Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Contact = Wishful Thinking?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Missile Punch

Missile Punch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 205 posts

• Be a Simple Kind of Man

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

I was just curious, and was looking for some input. Do many of you believe that Extraterrestrial contact is never likely to happen? That it's just a lot of hopes that will ultimately be shot down? Although there have been many, many claims of all kinds that ET is not only out there, but here on Earth, there has never been any solid evidence brought forth. I myself believe that there is life out there, but I find myself discouraged, and I think that even if there is life out there, we'll probably never be able to prove it. Mind you, I'm talking specifically about intelligent life.

Stranger things have happened

#2    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

I really think that if we are lucky enough to see any sort of "first contact" in this generation that it will be communications. It just makes sense to me to call ahead before blasting your way across the Universe as the Universe is a very dangerous place. Communications are cheaper, easier, no risk to life, and quick. It would be interesting to send out something like the Voyager robes, but set up as a signal repeater permanently pointed at earth.

Or maybe some cameras and radios on the next comet that passes through the system, when it gets back in a hundred years or so, we will have much downloaded data and pics to look at :D

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#3    Missile Punch

Missile Punch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 20 February 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

I really think that if we are lucky enough to see any sort of "first contact" in this generation that it will be communications. It just makes sense to me to call ahead before blasting your way across the Universe as the Universe is a very dangerous place. Communications are cheaper, easier, no risk to life, and quick. It would be interesting to send out something like the Voyager robes, but set up as a signal repeater permanently pointed at earth.

Or maybe some cameras and radios on the next comet that passes through the system, when it gets back in a hundred years or so, we will have much downloaded data and pics to look at :D

Hey, I agree with you completely. Definitely a better choice to call before showing up on the front door. I just wish that we didn't have to wait so long for a (hopefully positive) response!

#4    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

View PostMissile Punch, on 20 February 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Hey, I agree with you completely. Definitely a better choice to call before showing up on the front door. I just wish that we didn't have to wait so long for a (hopefully positive) response!

Indeed I am with you on that one, lets hope we get another WOW! Signal that we are able to respond to.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#5    linttrap

linttrap

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

Be careful what you wish for.

The Onion, a satirical news-site, notice the SATIRICAL, recently offered what might happen when we contact a superior civilization:

Intelligent, Condescending Life Discovered In Distant Galaxy

February 6, 2012 | ISSUE 48•06

HOUSTON—Marking a momentous leap forward in humankind's understanding of the universe, NASA scientists announced today they had received a radio transmission confirming the existence of intelligent, extremely condescending life in a galaxy nearly 13.8 billion light-years away.

According to officials at the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, the message arrived several days after researchers sent a signal to the recently discovered URFy-32924369 galaxy. Members of a highly arrogant alien species responded, saying it was "nice to finally hear from [our] quaint planet" and that it "certainly took [humanity] long enough."

The extraterrestrials explained they had intercepted NASA's transmission using their "far superior technology," because they did not want to "wait the intervening billions of years to receive a simple message from a species working within the laughable constraints of the speed of light."

"We were extremely excited to have made contact with this highly advanced form of life, but it quickly became clear they're pretty big jerks," said NASA scientist Raymond Morrison, referring frequently to a 24-page transcript of the interstellar transmission filled with patronizing language and backhanded compliments. "After telling us they hadn't exactly been holding their breath waiting for us to figure out how to make contact with our 'charmingly simplistic devices,' they informed us they had studied our planet millennia ago but decided it was 'too hopelessly primitive to be worthwhile.'"

According to NASA, the alien species described Earth's 78-percent nitrogen atmosphere as a "decent start," and said mankind had "come a long way in the past century, relatively speaking, considering it took [humans] a full 4 million years to walk upright."

Scientists have expressed mix feelings about the landmark event, noting that while the thrilling discovery of intelligent alien life signals the dawning of a new age in our ability to answer fundamental questions about the very nature of existence, they had not expected an extraterrestrial species to be so dismissive of virtually every aspect of human life.

"We sent them very peaceful, welcoming messages, and they responded by saying it was 'marvelous' that the human race had managed to sustain itself for so long without having made any noteworthy advances of any kind," Morrison said of the aliens, who described the physical appearance of humans with the phrase "interesting-looking, would be the most polite way to put it." "I mean, they weren't threatening us in any way, but they didn't have to be such pricks about everything."

The contemptuous transmission casually discounts centuries of human achievement, with the aliens saying they could not believe mankind still deals with issues of disease and overpopulation. The message then goes on to openly mock humans' "pathetically short life spans."

"When we sent them examples of our very best cultural offerings, they said they 'rather enjoyed the amusing little tinklings' of Mozart and the 'adorable scribblings' of Rembrandt,'" said Morrison, adding that his team will no longer transmit samples of music and art for the aliens to belittle. "They then said they could completely understand how our incredibly low intelligence and level of evolutionary development would allow us to enjoy such 'low-caliber' sensory stimuli."

"They were absolutely relentless," Morrison continued. "I personally feel pretty terrible about myself right now."

The NASA scientists noted, however, that the tone of the discourse changed dramatically after the aliens were sent images of a man jumping from ramps while riding a Kawasaki Jet Ski.

"For some reason, when they saw this footage, we received a barrage of messages saying 'Hold on a second, what is that ?' and 'Please, tell us everything about this Jet Ski,'" said Morrison, later reading several more excerpts from the transmission, among them, "How fast can the Jet Ski go?" and "Is the man riding the Jet Ski a king on your planet?" "They are evidently completely mesmerized by Jet Skis, and have offered us anything we want in exchange for the technology."

At press time, NASA had received a transmission from the alien species in which they apologized for their earlier messages, saying they had "greatly underestimated the Keepers of the Jet Ski."

http://www.theonion....in-dista,27276/

#6    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

On the other hand, you could argue that it is rather silly to send out probes with information as to where in this galaxy we can be found. We dont know whether any intelligent life out there would be friendly or hostile.
I know that if ET landed here, not everyone would greet them with open arms.  Major governments around the world would be very wary of any first contact and their (ET's) intentions. . That's if we didnt shoot them out of the sky before they were able to land.
Just a thought :)

edit,,,was typing as above poster typed but more or less along the same lines lol

Edited by Englishgent, 20 February 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#7    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

And you two know that because you have a 4th eyes in the back of your head but unfortunately you wear a cap?    :innocent: :innocent:  Now I don't particularly believe in ET the Yeti Small foot or anythin because I don't have any proofs  but the same goes for the contrary I don't have any proofs either.  Do you seriously think that an entity who could built a mean of transportation going at incredible speed would attempt to talk to us?  Of there might a Dian Fossey or a Jane Goodal among them but our mind wouldn't be able to understand it.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#8    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

View Postlinttrap, on 20 February 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Be careful what you wish for.

The Onion, a satirical news-site, notice the SATIRICAL, recently offered what might happen when we contact a superior civilization:

Intelligent, Condescending Life Discovered In Distant Galaxy

February 6, 2012 | ISSUE 48•06

**SNIP**

"For some reason, when they saw this footage, we received a barrage of messages saying 'Hold on a second, what is that ?' and 'Please, tell us everything about this Jet Ski,'" said Morrison, later reading several more excerpts from the transmission, among them, "How fast can the Jet Ski go?" and "Is the man riding the Jet Ski a king on your planet?" "They are evidently completely mesmerized by Jet Skis, and have offered us anything we want in exchange for the technology."

At press time, NASA had received a transmission from the alien species in which they apologized for their earlier messages, saying they had "greatly underestimated the Keepers of the Jet Ski."

http://www.theonion....in-dista,27276/

:w00t: That is freaking awesome :D Cheers for that, I rather enjoyed the chuckle!

Edited by psyche101, 20 February 2012 - 06:57 AM.

#9    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 20 February 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

On the other hand, you could argue that it is rather silly to send out probes with information as to where in this galaxy we can be found. We dont know whether any intelligent life out there would be friendly or hostile.
I know that if ET landed here, not everyone would greet them with open arms.  Major governments around the world would be very wary of any first contact and their (ET's) intentions. . That's if we didnt shoot them out of the sky before they were able to land.
Just a thought :)

edit,,,was typing as above poster typed but more or less along the same lines lol

You could argue that, and professor Hawking has echoed somewhat similar sentiments, but I think if we do not try, we will never know. I guess it depends on how much we want to know. I think ET is bound by the same restraints we are - distance, so I really think Communications is a valuable first step.

Edited by psyche101, 20 February 2012 - 06:56 AM.

#10    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostParacelse, on 20 February 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

And you two know that because you have a 4th eyes in the back of your head but unfortunately you wear a cap?    :innocent: :innocent:  Now I don't particularly believe in ET the Yeti Small foot or anythin because I don't have any proofs  but the same goes for the contrary I don't have any proofs either.  Do you seriously think that an entity who could built a mean of transportation going at incredible speed would attempt to talk to us?  Of there might a Dian Fossey or a Jane Goodal among them but our mind wouldn't be able to understand it.

Why must a species be highly advanced to cross space?

LINK - Orion Project

Edited by psyche101, 20 February 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#11    Missile Punch

Missile Punch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 20 February 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

Indeed I am with you on that one, lets hope we get another WOW! Signal that we are able to respond to.

I've heard about the "Wow" signal before, but I just barely read up more about it on another thread (which I'm sure you read). Very interesting! And I agree! It would be great if we could pinpoint the source if another signal were detected!

#12    Missile Punch

Missile Punch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostParacelse, on 20 February 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

I never claimed to "know" anything. I said that I BELIEVE that there is life out there. There is a serious difference between the two. I respect you skeptical view, but I expect you to respect mine as well.

#13    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,488 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

One thing I do know is that if there actually ever is, or already has been, any Extraterrestrial hardware that ever does, or has, visited this Planet, then I wouln't mind betting it'd be a robotic probe rather than a manned (or alienned) Craft. It might not even have any means of, or it may have no interest in, communicating with us; it may be just looking.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#14    Missile Punch

Missile Punch

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

View Post747400, on 20 February 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

One thing I do know is that if there actually ever is, or already has been, any Extraterrestrial hardware that ever does, or has, visited this Planet, then I wouln't mind betting it'd be a robotic probe rather than a manned (or alienned) Craft. It might not even have any means of, or it may have no interest in, communicating with us; it may be just looking.

I think that sounds logical. If I wanted to spy on an alien race (especially one with violent tendencies) I'd prefer to do it remotely, by using robots or drones.

#15    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

I think it's extremely unlikely that we'll ever receive a radio message that we'll be certain came from another civilization but it's not bad science to point large directional antennas and powerful receivers at distant stars to find out what RF energy they're emitting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users