Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

LENT - What are you giving up?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,608 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

For those who observe Lent, I was wondering if anyone wanted to share what they are giving up.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#2    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think it would be good for me to keep away from alcohol.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#3    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 22 February 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

For those who observe Lent, I was wondering if anyone wanted to share what they are giving up.

Reading your posts ......ha ha only joking.. You know I love ya Biff.. and besides you make me laugh many times...Posted Image

I don't bother with lent any more.. I haven't done for many years to be honest.....Same with New years resolutions... I say I am giving something up... work on it for so long and I wind up going back on it again anyway ...I have no staying power  lol

I used to take lent very seriously.. We used to give up candy/ chocolates  and fizzy drinks for lent..  What we did was each time we got any candy or treats bought for us, we put them all into this big container and locked it up...   Come  the end of lent, we would see  who had the most saved up.......We also had to attend mass service every week night too... sigh ... lol

But now days  I never bother with it....  I should do it to encourage my daughter, to get her to give up eating too much junk  candy and so on... She eats too much  ...I could get her to do what used to do?   I dunno

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#4    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

All junk food, including fast food.
I'll be eating only non-processed food for the next 40 days.

#5    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,608 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

View Postbulveye, on 22 February 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

I think it would be good for me to keep away from alcohol.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing for lent. It would probably do my liver some good. :tu:

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 22 February 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Reading your posts ......ha ha only joking.. You know I love ya Biff.. and besides you make me laugh many times...Posted Image

I don't bother with lent any more.. I haven't done for many years to be honest.....Same with New years resolutions...
I've actually stuck to my New Year's resolution quite well so far. When money would get tight I'd roll a little bit out of the Christmas Club in my bank to cover bills. This year I told my wife we are not touching that money at all. So far so good.

View PostNeognosis, on 22 February 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Ouch, that would be a tough one for me. Good luck with that.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#6    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Ouch, that would be a tough one for me. Good luck with that.

Thank you.

I have done this every year for the past 19 years. The resulting weight loss before summer is a great benefit too.

#7    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 22 February 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

I just left Mass and I will give up all food until four o'clock. I will only drink coffee and such. I do not like fish at all but for all of the next Fridays I will eat seafood. Ash Wednsday and the next forty days gives me time to contemplate how I can become closer to God and be a better person toward my fellow humans and animals. This is a very special time for me.

Robbie James

#8    Robbie333

Robbie333

• 2,790 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 22 February 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

I don't bother with lent any more.. I haven't done for many years to be honest.....Same with New years resolutions... I say I am giving something up... work on it for so long and I wind up going back on it again anyway ...I have no staying power  lol

I used to take lent very seriously.. We used to give up candy/ chocolates  and fizzy drinks for lent..  What we did was each time we got any candy or treats bought for us, we put them all into this big container and locked it up...   Come  the end of lent, we would see  who had the most saved up.......We also had to attend mass service every week night too... sigh ... lol

But now days  I never bother with it....  I should do it to encourage my daughter, to get her to give up eating too much junk  candy and so on... She eats too much  ...I could get her to do what used to do?   I dunno

The religious part is you and your daughters business BM. I don't bang the table, as you know. Allow me to say this since you are a friend in here and just give you something to think about. Maybe now is a good time to teach teach your daughter to eat more healthy. That indeed cannot be a bad thing. Our kids eat way too much junk and fast food. Goodness knows I am guilty as the rest but aiming your daughter to eat more healthy while she is young could start a trend you instill in her. Have a good one.

Robbie James

#9    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Wonderful to see all the Christian devotion in this thread.   I don't celebrate Lent but your passion almost makes me want to.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#10    Robbie333

Robbie333

• 2,790 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostCassea, on 22 February 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Wonderful to see all the Christian devotion in this thread.   I don't celebrate Lent but your passion almost makes me want to.

It is a good time to contemplate and regroup my friend.

Robbie James

#11    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,272 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 22 February 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Wow, you eat nothing but fresh produce for a month? That's quite admirable!!  :tu:

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#12    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostRobbie333, on 22 February 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

It is a good time to contemplate and regroup my friend.

I never celebrated Lent.  But one year I decided to give up lolipops.  Interestingly my parents used to be good friends with Telly Savalas and they nick named me Kojak because I was always sucking on a lolipop.   When I would write my papers for school it got to the point that I didn't even pay attention.  As I was typing I'd be drooling and not even notice.  Really sad in a way.  So that year during Lent, when so many friends, were giving things up.  I thought.  Why not?  So I thought it'd be no big deal.  But I hadn't realized how used to them I had gotten.  I really could not type my papers without them,  I was so used to having something in my mouth. Pressing up against it with my tongue.  So I had to move on to butterscotches and candies or I would not have gotten anything done.  I thought " how can I be addicted to having something in my mouth?"  My brother pointed out that is like the oral fixation that smokers have. So I guess. I am not too strange.   But I always wonder if it is really hard for you all to do Lent.  I'm too chicken now.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#13    Robbie333

Robbie333

• 2,790 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostCassea, on 22 February 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

I never celebrated Lent.  But one year I decided to give up lolipops.  Interestingly my parents used to be good friends with Telly Savalas and they nick named me Kojak because I was always sucking on a lolipop.   When I would write my papers for school it got to the point that I didn't even pay attention.  As I was typing I'd be drooling and not even notice.  Really sad in a way.  So that year during Lent, when so many friends, were giving things up.  I thought.  Why not?  So I thought it'd be no big deal.  But I hadn't realized how used to them I had gotten.  I really could not type my papers without them,  I was so used to having something in my mouth. Pressing up against it with my tongue.  So I had to move on to butterscotches and candies or I would not have gotten anything done.  I thought " how can I be addicted to having something in my mouth?"  My brother pointed out that is like the oral fixation that smokers have. So I guess. I am not too strange.   But I always wonder if it is really hard for you all to do Lent.  I'm too chicken now.

LOL, Its funny you spoke of this. I have a new addiction I found at our locale Dollar Store last week. Coffee candy with a shot of Expresso inside. My name is Robbie and I need them, LOL. Giving up food or anything you really like for lent keeps me focused on the task at hand. Contemplating and being a better human.

Robbie James

#14    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Wow, you eat nothing but fresh produce for a month? That's quite admirable!!

I also eat meat, but meat as unprocessed as possible. ex: chicken cutlets instead of chicken nuggets.

#15    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,272 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 22 February 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

I also eat meat, but meat as unprocessed as possible. ex: chicken cutlets instead of chicken nuggets.

Still, that's great! I find it amazing sometimes the stuff people give up for lent.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users