Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How Much Would it Cost

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,835 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

Building a massive space weapon is all very well, but you have to find the materials to build it with. It's easy to say that "sure, the Death Star would be expensive" but is there actually enough iron in the Earth to make the first Death Star? Centives decided to find out.

We began by looking at how big the Death Star is. The first one is reported to be 140km in diameter and it sure looks like it's made of steel. But how much steel? We decided to model the Death Star as having a similar density in steel as a modern warship. After all, they're both essentially floating weapons platforms so that seems reasonable.

But, before you go off to start building your apocalyptic weapon, do bear in mind two things. Firstly, the two billion death stars is mostly from the Earth's core which we would all really rather you didn't remove. And secondly, at today's rate of steel production (1.3 billion tonnes annually), it would take 833,315 years to produce enough steel to begin work. So once someone notices what you're up to, you have to fend them off for 800 millennia before you have a chance to fight back. In context, it takes under an hour to get the steel for HMS Illustrious.

Oh, and the cost of the steel alone? At 2012 prices, about $852,000,000,000,000,000. Or roughly 13,000 times the world's GDP.*

But then again, you can just take out a loan from the entire planet and then default on them in the most awesome way possible.

LINK

Posted Image

Anyone keen to chuck in?

Edited by psyche101, 21 February 2012 - 02:22 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#2    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

It depends. Do you want the defective version with the exhaust port that is uncovered and can cause a chain reaction destroying the entire star if someone so much as drops a Tic-Tac down the wrong port?

I think before you get to that part you at least budget for some particle board and some nails to cover that bad boy up, otherwise you are looking at a potential poo-storm from legal if anyone/everyone gets hurt with that flaw in place.

Just an FYI.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,088 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 21 February 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

And secondly, at today's rate of steel production (1.3 billion tonnes annually), it would take 833,315 years to produce enough steel to begin work. So once someone notices what you're up to, you have to fend them off for 800 millennia before you have a chance to fight back. In context, it takes under an hour to get the steel for HMS Illustrious.

Oh, and the cost of the steel alone? At 2012 prices, about $852,000,000,000,000,000. Or roughly 13,000 times the world's GDP.*

But then again, you can just take out a loan from the entire planet and then default on them in the most awesome way possible.
Not too hard considering the Emperor controlled the greater majority of the planets of the galaxy. Estimated Empirial planets was in the millions, some of which were Forge worlds that were covered completely in industry.

with only 69 million systems meeting the requirements for Imperial representation, and 1.75 million planets considered full member worlds. In total, the galaxy was populated by approximately 100 quadrillion different life forms.
http://starwars.wiki...wiki/The_galaxy

With taxes (extortion/bribes/tribute) from Quadrillions of sentients, I'm sure that the costs were trivial.

It's good to be the King... err... Emperor.

Edited by DieChecker, 21 February 2012 - 04:59 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,835 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostFluffybunny, on 21 February 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

It depends. Do you want the defective version with the exhaust port that is uncovered and can cause a chain reaction destroying the entire star if someone so much as drops a Tic-Tac down the wrong port?

I think before you get to that part you at least budget for some particle board and some nails to cover that bad boy up, otherwise you are looking at a potential poo-storm from legal if anyone/everyone gets hurt with that flaw in place.

Just an FYI.

LOL, I hope we are learning from past experiences! I am sure the Empire has a ruthless legal team though!

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#5    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,835 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 21 February 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

Not too hard considering the Emperor controlled the greater majority of the planets of the galaxy. Estimated Empirial planets was in the millions, some of which were Forge worlds that were covered completely in industry.

http://starwars.wiki...wiki/The_galaxy

With taxes (extortion/bribes/tribute) from Quadrillions of sentients, I'm sure that the costs were trivial.

It's good to be the King... err... Emperor.

Imagine the freight costs though! Perhaps we need to get out there and conquer a few planets so we can make a death star :devil:

#6    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

I have heard the Greeks like to avoid tax. make it tax exempt and they would pay for it ;)

#7    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,068 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

I think it would be cheaper and easier to retro-fit the moon with a few bits of angle iron, some laser pointers and some of bottle rockets , the tides might be a bit off while we are out of orbit but all in all it seems a solid idea  :w00t:

TiP.

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

#8    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

And that is why it bankrupted several star-systems to make it :)

Edited by Kryso, 22 February 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#9    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,408 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

It would be cheaper to have it made in China but would there be issues with lead in the paint..

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#10    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,835 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

View Posttipotep, on 21 February 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

I think it would be cheaper and easier to retro-fit the moon with a few bits of angle iron, some laser pointers and some of bottle rockets , the tides might be a bit off while we are out of orbit but all in all it seems a solid idea  :w00t:

TiP.

But how are we going to fly the moon around the Universe blowing up planets? The Earth is relying on the moon to keep it stable ATM. No point in a Death Star if is does not kill anyone!

Unless we blow earth up, and go looking for a new one?

#11    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,835 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 22 February 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

It would be cheaper to have it made in China but would there be issues with lead in the paint..

Now that is a good idea, I wonder what the total cost will come down to if we put this out to tender?

#12    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,835 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 21 February 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

I have heard the Greeks like to avoid tax. make it tax exempt and they would pay for it ;)

Another good angle, All Churches are tax free, and Scientology bribed the FBI into giving them Church status, surely they would like this for Xenu?

#13    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,068 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:39 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 22 February 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

But how are we going to fly the moon around the Universe blowing up planets? The Earth is relying on the moon to keep it stable ATM. No point in a Death Star if is does not kill anyone!

Unless we blow earth up, and go looking for a new one?

You didn't catch the bit about the bottle rockets ? Thats our power baby  :w00t:

I did say that we might have a few tidal issues but I have had a new though , we can attach a cable to the earth and drag it around like our biarch  :tu:

TiP.

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

#14    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

well it does have to be solid iron. We make an iron alloy using some cheaper material mixed in. This should bring down costs abit.

#15    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,835 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

View Posttipotep, on 22 February 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

You didn't catch the bit about the bottle rockets ? Thats our power baby  :w00t:

I did say that we might have a few tidal issues but I have had a new though , we can attach a cable to the earth and drag it around like our biarch  :tu:

TiP.

Ohh yeah, onto the bottle rockets, I was worried the surf would go flat. It seems you have that covered, so I am back on board. Time to put this out to tender now, see who stuffs the quote up, and get the lowest price :w00t:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users