contingent of buyers I would expect. I have to say, for a person who usually has such strong opinions, your offer liberal views to certain crowds that makes one intensely curious.

Then I will explain it to her.......In general though -  Just because I may not like that sort of thing..Does not in any way give me the right to look down my nose at anyone else that likes it... I am not some arrogant  or selfish person that thinks   ok I do not like  how this is or that is ...So I do not think it is nice, so no one else should... It is none of my business what  other  people wear to be honest... I cannot complain and wont lower myself to complain either. I see no point, not if I am not bothered about what other people wear....   I keep myself to myself in public at all times..  I have seen much worse in public.. I just ignore it

What about the highly sexualised image of a Catholic nun as stated in the article? Can you explain that to your daughter? It is not about being arrogant, or about looking down your nose, we all live in a society and as such we need to try and make it comfortable for all people. Wearing a filthy slogan like this and then placing graphic images on there as well is is going out of ones way to make people in general feel uncomfortable. The people who wear the shirt are the ones on the offensive here. There is nothing wrong in asking someone to maintain values in public, we all have to live in the public, so we all get a say. This is a minority group, and therefore were punished and censored by the wishes laid down by the community. Not harsh enough IMHO.
Yes it does give you the very right to look down at your nose at a person who does not have the common decency to keep their own judgement of a certain person, who may not even exist! in private. I do not see any reason whatsoever to promote such foul language in a public place to promote ones opinion. That is downright disrespectful and condescending to anyone who has to view the shirt.

May I ask, what have you seen in public on a shirt that is more offensive than the C word with a highly sexualised image of a Catholic nun? You seriously have me scratching my head over that one I have to say.

Simple then isn't it?  Ignore them, if you have no time for them, ignore them.. I do it al the time.. I see no point in making a big deal over it.. It is none of my business what strangers in the street like to wear..

Do you pay taxes? Because if you do, then it is your business. If my kids cannot ignore something like this because it is in their faces, then I am not going to, I see that as a basic parental responsibility. It is not OK to go out of your way to upset other people for fun. Here in Australia, one can be arrested for swearing in the street.

Big fines for those who cry foul

And under laws set to be introduced to State Parliament this week, Victoria Police will get permanent powers to slap potty-mouthed perpetrators with on-the-spot fines of up to $240 for using language deemed to be indecent, disorderly, offensive or threatening.

I cannot ignore them at the local shopping centre, so I wont, I will act in turn. The way I see it, wearing something as blatantly offensive as that is taking the first swing. If someone wants to wear such filth in public, I will report them to the police and attempt to have them removed from family environments. That is what was happening, the article states than people were wearing them down the street. To me, it is no better than the slogans wicked vans were using like: women should shut their mouths and open their legs. Would you be OK with that on a hoodie at the local shopping centre?

#24    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,494 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostKazahel, on 16 February 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

I think it could be argued that its the same thing.

You might not think its smart to be forgiving but that doesnt mean I agree.

And you may consider it smart to be benevolent, but that is merely opinion. In reality and by definition, they are two different things. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, nobody is entitled to their own facts.

#25    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,494 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 16 February 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

Now that's the ticket. Not necessary at all.

#26    _Only

_Only

• 6,664 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just going to butt into this discussion of morals, decency, and laws to bring a quick glimpse of the band that is getting the last laugh, from the mild publicity they have reached with their current t-shirt merchandise debacle.

:P

(and I do actually own one of their more symphonic albums, and love it, but can't deny the humorous aspect of their blatant shock seeking tactics)

Edited by Jerry Only, 16 February 2012 - 07:39 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#27    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,494 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

:lol:

Good call Jerryonly, I think a musical interlude is in order!

Your timing is impeccable!

Cheers.

#28    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,997 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 16 February 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

And you may consider it smart to be benevolent, but that is merely opinion. In reality and by definition, they are two different things. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, nobody is entitled to their own facts.

Then I believe its smart to be forgiving. Thats a fact. :)

View Postpsyche101, on 16 February 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

Now that's the ticket. Not necessary at all.

You know... I find this and your words below(in the other posts)becoming ironic and hypocritical when I glance over at your avatar. You are basically saying a swear word as your main image.. and have been doing so for a long time. Granted its not as bad as some swear words but still...

View Postpsyche101, on 16 February 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

Lets face it, any person with an ounce of respect would not wear such rubbish filth in public.

Wearing a filthy slogan like this and then placing graphic images on there as well is is going out of ones way to make people in general feel uncomfortable. The people who wear the shirt are the ones on the offensive here. There is nothing wrong in asking someone to maintain values in public, we all have to live in the public, so we all get a say. This is a minority group, and therefore were punished and censored by the wishes laid down by the community. Not harsh enough IMHO.

I do not see any reason whatsoever to promote such foul language in a public place to promote ones opinion. That is downright disrespectful and condescending to anyone who has to view the shirt.

It is not OK to go out of your way to upset other people for fun. Here in Australia, one can be arrested for swearing in the street.

I cannot ignore them at the local shopping centre, so I wont, I will act in turn. The way I see it, wearing something as blatantly offensive as that is taking the first swing. If someone wants to wear such filth in public, I will report them to the police and attempt to have them removed from family environments.

:rofl:

And I would like to add that considering this site and all its different threads on unexplained mysteries.. I dont see how you can speak about respect while using that avatar. I personally always found it rude myself, especially on this type of site.  No bull ****.   :tu:

Edited by Kazahel, 16 February 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#29    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 16 February 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

You say you are not one to judge, but is that not what the slogan is doing?

Yes, but it is not me wearing it is it? And you do not see me showing support for it either... Not caring is not showing support..   There are Christian here  that are not bothered by it.. And fair play to them..

I have to say, for a person who usually has such strong opinions, your offer liberal views to certain crowds that makes one intensely curious.          

I have strong opinions on certain things, but it doesn't mean I should hold strong opinions on everything..  There will be things that will bother me and things that wont..    I can be easy going for many things, and not so for other..   I am not a complete fuss pot  lol Posted Image

If I ever get to a stage  where later on as I get a lot older, and my HRT treatment is  on the blink, then maybe I will start acting like more of a fuss pot.  ....And I may go around with T-shirts that read- > Y'all offend me !! ..  Much  fuss about nothing... and Complainers  Anonymous     lol . But  now, I wont..  Life too short for me to care..

What about the highly sexualised image of a Catholic nun as stated in the article?    
And? You can say that about any sexual image on clothing  about anyone...

Can you explain that to your daughter?

She has not see it, well not the one you are complaining about that  is banned anyway lol ....  She has seen  one or two  images from people in the street with pictures like it and she doesn't bat an eye at it......  In fact it is rare for her to see them... I could count in one hand to be honest.. . I guess she is like me, and she couldn't care less. ?    

I do not ever care who wears what on them..  It could be a dirty tattoo or something shaved in their heads for al I care..  It is their life..  

That t-shirt compmanyt has given me an idea  they printed  Jesus is a C___   I am going to get me a T- shirt that reads - Complainers are  a C___Posted Image..I am kidding ....Jokes aside, but the more you get at me telling me who or what I should look down at and  get bothered over, I am more determined not to...  Seriously..    I just live and let live..

Yes it does give you the very right to look down at your nose at a person who does not have the common decency to keep their own judgement of a certain person, who may not even exist! in private.

But I do not want to look down my nose at anyone who wears them...I am not offended by it.. I ignore it and always will...... It's all good you telling me over and over  to sum up how I should care and get bothered by it, all because you do,, but must I do all you do? Act like and feel the way you do? .... To speak on my own behalf -  If I wanted everyone to act and feel a certain way all because I do, then I would be rather selfish to do that.....At least that's how I feel I would look if did that.. again I speak on my behalf

May I ask, what have you seen in public on a shirt that is more offensive than the C word with a highly sexualised image of a Catholic nun?
Yes I have, and it doesn't have to be about a nun, if it is about anyone it can be offensive.. I will not describe what I have seen on a family forum thanks..

Do you pay taxes? Because if you do, then it is your business. If my kids cannot ignore something like this because it is in their faces, then I am not going to, I see that as a basic parental responsibility. It is not OK to go out of your way to upset other people for fun. Here in Australia, one can be arrested for swearing in the street.  

In general - I am more offended when someone tries to tell me how I should deal with things, when I clearly am not bothered , neither is my child.....
I just do not like telling anyone else how they should dress or what they should be doing..  It is their own life  not mine ......If I can ignore the rare viewings that are not  the norm.. then So I shall  ..I am not going to get stressed out of something I rarely get to look at and is already banned  anyway..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 16 February 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#30    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostKazahel, on 16 February 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

And I would like to add that considering this site and all its different threads on unexplained mysteries.. I dont see how you can speak about respect while using that avatar. I personally always found it rude myself, especially on this type of site.  No bull ****.   :tu:
Interesting point

My 6yr old was watching a you tube video of funny cats and dogs.. She accidentally clicked on what she thought was just another funny animal clip show.. and it was animals and a cartoon of people pooping.. She did not like it at all ...Neither did we.. It was turned off fast    She prefers now to play her funny games  or girl videos gaming.

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 16 February 2012 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users