Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Waiting for a Palestinian Gandhi?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

www.huffingtonpost.com said:

For years prominent corporate media pundits have told us that the world -- and the media -- would embrace a dramatic, non-violent Palestinian resistance movement. If only such a movement -- perhaps led by a Gandhi-like figure -- were to finally emerge, we are told, the media coverage will come, and sympathy from across the world will strengthen support for the Palestinian cause.

Posted Image Read more...
It is truly shocking how little news coverage this man's story is receiving. No food since mid December, the man is a bag of bones being held without charge or any evidence. Israel has the self prescribed 'right' to detain any Palestinian without charge for 6 months. The article is correct: there really is no point to non violent resistance for the Palestinians. It receives almost literally no media coverage. Though we should all already be aware of this, as the first 3 futile years of non violent protest when the occupation began amounted to nothing.

#2    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

• I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.
    ― P.T. Barnam

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 19 February 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

It is truly shocking how little news coverage this man's story is receiving. No food since mid December, the man is a bag of bones being held without charge or any evidence. Israel has the self prescribed 'right' to detain any Palestinian without charge for 6 months. The article is correct: there really is no point to non violent resistance for the Palestinians. It receives almost literally no media coverage. Though we should all already be aware of this, as the first 3 futile years of non violent protest when the occupation began amounted to nothing.

Who lived in that country first?

#3    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Jews also lived in Egypt first, are you going to now tell me they have more of a claim to that territory than modern day Egyptians? Going by that EXTREMELY flawed logic the U.S. Should give control of the country to the Native Americans and Australians should give the country back to Egyptians.

But to answer your question: there was only around a percentage of around 10% jews in what is now Israel and the occupied territories before the mass immigration of European Jews. Read a book. Preferable by an Israeli author if you want Perspective.

Anyways, please don't derail my thread. If you want to debate this subject then do a forum search and reply (in a relevant thread) to one of my 800+ posts on the subject. Thanks.

Edited by expandmymind, 19 February 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#4    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

― P.T. Barnam

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 19 February 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Jews also lived in Egypt first, are you going to now tell me they have more of a claim than modern day Egyptians? Going by that EXTREMELY flawed logic the U.S. Should give control of the country to the Native Americans and Australians should give the country back to Egyptians.

Anyways, please don't derail my thread. If you want to debate this subject then do a forum search and reply (in a relevant thread) to one of my 800+ posts on the subject. Thanks.

I'll comment where I like, if you don't mind. Your argument appears to be that because the conquest and settlement of Egypt, Palestine etc. by the Muslims happened in the past, it should be allowed to stand (might is right, in other words). Then surely, by your own logic, the conquest and settlement of Palestine by the Israelis should also be allowed to stand, because it too happened in the past.

#5    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostFlibbertigibbet, on 19 February 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

I'll comment where I like, if you don't mind. Your argument appears to be that because the conquest and settlement of Egypt, Palestine etc. by the Muslims happened in the past, it should be allowed to stand (might is right, in other words). Then surely, by your own logic, the conquest and settlement of Palestine by the Israelis should also be allowed to stand, because it too happened in the past.

In rePly to your first sentence: in fact, no you can't. There exists etiquette on Internet forums that users must not derail topics, diverting the conversation, unless, the topic gradually leads down that path after substantial debate - and also o ly as long as the thread creater agrees. So I will as you only one last time not to derail the important subject matter of this thread.

And apologies to the mods for my accidental quote of my own post

Edited by expandmymind, 19 February 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#6    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

― P.T. Barnam

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 19 February 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

In rePly to your first sentence: in fact, no you can't. There exists etiquette on Internet forums that users must not derail topics, diverting the conversation, unless, the topic gradually leads down that path after substantial debate - and also o ly as long as the thread creater agrees. So I will as you only one last time not to derail the important subject matter of this thread.

My questions, which you avoided, are perfectly relevant to this thread.

#7    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Start a new thread and I'll be happy to reply. What is your opinion on the topic of this thread? What do you think of Israel holding the leader and main bread winner (no pun intended) of a dependent family without charge and without evidence? What is your opinion of the man's noble and non violent attempt to gain the attention of the world's mass media through non violent means? And what ia your opinion of the article?

Edited by expandmymind, 19 February 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#8    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

― P.T. Barnam

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 19 February 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Start a new thread and I'll be happy to reply. What is your opinion on the topic of this thread? What do you think of Israel holding the leader and main bread winner (no pun intended) of a dependent family without charge and without evidence? What is your opinion of the man's noble and non violent attempt to gain attention to the world's mass media through non violent means? And what it your opinion of the article?

Israel has every right to do what it feels necessary to secure peace. If it was this man's intention to gain attention, the Israelis have done him a favour.

#9    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Ah, so not much of an opinion at all then. Fair enough.

#10    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

― P.T. Barnam

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 19 February 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

Ah, so not much of an opinion at all then. Fair enough.

A very strong opinion, in fact. Every nation has the right to secure its own borders and peace for its people. I could also add that had he been a non-Muslim dissident in a Muslim country, he would probably have been tortured to death.

#11    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Only this man (along with countless others) has done nothing wrong. And please don't bring up other countries crimes as a means to deflect attention away from this one. It is a truly weak tactic to employ when debating.

What you are basically saying - and I hear you loud and clear - is that Israel can do what it wants when it wants with regards to the Occupied Territitorries without repercussion.

What exactly is it they were defending their Borders from when it comes to this man?

And I notice you didn't answer the majority of my questions.

#12    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

― P.T. Barnam

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 19 February 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Only this man (along with countless others) has done nothing wrong. And please don't bring up other countries crimes as a means to deflect attention away from this one. It is a truly weak tactic to employ when debating.

What you are basically saying - and I hear you loud and clear - is that Israel can do what it wants when it wants with regards to the Occupied Territitorries without repercussion.

What exactly is it they were defending their Borders from when it comes to this man?

And I notice you didn't answer the majority of my questions.

How do you know he's done nothing wrong?

#13    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

He is being held without charge. Fairly obvious to deduce I would have assumed.

#14    Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

― P.T. Barnam

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 19 February 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

He is being held without charge. Fairly obvious to deduce I would have assumed.

Not necessarily. It could be a pre-emptive security measure or anything at all really. Israel is usually pretty good when it comes to its intelligence service. I suspect you don't believe anything the Israelis ever say though.

#15    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

You can bet that if there was evidence, it would have been released at one of the man's legal hearings by now. In a free society, incarcerating someone without evidence is effectively tyranny.

And I'm sorry, but the Israeli government has done very little to gain the trust of others. Only if we go by documented history, mind you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users