Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Driverless Cars on the Highway

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

www.ibtimes.com said:

It's time for the next big automotive revolution.

A century ago, the horse-drawn carriage became obsolete. Within the last decade, GPS technology rendered paper maps useless.And if the electric movement gets going in earnest, gasoline may one day be a thing of the past.

Next on the chopping block: the need for human drivers.

Posted Image Read more...

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#2    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,437 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi,I am in the U.K. and see loads of cars on the motorways,but very few have human drivers,as they are mostly no brain Zombies,its worse than being on the front line in Afghanland,very scary....cheers

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,634 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

This will create a whole new specialty in law.  Imagine the good once it's perfected.  No more need for anyone to get a DUI or for careless collisions of any kind.  The one immediate downside I see is for truck drivers and cabbies.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    phatmanxxl

phatmanxxl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Traffic tickets and fees bring a large number of revenue to the government.  I can see this being squashed if it catches on, regardless if its a good thing.

#5    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

This scares me...

#6    seller2006

seller2006

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

• Student of the Quran

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Lol @ the people looking at solely the benefits. I agree King Fluffs, its a little scary. No control over vehicle = the car or who ever controls it has authority. Imagine in a police state or something -.-

#7    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

unless they run on petrol the govenment simple wont allow there use so as long as the do everything should be fine

#8    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

I thought they already had driverless vehicules in the States: they're called trains

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#9    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,310 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

I know here in Colorado we have way WAY too many driverless cars. All the people whom flock here from California on our roadways. Do they not teach you how to drive out west? :)

#10    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,035 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:23 AM

Even though youre not driving, you would still be responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the vehicle..so things could get a bit iffy legally in the event of an accident..as things are now with insurance.

If there was any internet involved in the navigation or control of the vehicle could hackers resist the temptation to cause mayhem or disruption?

I dont think I would like not being in control having driven all my life, though if I was born into it...of course that would be all you knew so you would have to get used to it.
Once we create machines who can think for us and maintain themselves we will probably evolve into brain dead marshmallows..

#11    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,095 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

Top Gear had a story on this. I think Jeremy Clarkson's views stuck with me. He said something like:

The problem with driverless cars is that cars still require maintenance and we have backyard mechanics. I can just see some bloke called Keith figuring "I can do this service" Next thing you know "Keith" Is hurtling down the highway straight at your vehicle with no control......

It's sounds a bit funny, but makes for a sobering scenario.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#12    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• 1,453 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 22 February 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

Top Gear had a story on this. I think Jeremy Clarkson's views stuck with me. He said something like:

The problem with driverless cars is that cars still require maintenance and we have backyard mechanics. I can just see some bloke called Keith figuring "I can do this service" Next thing you know "Keith" Is hurtling down the highway straight at your vehicle with no control......

It's sounds a bit funny, but makes for a sobering scenario.

Even scarier, how long will it take for someone to create a phone app that takes over control of those cars...

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#13    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,021 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 17 February 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

Hi,I am in the U.K. and see loads of cars on the motorways,but very few have human drivers,as they are mostly no brain Zombies,its worse than being on the front line in Afghanland,very scary....cheers

Here, too. No one seems to know what an indicator light is for... :rolleyes:

View PostColoradoParanormal, on 21 February 2012 - 05:09 AM, said:

I know here in Colorado we have way WAY too many driverless cars. All the people whom flock here from California on our roadways. Do they not teach you how to drive out west? :)

I think it's push down on the gas pedal, close your eyes and go. :P

View Postjules99, on 21 February 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

If there was any internet involved in the navigation or control of the vehicle could hackers resist the temptation to cause mayhem or disruption?

I dont think I would like not being in control having driven all my life, though if I was born into it...of course that would be all you knew so you would have to get used to it.
Once we create machines who can think for us and maintain themselves we will probably evolve into brain dead marshmallows..

Aren't more and more cars connected to the internet anyway, at least for directions? I've never heard of hackers going nuts and misdirecting people. Seems to me that hackers do things only to benefit themselves and I don't see how causing mayhem or disruption would benefit them. Unless you're the bad guys in Live Free or Die Hard. And I don't suppose you use much public transportation or fly anywhere, do you?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#14    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,634 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

View PostJ. K., on 22 February 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

Even scarier, how long will it take for someone to create a phone app that takes over control of those cars...
If you believe their press, Iran took control of a multimillion dollar US drone and landed it - maybe with a wee bit of help from the Russians.  So electronically hijacking a car would probably be easy - ish.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#15    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,095 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

View PostJ. K., on 22 February 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

That is a good point, I would bet hackers would love to tell some of these cars where they feel they should be travelling. You might get in to go to work one day, and pull up at some rally or something.

That is if Keith does not get you along the way!

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users