Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Cockatoo feeds noodles to a dog (video)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,654 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

Maybe he thought they were worms.

This bird made an unlikely four-legged friend after feeding a dog noodles from the kitchen counter top.

The pair have a Lady and the Tramp moment as the cockatoo bobs his way toward his furry companion to share a string of spaghetti.

Posted Image Read more...
How cute  :)

Posted Image

#2    _Only

_Only

• 6,508 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Shocking crime caught on tape!

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#3    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

Awww cute... the dog  took them off the  bird ever so gentle.......

Question... What was the  Cockatoo  dipping the noodles in before giving them to the dog to eat?   Was it some kind of sauce?  

I want a bird like that.. so I can call it Seymour . and  call out - FEED ME SEYMOUR .. FEED ME !!  Joking of course Posted Image

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 21 February 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#4    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,159 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

As a former large bird owner and breeder for the pet and show trade (the bird in the video appears to be a Goffins Cockatoo--one of the smaller 'toos.) this doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen parrots do all manner of strange things in an effort to entertain themselves. My guess is that cockatoo thought the very act of dropping noodles into the dogs mouth was hilarious and fun. I highly doubt that he was immitating feeding young. Generally when parrots are mimicking feeding young they will bring up a bunch of yucky half digested muck from their crops and basically "barf" it on to you or into the mouthes of their young.

I had an african origin Meyers parrot at one time. He was famous for LOVING to feed other people... he'd be wandering around teh house, pick up a cracker or especially a grape, and would wander over and try to shove it into your mouth. I'm sure he thought it was funny or fun. it was quite a different scenario when he was immitating feeding young or a mating ritual of feeding a mate (which they will do) ... then he'd come over and deliberately barf on you. Gross. LOL.

Parrots are funny and fun creatures mixed with a lot of ear shattering noise, mess and yes, even bite injuries, but the good in having them outweighs the bad if  you're up for the task of having a perpetual 2 year old living in your home with you for the next 80 years LOL... I laugh, but I'm pretty serious actually. haha.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#5    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 21 February 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

As a former large bird owner and breeder for the pet and show trade (the bird in the video appears to be a Goffins Cockatoo--one of the smaller 'toos.) this doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen parrots do all manner of strange things in an effort to entertain themselves. My guess is that cockatoo thought the very act of dropping noodles into the dogs mouth was hilarious and fun. I highly doubt that he was immitating feeding young. Generally when parrots are mimicking feeding young they will bring up a bunch of yucky half digested muck from their crops and basically "barf" it on to you or into the mouthes of their young.

I had an african origin Meyers parrot at one time. He was famous for LOVING to feed other people... he'd be wandering around teh house, pick up a cracker or especially a grape, and would wander over and try to shove it into your mouth. I'm sure he thought it was funny or fun. it was quite a different scenario when he was immitating feeding young or a mating ritual of feeding a mate (which they will do) ... then he'd come over and deliberately barf on you. Gross. LOL.

That is too cute.. and yea   they most likely do it once, see a reaction, find it fun and keep doing it .. lol

Parrots are funny and fun creatures mixed with a lot of ear shattering noise, mess and yes, even bite injuries, but the good in having them outweighs the bad if  you're up for the task of having a perpetual 2 year old living in your home with you for the next 80 years LOL... I laugh, but I'm pretty serious actually. haha.

A lady used to look after my daughter when she was just a baby, I was off working longer hours and needed to hire someone at the time to help out... Anyhoo.. The lady   ( Named Winnie)  had two beautiful parrots   in her hallway... One was very out spoken...  Every time  Winnie bent down to pick up a toy one of the kids dropped.. the parrot would  chirp out - SQUAK  ...WINNIES BIG BUM ...BIG BUM

If my daughter went to the cage it got used to her and  talked to her at times too...    She also had 3 dogs out back... She would allow the parrots to fly freely around the home..and one of them would perch on  the dogs head and sometimes his back... pecking him...the dog loved it.. It was like having a personal groomer  lol

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,366 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

Partners in crime. Too funny - and wasn't he a good old dog?   If either of them had thumbs it could get ugly.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#7    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,159 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 21 February 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Awww cute... the dog  took them off the  bird ever so gentle.......

Question... What was the  Cockatoo  dipping the noodles in before giving them to the dog to eat?   Was it some kind of sauce?  

I want a bird like that.. so I can call it Seymour . and  call out - FEED ME SEYMOUR .. FEED ME !!  Joking of course Posted Image

I wasn't able to watch the video while I was at work, but have since I got home. I see what the bird is doing... it's pretty standard behavior. If captive parrots are fed a diet of pellets, which is a good diet, they'll often dip the pellets into water to soften them somewhat. They tend to do it with other foods as well, it becomes routine for them. Seed fed birds don't do this as often. My macaw used to dip his pellets in his water all time, consequently he dipped other foods into it as well just out of routine. I'd be willing to bet this is a pellet fed cockatoo. :)

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#8    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 22 February 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

I wasn't able to watch the video while I was at work, but have since I got home. I see what the bird is doing... it's pretty standard behavior. If captive parrots are fed a diet of pellets, which is a good diet, they'll often dip the pellets into water to soften them somewhat. They tend to do it with other foods as well, it becomes routine for them. Seed fed birds don't do this as often. My macaw used to dip his pellets in his water all time, consequently he dipped other foods into it as well just out of routine. I'd be willing to bet this is a pellet fed cockatoo. :)

You seem to know a lot about these birds  ...All I can add to that is  - Smart birds, using common sense .. So that is what the cockatoo was doing, softening the noodles up for the dog to eat..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 22 February 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#9    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,159 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

That's more or less what he was doing. Mostly he was probably "dipping" out of habit rather than out of liking sauce. LOL

Parrots are funny creatures. I love them, I raised them for years. At one point, I had an aviary of over 200 birds (mostly cockatiels) and had a couple pets... a meyers parrot, a very funny blue and gold macaw, and an blue crown conure (like the bird from the movie Polly). I have no birds now since my ex-husband gave my Macaw away to spite me during our divorce (heartbreaking, had him for 14 years and raised him from an egg) and all I had left was a pair of cockatiels afterward. When I moved into my current house, my nearly 20 year old tiels didn't take the move too well and passed away shortly after. One day I might have another bird... maybe when I retire... my daughter would take care of it eventually since it will clearly outlive me. I'll probably go with a cockatoo actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users