Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Man finds $26,000 in a safe he bought on eBay

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,770 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

A Bartlett, California, man bought the old safe from James Labrecque for $122.93. When the man opened the safe, he found $26,000 in cash, a revelation that will haunt Labrecque for quite some time.......
...........A contentious email chain between Labrecque and the buyer ensued. The regretful Labrecque had asked for a cut of the cash, but the buyer declined, citing Labrecque's selling policy which states, "What you see is what you get, no returns, and no money back."

Labrecque doesn't quite see it that way.

"That's a chunk of change, you know. That's life-altering money," he said. "I mean, if I was in that situation and I found that kind of money and I bought it from someone, I'd say, 'Here, man, I found this money. I'll give you half of it.'"

link

Yeah, he sold it and now wants half? Too bad, so sad....

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    I Am Not Resisting

I Am Not Resisting

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• "Security Forces wives don't have to be told not to resist."

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

Too bad, so sad.

Edit: Didn't even see that Glory said the same thing!

Edited by I Am Not Resisting, 19 February 2012 - 06:50 AM.

-Don't judge me.
-Did you just say "Don't touch me"?  We're in public!

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,829 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

In this case, seller beware. Tough luck mate - it's you're damn fault for not checking the safe wasn't empty.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    _Only

_Only

• 6,680 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

Man, he could've bought an NES and 5 games with his half of the cut!

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#5    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Why would you brag about finding that much cash? The tax man is going to hear about it. :o

I wonder why the buyer cut open the safe instead of trying to find out the combination. Just seems weird to buy an old safe and then torch it. :P

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#6    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Wow, I think I should start buying used safes, never know what you'll find!
I can see why that other guy want's a cut of the money but it's kinda his own fault for not checking the contents before selling it.

#7    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,715 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Wow! that was a lucky purchase that's for sure.

While he does have the right to keep the cash, I can't help thinking how I would feel if it were me. I know the seller should have checked inside it first, but still.....it seems a bit mean somehow to keep ALL the money, but that's just me.

Posted Image

#8    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 20,664 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Umm...I know this isn't a mystery or anything but...something doesn't sound quite right to me.

For starters, a locksmith is going to charge you between $60-$100 to open the safe, depending on the model.  Yeah, that sounds like a bunch of money, but at least you know that the contents will be safe.

The problem with torching a safe is that the heat from the torch has nowhere to go.  The inside of the safe is quickly going to turn into a kiln, and I really can't see how any cash, short of being $26,000 worth of change, survived the process without being significantly damaged.

I am probably missing something, and maybe getting too suspicious in my old age, but still...

#9    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Haha, bought as seen, lol.

#10    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,862 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

View Post__Kratos__, on 19 February 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Why would you brag about finding that much cash? The tax man is going to hear about it. :o

I know nothing about US Tax law. Is found money really subject to taxes?

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 19 February 2012 - 03:06 PM.

"You cannot pass," he said. … "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

#11    _Only

_Only

• 6,680 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Post__Kratos__, on 19 February 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

I wonder why the buyer cut open the safe instead of trying to find out the combination. Just seems weird to buy an old safe and then torch it. :P

Maybe he watches a lot of Storage Wars.

#12    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 19 February 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

Umm...I know this isn't a mystery or anything but...something doesn't sound quite right to me.

For starters, a locksmith is going to charge you between $60-$100 to open the safe, depending on the model.  Yeah, that sounds like a bunch of money, but at least you know that the contents will be safe.

The problem with torching a safe is that the heat from the torch has nowhere to go.  The inside of the safe is quickly going to turn into a kiln, and I really can't see how any cash, short of being $26,000 worth of change, survived the process without being significantly damaged.

I am probably missing something, and maybe getting too suspicious in my old age, but still...

Hmm, you're right. I remember seeing a mythbusters where they tried to torch into a safe and they started everything on fire.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#13    _Only

_Only

• 6,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Well some safes are built in a way that you can heat the hinges with a torch, and then muscle them off with a blunt tool.

But my guess is that whoever made the article just put a generic "torching a safe" picture on the page.

#14    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 20,664 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 19 February 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

I know nothing about US Tax law. Is found money really subject to taxes?

Technically, yes, found money is income and all income is taxable.

That said, no one is going to know you found cash, and chances are minimal to none that anyone is going to bother to find out.  Even at that, you do have the legal option to claim that the found money is actually property, not cash, if it is part of a previous purchase, such as the safe (like buying a bad engine just to sell the parts).  That particular tactic depends on how good your lawyer is and how sympathetic the tax judge is.

Cases and outcomes range from trying to evade tax laws by hiding a $10,000 bundle of cash in a giant chocolate bar (judge was not sympathetic), and one where someone bought an old mattresses and discovered a bit over a hundred thousand dollars stuffed inside (judge figured anyone who had to resort to buying a used mattress from an ex-drug-dealer was probably not intentionally trying to cheat on their taxes).

#15    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,770 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostI Am Not Resisting, on 19 February 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

Too bad, so sad.

Edit: Didn't even see that Glory said the same thing!

LOL!  Great minds........

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users