Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Would you take an ID marker?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,950 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

The bible says that will be the case with the mark of the beast.  Something in your right hand or forehead without which you can't buy or sell.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,406 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Why bother...everyone already carries a cell phone, has a social security number, credit/debit cards. Essentially, no one is anonymous, at least in most developed countries.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

I have a hard time seeing a system like that for single-party transactions.  In terms of necessity, I mean.

A chip or similar would be extremely useful, and I would definitely get one, in situations where intellectual security and multi-party transactions are used, such as in credit cards, insurance, or medical expenses.  It would be useful for simpler things, like grocery shopping, but hardly essential, in terms of security and exchange.  

Essentally, I can see a chip system being used for major purchases, and as an added value, to be able to use it for minor purchases.  I can't see anyone creating a chip solely for minor purchases, as would need to be done to claim that, without it, you would starve.  It just isn't a complex enough market.

#4    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

No, I wouldn't take it.

If I had something witty to say, my signature would be a lot funnier.

#5    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

I can't see it myself. People don't want to feel spied on (to conspiracy theorist mainly). And a chip would mean constant surveillance of everyone. Even though that would be a good thing in many ways, because is someone is murdered, or something stolen, you would know who was where and when. S has its benefits and drawbacks.

Edited by Kryso, 19 February 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#6    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,922 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Considering that I as a Bible-believing Christian take an A-millennialist approach to Revelation (Eschatology to be clearer) I see no problem in taking a chip.  I don't know whether such will ever happen in my life, but I don't see how computer tech = evil.  Even with the whole "mark of the Beast" issue I don't see any reason why such a mark must be a physical object that will stop us from engaging in commerce.  After all, consider an alternative - in the early years after Jesus those Jews who chose to follow Jesus were subjected to persecution.  At the start it was minor - something as simple as Jewish businesses charging them higher prices than other Jews.  And while I am not an expert enough to say for 100% certain I would probably guess that in extreme cases they were refused business period full stop.  So in terms of the "mark of the Beast" why not think of it in the 1st Century AD context of being charged higher prices (or refused service altogether) while the alternative option is to recant (take the mark of the Beast) and be able to engage in commerce quite normally.  

I'm not saying that this is the definitive interpretation of Revelation, I'm presenting one obvious alternative.  Even without this 1st Century context there is nothing in the text that demands a literal mark or implant that stops a person from engaging in commerce.

Just my thoughts :tu:

~ PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostLilly, on 19 February 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

Why bother...everyone already carries a cell phone, has a social security number, credit/debit cards. Essentially, no one is anonymous, at least in most developed countries.
Yes but the question was whether you would allow the technology to be used on you if the consequences for not doing so meant you would cease to exist in the system...no buying, selling, working or eating.

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 19 February 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Considering that I as a Bible-believing Christian take an A-millennialist approach to Revelation (Eschatology to be clearer) I see no problem in taking a chip.  I don't know whether such will ever happen in my life, but I don't see how computer tech = evil.  Even with the whole "mark of the Beast" issue I don't see any reason why such a mark must be a physical object that will stop us from engaging in commerce.  After all, consider an alternative - in the early years after Jesus those Jews who chose to follow Jesus were subjected to persecution.  At the start it was minor - something as simple as Jewish businesses charging them higher prices than other Jews.  And while I am not an expert enough to say for 100% certain I would probably guess that in extreme cases they were refused business period full stop.  So in terms of the "mark of the Beast" why not think of it in the 1st Century AD context of being charged higher prices (or refused service altogether) while the alternative option is to recant (take the mark of the Beast) and be able to engage in commerce quite normally.  

I'm not saying that this is the definitive interpretation of Revelation, I'm presenting one obvious alternative.  Even without this 1st Century context there is nothing in the text that demands a literal mark or implant that stops a person from engaging in commerce.

Just my thoughts :tu:

~ PA
PA I have no fear of the technology either.  It isn't inherently evil.  In fact it is already being put to very good use in this country in medical settings.  A chip with all your medical history can save lives if it's scanned by a trauma team when you come in unconscious.  I am no scholar but the way the scripture is worded I believe that the choice of receiving the mark will be what damns people.  It will be a conscious choice to serve the AC.  I think the instrument used to enforce that obedience could be a chip or a tat or some as yet unknown technology. It IS interesting that we are seeing such technologies in our lifetimes though. But it is the choice that will be the moment of truth for people over who they will serve.

#9    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,219 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

View Postand then, on 19 February 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

PA I have no fear of the technology either.  It isn't inherently evil.  In fact it is already being put to very good use in this country in medical settings.  A chip with all your medical history can save lives if it's scanned by a trauma team when you come in unconscious.  I am no scholar but the way the scripture is worded I believe that the choice of receiving the mark will be what damns people.  It will be a conscious choice to serve the AC.  I think the instrument used to enforce that obedience could be a chip or a tat or some as yet unknown technology. It IS interesting that we are seeing such technologies in our lifetimes though. But it is the choice that will be the moment of truth for people over who they will serve.

Would this mean that one would have to choose between starvation and salvation. I think most would choose to take the chip.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,950 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 19 February 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

Would this mean that one would have to choose between starvation and salvation. I think most would choose to take the chip.
According to the bible you are correct.

#11    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,355 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

View Postand then, on 19 February 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Yes but the question was whether you would allow the technology to be used on you if the consequences for not doing so meant you would cease to exist in the system...no buying, selling, working or eating.

Pushing such idea will make the regime extremely unpopular. And unlike the Revelation says, I can't see how this will be implemented globally. Since I agree with Jonathan Kirsch on the nature of the Book of Revelation, my opinion on John of Patmos is less than kind.

Maybe Isle of Patmos was a some kind of asylum/gulag for nutjobs back then.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#12    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,922 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

View Postand then, on 19 February 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

As I said, the book of Revelation is filled with imagery and symbolism.  I do not think that choosing a computer chip is going to decide whether we follow the anti-Christ or not.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#13    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

Has such a system not been trialed already in Switzerland or some neutral place?

Or was that just an urban myth?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#14    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:05 AM

View Postand then, on 19 February 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

The bible says that will be the case with the mark of the beast.  Something in your right hand or forehead without which you can't buy or sell.
It's ready happened. Your SSN is tied to everything you own. And you memorize it, so in a way it is branded in our heads. Ever loose your Wallet? You are cometely helpless with out everything tied to your SSN.

In the new testament, Jhon ( I think) was discussing Nero and what he would evenchually do if given enough time. It's the ultimate idea of governments to survive and control it's people. It's pure evolution at work. The only governments that will suvive into the future are the ones that control people, not people controlling it. It becomes an entity and a beast all it's own. I believe these were the visions received in revelations.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#15    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,950 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 20 February 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

It's ready happened. Your SSN is tied to everything you own. And you memorize it, so in a way it is branded in our heads. Ever loose your Wallet? You are cometely helpless with out everything tied to your SSN.

In the new testament, Jhon ( I think) was discussing Nero and what he would evenchually do if given enough time. It's the ultimate idea of governments to survive and control it's people. It's pure evolution at work. The only governments that will suvive into the future are the ones that control people, not people controlling it. It becomes an entity and a beast all it's own. I believe these were the visions received in revelations.
So, Seeker you believe that the SSN is the mark?  I think numbering systems for identification are a forerunner to the mark but not the mark itself.  For one thing it is to be global and not all countries use such a system.  But with technology today it is now possible to assign a unique and secure biometric id for every person on the planet.  India is in the middle of digitally photographing and fingerprinting 1.2 billion citizens.  China is embarked on a similar scheme.  I think the technology will have good acceptable uses but that it will be turned against persons of faith in Christ in the last days.  And I think it cannot be a case of being mistaken by the believer.  It will have to be a clear choice that is made with foreknowledge.  It will be a choice to accept the AC as God.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users