Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Australia's Pearl Harbor.

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,471 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

It's 70 years since Japanese bombers swooped on Darwin, in northern Australia, sinking Allied ships in the harbour and killing hundreds of people. For years the attack was rarely mentioned, but now the story is finally being told.

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-17073472

Lest We Forget.

Edited by Eldorado, 19 February 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 February 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

It's 70 years since Japanese bombers swooped on Darwin, in northern Australia, sinking Allied ships in the harbour and killing hundreds of people. For years the attack was rarely mentioned, but now the story is finally being told.

Lest We Forget.
I was unaware of this until I saw the movie AUSTRALIA.  Very good movie BTW

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,513 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

Members of my family were assigned to Darwin, only after the attack though.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,812 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

They also attacked Sydney harbour with miniature submarines, which probably not too many know about.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,434 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Remember the Alamo, for it achieves the right mindset for a NEW war, somewhere, for some trivial reason.  :devil:

We must justify the deaths of the past with many deaths in the future.

Edited by Babe Ruth, 19 February 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 19 February 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

Remember the Alamo, for it achieves the right mindset for a NEW war, somewhere, for some trivial reason.  :devil:

Kind of a stretch there Babe.  Are you saying there is no other legitimate reason to study history?  People do have a tendency to repeat mistakes they don't learn from.  I can attest to that one personally :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#7    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,500 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

View Post747400, on 19 February 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

They also attacked Sydney harbour with miniature submarines, which probably not too many know about.

Indeed they did, 3 miniature submarines entered the harbour, 2 never left it, 1 remained a mystery until only about 6 years ago. A couple of recreational divers found the last sub, which never made it back to the mother sub.

LINK ABC CATALYST - MIDGET SUBS

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#8    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,434 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

View Postand then, on 20 February 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Kind of a stretch there Babe.  Are you saying there is no other legitimate reason to study history?  People do have a tendency to repeat mistakes they don't learn from.  I can attest to that one personally :w00t:

No, I'm not saying that.  Indeed, we SHOULD study history.  If only our leaders would change their behavior based upon the lessons of history.

My point was that war and aggression are part of the human condition, and glorified in the media.

Is that a lesson we might learn from recent history?

#9    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 19 February 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

Since when is remembering the past and honouring people who died protecting their family and friends a bad thing?  :huh: Hell since when was the Alamo ever used to justify a modern war? Your comment has zero to do with the subject the thread is talking about.

On topic it's good that the attack is getting more attention. Given that Pearl Harbour was a major operation and had such far reaching consequences it tends to overshadow everything else that happened in that timeframe.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#10    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

There'd be a lot more Teppanyaki Restaurants around Sydney now if it wasn't for allied victories in the Battle of the Coral Sea and a few years later at Guadalcanal.  Great tribute and honor to US and Aussie soldiers who sacrificed their young lives for a just cause against the oppressive and fanatical Govt of Japan at the time.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#11    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 February 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

Lest We Forget.
:tu:

Posted Image

#12    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,646 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

I always thought that one of General MacArthur's greatest flaws was his dismissive attitude toward the sacrifices of the Aussies...

I had heard about the attack on Darwin but had never heard about the Sydney attack....

Glad you posted this Eldorado...

#13    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

A good thing the Japanese never concentrated on destroying the oil storage facilities at Pearl, had they been destroyed Australia likely would have fallen, as the US Pacific Fleet would have been restricted in its operations. But the opposition would have been fierce to an invasion.

#14    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,646 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostHabitat, on 22 February 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

A good thing the Japanese never concentrated on destroying the oil storage facilities at Pearl, had they been destroyed Australia likely would have fallen, as the US Pacific Fleet would have been restricted in its operations. But the opposition would have been fierce to an invasion.

I wouldn't envy anyone who tries to invade Austrailia...

if the Japanese had been in position to quickly follow-up the Pearl attacks with an Invasion, they might well have taken the islands (owing to the total confusion and damage done)... I still don't think they could have won the war in the end, but it would have been a lot longer and a lot costlier...

#15    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,208 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostHabitat, on 22 February 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

A good  thing the Japanese never concentrated on destroying the oil storage  facilities at Pearl, had they been destroyed Australia likely would have  fallen, as the US Pacific Fleet would have been restricted in its  operations. But the opposition would have been fierce to an invasion.
It's  my understanding that, at the time the war first broke out, Australia  was earmarked for an all out land/sea/air invasion by Japan and the  governments of Australia and the US knew it.  Australia only had about  450,000 troops ready to defend the country and Japan saw Australia as an easy strategic target to overtake and use to protect the Asian oil fields. I'll have to agree though, they  would have had a more difficult time at achieving that then they  bargained for.

View Postpsyche101, on 20 February 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

Indeed they did, 3 miniature submarines entered the harbour, 2 never left it, 1 remained a mystery until only about 6 years ago. A couple of recreational divers found the last sub, which never made it back to the mother sub.

LINK ABC CATALYST - MIDGET SUBS
Hey psyche, good to see you my friend! Great link, I wasn't aware Japan used the mini-sub to attack Australia. Thanks! 5 mini-sub were deployed at Pearl Harbor also.

Japan"s WWII mini sub.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users