Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Contact = Wishful Thinking?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Fontaine

Frank Fontaine

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

View PostMissile Punch, on 20 February 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

Do many of you believe that Extraterrestrial contact is never likely to happen? That it's just a lot of hopes that will ultimately be shot down?

I think contact is definitely possible, every day of the year. But it also depends on how long we're "open" and if we will "grow" anywhere in space or stay on this planet. If we manage to avoid, say, a nuclear war and if we will have any resources left to actually go into space, then the chance of contact will of course become greater. Now I don't think doomsday will happen anytime soon, but we do live on a finite planet, and we have yet to build a permanent base.

I myself believe that there is life out there, but I find myself discouraged, and I think that even if there is life out there, we'll probably never be able to prove it.

I've always had this secret thought that either China or Russia, or any other nation should load a rocket with modified bacteria and launch at Mars. A decade later - aliens! :)

In any case, time will tell.

View PostEnglishgent, on 20 February 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

On the other hand, you could argue that it is rather silly to send out probes with information as to where in this galaxy we can be found. We dont know whether any intelligent life out there would be friendly or hostile.

I'm beginning to wonder if it really is possible to travel in space as a hostile alien. At best I would say "indifferent". They've colonized/sucked up the resources of our neighbouring planet, and now it's our turn, not unlike our own oil drilling and tree cutting industries. I don't understand what they would be afraid of, or why they would hate us. There's already been discussions about need for resources and/or medical experiments, but I don't buy that.

That's if we didnt shoot them out of the sky before they were able to land.

Then those aliens wouldn't be very intelligent. You don't engage in contact unless you're desperate or really prepared. Especially on another planet.

#17    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

I Think Authorities Are Slowly Starting To Introduce People To Believe ETs Exist .. We Are Constantly Being Bombarded With News, Movies, Videos And The Likes About Aliens .. In My Opinion They Are Preparing Us For Something Big That Is About To Happen (Which They Have Known About For Ages, But Have Kept It Secret From People) .. Probably Not In Our Lifetime .. Maybe Our Grandchildren Will Experience Something On A Greater Scale .. I Hope So ..

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#18    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostNinhursag, on 23 February 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

I Think Authorities Are Slowly Starting To Introduce People To Believe ETs Exist .. We Are Constantly Being Bombarded With News, Movies, Videos And The Likes About Aliens .. In My Opinion They Are Preparing Us For Something Big That Is About To Happen (Which They Have Known About For Ages, But Have Kept It Secret From People) .. Probably Not In Our Lifetime .. Maybe Our Grandchildren Will Experience Something On A Greater Scale .. I Hope So ..
I Believe The First Alien Message Will Have Every Word Capitalized. That Is How We Will Know It Came From Another Civilization.

#19    Teavee75

Teavee75

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

It's certainly something I'd  love to see happen, as long as of course the Aliens are of the 'Close Encounters' friendly variety...there is probably at least as much chance that they would be malevolent I guess...in which case it would be better they don't pay us a visit.

I feel disappointed by the rate our space exploration has gone, I thought we would have explored our solar system more thoroughly by now, and perhaps in doing so already found life.

If we found life on a neighboring planet, or moon then I think it would make it a statistical certainty that there are advanced civilizations  elsewhere.

The evidence of them already visiting here mostly seems unreliable, except perhaps some of the accounts by professional pilots.

#20    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

View PostTeavee75, on 24 February 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

It's certainly something I'd  love to see happen, as long as of course the Aliens are of the 'Close Encounters' friendly variety...there is probably at least as much chance that they would be malevolent I guess...in which case it would be better they don't pay us a visit.

I think everyone would like to such an amazing event, I guess that is why so many people wish for it to happen.

I feel disappointed by the rate our space exploration has gone, I thought we would have explored our solar system more thoroughly by now, and perhaps in doing so already found life.

That is a shame, billions of dollars have been spent, lives have been lost, and those that risked lives and have come back. I thought it was quite an achievement. Money and distance is some key factors keeping the space race at the current pace. Personally, I am pretty proud of the achievement's we have made to date. And we do have a pretty decent understanding of our Solar System. We have sent probes to most planets, some moons, comets and asteroids as well. We only got into space about 40 years ago, have some patience.

If we found life on a neighboring planet, or moon then I think it would make it a statistical certainty that there are advanced civilizations  elsewhere.

Not at all, there is a possibility that basic life on one of our planets might have come from earth via Panspermia, or life may have propagated this solar system with one event. Unless the life form has a distinct genetic makeup, it might still be something distantly related to us. And a find of basic life forms does not guarantee that we will find intelligent life within a traversable distance.

The evidence of them already visiting here mostly seems unreliable, except perhaps some of the accounts by professional pilots.

Pilots are no better than you or I as a witness with regards to fallibility and honesty.

View PostNinhursag, on 23 February 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

No.

Edited by psyche101, 24 February 2012 - 02:15 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#21    Robbo

Robbo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

We get 'bombarded' with alien movies because its popular culture now. We're tired of movies were the bad guys are Russian or the stereotypical well spoken English evil genius.

Besides how many alien 'bad guy' movies are there, compared with the other genres? I'd say we're bombarded more with cringe-worthy horrible rom-coms.

Obviously I would think it would be wonderful to know there is at least one other intelligent species out there - I just don't submit to the idea that our governments are keeping this information from us...to do so would credit them with being much more intelligent and resourceful than they appear to be.

"When you've done things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - God entity

#22    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,410 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostRobbo, on 24 February 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

...I just don't submit to the idea that our governments are keeping this information from us...to do so would credit them with being much more intelligent and resourceful than they appear to be.

I have to agree, the notion that the government could keep such information secret is like saying a sieve could hold water, it's just not possible. :no:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#23    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 24 February 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

That is a shame, billions of dollars have been spent, lives have been lost, and those that risked lives and have come back. I thought it was quite an achievement. Money and distance is some key factors keeping the space race at the current pace.
About the money. NASA bet everything on the Space Shuttle. They lost. Now they're a flailing organization with no focus other than the ISS which was oddly placed in a polar orbit so it couldn't be used to launch anything at planets. The American public hasn't been less interested in space exploration since the day before Sputnik.

Personally, I am pretty proud of the achievement's we have made to date. And we do have a pretty decent understanding of our Solar System. We have sent probes to most planets, some moons, comets and asteroids as well. We only got into space about 40 years ago, have some patience.
The attitude I get about space probes from most people I know is that they're sooooo boooooring! They don't care about spending millions of dollars to send metal cans and remote controlled cars full of electronics to planets just to get back a bunch of stupid pictures. They want to see spectacles like loud Space Shuttle launches with big explosions and brave people risking their lives. That's what space exploration is all about!

#24    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 206 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

Are we absolutely sure that if an extraterrestrial intelligence were to make contact with earth that humans would be the recipients of this exchange.From what I've read the Blue Whale has an extremely complicated language.Maybe that would appeal more to an advanced civilization.Just a thought.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#25    Sebastian_

Sebastian_

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• www.ghostrockets.se

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

This is a really interesting, classical discussion. I don't really know what to think about extra terrestrial life. All I can say is that I think it would be very sad if we actually were all alone in the universe. Especially since we don't really take care of what we have. Being alone is the worst thing that can happen to a person. For humanity as a specie, to be alone, can be just as terrifying. Hoping is one thing, knowing is something entirely different. I do hope there is life outside of this planet.

Edited by Sebastian_, 27 February 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#26    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 206 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

[quote name='Sebastian_' timestamp='1330339387' post='4216621']
This is a really interesting, classical discussion. I don't really know what to think about extra terrestrial life. All I can say is that I think it would be very sad if we actually were all alone in the universe. Especially since we don't really take care of what we have. Being alone is the worst thing that can happen to a person. For humanity as a specie, to be alone, can be just as terrifying. Hoping is one thing, knowing is something entirely different. I do hope there is life outside of this planet.
[ /quote]                                                                                                                                                                     Hi Sebastian,when we do make contact with an intelligence outside of our world I do hope that it is someone who has an open mind and can grasph what it is they are recieving.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#27    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostSebastian_, on 27 February 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

This is a really interesting, classical discussion. I don't really know what to think about extra terrestrial life. All I can say is that I think it would be very sad if we actually were all alone in the universe.
Why? Are you hoping advanced aliens will descend and save our civilization like Biblical angels?

Especially since we don't really take care of what we have.
What does this have to do with anything?

Being alone is the worst thing that can happen to a person. For humanity as a specie, to be alone, can be just as terrifying.
Get a pet. They're not human but some can almost seem like aliens, especially certain cats, and you'll never feel like you're alone. There's no reason to wait for aliens.

#28    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,791 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

Contact in its self is Good for all ! ITs not wishful thinking !  ITs the waiting that kinda gets old ! justDONTEATUS :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#29    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

View Postscowl, on 24 February 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

About the money. NASA bet everything on the Space Shuttle. They lost. Now they're a flailing organization with no focus other than the ISS which was oddly placed in a polar orbit so it couldn't be used to launch anything at planets. The American public hasn't been less interested in space exploration since the day before Sputnik.

I do not think that is the fault of NASA, but the allocation of funds, we know the Apollo missions were cut due to lack of public interest.

View Postscowl, on 24 February 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

The attitude I get about space probes from most people I know is that they're sooooo boooooring! They don't care about spending millions of dollars to send metal cans and remote controlled cars full of electronics to planets just to get back a bunch of stupid pictures. They want to see spectacles like loud Space Shuttle launches with big explosions and brave people risking their lives. That's what space exploration is all about!

I don't, I have had many enjoyable conversations about Kepler, Cassini and Hubble. They had a big explosion last year when they crashed LCross into the moon, but the Mars Rovers still sem to garner more interest.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#30    Sebastian_

Sebastian_

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• www.ghostrockets.se

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

View Postscowl, on 01 March 2012 - 03:17 AM, said:

Why? Are you hoping advanced aliens will descend and save our civilization like Biblical angels?

What does this have to do with anything?

Get a pet. They're not human but some can almost seem like aliens, especially certain cats, and you'll never feel like you're alone. There's no reason to wait for aliens.

Haha. Just trying to be quasi-philosophical that's all. I get your point, it all sounded like a pretty cliche.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users