Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Demystifying the paranormal - part one

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Ville Miettinen</strong>
Image credit: Ville Miettinen
Chris Broka: Ghosts have been reported throughout human history, and all languages seem to contain at least one word for the concept. While different cultures explain it differently, they seem to be documenting a phenomenon whose essential features vary surprisingly little. Ghosts, when seen, are often observed to resemble persons that have died. This has led to the belief that they are the souls or non-corporeal essences of those deceased persons. Ghosts are also described as being able to interact with the living world. They can sometimes speak. They can, apparently, move objects and even touch people.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Interesting article, but a bit difficult to read because of the repeated sections of text that occur throughout it.

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,917 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Apologies for that, the duplicate sections have since been removed.

#4    VvROMULUSvV

VvROMULUSvV

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

This is brilliant. A true attempt at explaining ghosts using science (or unknown science if you will), i can't wait to read part two.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,258 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I actually believe there is no such thing as paranormal,we just haven't figured out the means by which to fully understand what we cannot see.

For example,if you told a man from the 15th century,when he bleeds,the red stuff is composed of millions of tiny round things that help him to live.
He would have said you were a Nutter .
Along comes the 19th century,and the first microscopes are invented.Voila,you can see cells .
I just think a proper way to measure a good deal of these things that puzzle us,just hasn't been invented yet.Or maybe it has,but we are not privy to it.

Miss me?

#6    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

View Postmissymoo999, on 11 March 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

I actually believe there is no such thing as paranormal,we just haven't figured out the means by which to fully understand what we cannot see.

For example,if you told a man from the 15th century,when he bleeds,the red stuff is composed of millions of tiny round things that help him to live.
He would have said you were a Nutter .
Along comes the 19th century,and the first microscopes are invented.Voila,you can see cells .
I just think a proper way to measure a good deal of these things that puzzle us,just hasn't been invented yet.Or maybe it has,but we are not privy to it.
You honestly believe in the fifteenth century people didn't understand that blood was essential to life ? Perhaps they thought air unnecessary too.  :rolleyes:

#7    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostHabitat, on 11 March 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

You honestly believe in the fifteenth century people didn't understand that blood was essential to life ? Perhaps they thought air unnecessary too.  :rolleyes:

I don't think Missy was implying that at all. Merely that 15th century people didn't know that blood was comprised of individual cells and not just some red fluid. Science was able to make this discovery later though after the invention of the microscope. The analogy fits in my opinion. Who knows what paranormal mysteries are waiting to be explained with the advent of new technologies?

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,258 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 11 March 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

I don't think Missy was implying that at all. Merely that 15th century people didn't know that blood was comprised of individual cells and not just some red fluid. Science was able to make this discovery later though after the invention of the microscope. The analogy fits in my opinion. Who knows what paranormal mysteries are waiting to be explained with the advent of new technologies?
Thank you S2F.Thats exactly what I meant.
The the literal meaning of the word occult,is something that is present,but cannot be seen with the naked eye.
The vehicles to uncover the true nature of things like ghosts etc,are just not available to us at this point in time.They may never be,but we can hope.

Miss me?

#9    KnockoutMouse

KnockoutMouse

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

You can't demystify what you can't comprehend.

Try, try again.

#10    abners

abners

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Interesting article!thanks.-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users