Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Your favorite Villians and Bad Guys

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

When I was younger I was so in love with Hans Gruber from the Die Hard movie.  Then he went on to be Professor Snape and I was in bliss!   I love a cynical, intellectual genius who is a loner but somehow runs the show.  

Posted Image

Gene Hackman's character in The Firm

Avary Tolar was one of those martyr types who was either a good guy at the end of the day or just bored with the whole mess.   That for some reason impressed me.

Posted Image

Brian Dennehy in Rambo First Blood,  he was a pain in the butt but he was in way over his head and finally figured it out.  He was stocky and tough,  love a man in uniform.

Posted Image

Vin Diesel's character Riddick in Pitch Black wasn't exactly a villian.  But he was supposed to be the bad guy and he saved everyone's butt.  He was super strong, very smart and tough.  Plus he did the scene where he dislocates his shoulder for real.

Posted Image

Edited by Cassea, 22 February 2012 - 07:33 AM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#2    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

My fav bad guy is neither dashing nor debonaire but he is most certainly bad.  
Heath Ledgers portrayal of The Joker in, The Dark Knight, epitomised the evil loner
freak to a tee. Incorruptable evil, he said laughing as Batman was trying to beat information
out of him, "You have nothing to threaten me with." :devil:
Posted Image

Edited by Device, 22 February 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#3    wittyusernamefailed

wittyusernamefailed

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 135 posts

• "Well, this is gonna be a wipe"

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image

Have to appreciate his ideals in a the DC universe, after all dead criminals tend to not commit crimes.

#4    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Cassea.....your quote 'I  love a cynical, intellectual genius who is a loner but somehow runs the  show'' made me blush :blush:

#5    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostDevice, on 22 February 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Heath Ledgers portrayal of The Joker in, The Dark Knight, epitomised the evil loner
freak to a tee. Incorruptable evil, he said laughing as Batman was trying to beat information
Posted Image

I have to agree, others are Gary Oldman in Dracula
Posted Image

And although he definitely was not evil after the fact, Sam Worthington saved Terminator Salvations as ex murderer on death row turned Terminator

Plus I like Tom Hardy in Star Trek Nemesis
Posted Image

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#6    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostDevice, on 22 February 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

Funny you should use this one.  It was this character is someone's avatar that inspired me to start this thread.  He was very sexy in this role, even dressed up in the Nurses uniform.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#7    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'm just going to stick to two because if I did more I'd be here all night.  So starting with the best bad guy ever (and this is not just my opinion, the Scream Awards 2011 voted him the best bad guy ever) - the incomparable Darth Vader *synthetic breathing*

Posted Image

There is no comparison, he is the ultimate bad guy.  However, in saying that, one of my other favourite bad guys (and much more human than Vader ever was, even when he was portrayed as Anakin), is one Brigadier General Francis X. Hummel.  He was the villain in The Rock, facing up against Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage.  

Posted Image

This villain was scripted into a film made by Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay (name any action film with no plot and massive explosions made in the last fifteen years and chances are these guys are involved somewhere).  However, with The Rock Ed Harris (who played Hummel) managed to legitimise the whole story.  He played a believable character who was not just evil for the sake of evil, but had a very strong moral idea of self (which tragically led to him taking tragic actions).  For an action film he was a bad guy we could sympathise with and understand their motives (if not agree with their actions).  Powerful theatre :tu:

I want to watch The Rock again now.  Damn you for starting this thread :ph34r: :P

~ PA

Edited by Paranoid Android, 22 February 2012 - 03:38 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,569 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I agree with all of the above but...
As I tend toward comedy let me add a few:

Boris Badenoff (Rocky And Bullwinkle)
Cactus Jack Slade (Kirk Douglas from the comedy western "The Villan" - a Live action Road Runner Cartoon)
Wyle E Coyote (even though he's the 'villian' almost everyone roots for him)

Hedley Lamarr (Harvey Korman from "Blazing Saddles")
The Incredibly Rude Frenchman  (From Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

A few more traditional 'bad guys'...

Professor Snape (Harry Potter movies)
Sgt Stryker(?) (John Wayne - "The Sands of Iwo Jima" - a 'bad guy' with a good reason)
Hannibal Lector

#9    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostCassea, on 22 February 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

Funny you should use this one.  It was this character is someone's avatar that inspired me to start this thread.

Yeah, that was my last avatar. I changed it to this 'donnie darko' panda.

He was very sexy in this role, even dressed up in the Nurses uniform.

Yeah that was a cool scene in the hospital. Looked like some messed-up drag queen.

Good topic.

I'll just quickly slip another one in here.
Clancy Brown as the Kurgan in the 1986 film The Highlander.
An 'unstoppable force of darkness'. A Terminator type character
but cooler - in my opinion.
Posted Image

Edited by Device, 22 February 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#10    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,546 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Posted Image

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#11    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Posted Image

#12    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

The Operative from Serenity. Calm, collective, and rather philosophical. What I love about him is that unlike many villains he freely acknowledges that he's evil. In his mind he's working towards a goal that he can never share.
"I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

Though I think my favourite villain has to be David Xanatos from Gargoyles, mainly due to how to reacts when things go wrong. Some vast plot of his could blow up in his face and while other villains would rage and vow revenge, he just takes it in stride and moves on, pleased that he at least learned something from his failures.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#13    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,608 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

View PostTaun, on 22 February 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Wyle E Coyote (even though he's the 'villian' almost everyone roots for him)
I've always thought of Wyle E as more of a hero. No matter how bad he gets the crap beat out of him he never gives up. :tu:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#14    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• 1,405 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

I've also always loved the calm, smart bad guy. My all time faves:

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs

Posted Image

John Malkovich as Mitch Leary in In the Line of Fire

Posted Image

And my all-time favorite:

Kevin Spacey as John Doe in Se7en

Posted Image

OH, and Christopher Walken turns any role he plays into a creepy bad villain.

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Gotta go with the Governor from the Walking Dead comics/books.  Soon to be seen on TV.

It's hard to get more diabolical than that guy.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users