Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bullet fired in Mexico hits

thedutchiedutch

A bullet fired during a shootout between police and suspects in northern Mexico this week crossed the border into downtown El Paso and wounded a middle-aged woman walking with a child, raising concerns about spillover violence.

Maria Romero, 48, was pushing a stroller down a sidewalk at about 11 a.m. Tuesday when she was struck in her right calf by a .223-caliber bullet likely fired from more than half a mile away, El Paso police Det. Mike Baranyay told The Times.

At the same time, El Paso officials received calls on the city's 911 line reporting the sound of gunshots near Cesar Chavez Border Highway, which runs along the Rio Grande, Baranyay said.

Romero was treated at University Medical Center of El Paso and released; the child was not hurt in the shooting, Baranyay said. It was not clear whether the two were related, he said.

During an evening news conference at El Paso City Hall on Tuesday, Police Chief Greg Allen said the bullet was believed to be a stray round from a shooting between carjackers and police in the Mexican border city of Juarez. Up to 50 shots were fired during the shooting, officials said.

Link to Full Article and Source

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ColoradoParanormal

• thedutchiedutch

• and-then

• Mikami

It seems to be an indicator of how out of control things are getting. The last thing the Cartels should want is a beefed up military presence on the border...bad for business. So their thugs are either out of control or the Cartels no longer fear an American response.

The border could easily become a war zone for both sides. Mexico will not declare war on the US nor vice versa. But war might be declared on the Cartels.

It seems to be an indicator of how out of control things are getting. The last thing the Cartels should want is a beefed up military presence on the border...bad for business. So their thugs are either out of control or the Cartels no longer fear an American response.

The border could easily become a war zone for both sides. Mexico will not declare war on the US nor vice versa. But war might be declared on the Cartels.

You have hit it on the head! With the politicians we have in office at this moment the cartels no longer fear a response. My team was recently briefed on the threats and insecurities along the border. Something that isn't being reported on enough but should be, is the amount of shootings directly from Mexico into the US. Targeting citizens. This should be considered an act of war. Also, there have been a number of DEA and other Federal Agencies that were involved in raids against the cartel here on American soil that have been targeted and slaughtered.

This isn't a Mexican problem anymore! The blood is being shed on our soil. My commanding officers down to the people below me are all ready to mobilize and start protecting our citizens and take back our country. However, this wont happen with the bureaucrats in office at this moment. On both sides, Democrat and Republican. This issue is going to only get worse without a rapid response. We should be rounding up all known cartel, gang members and any known associates of the cartel and eliminate the issue.

This is why I get so angry when our own citizens cry out for amnesty and to open the borders. What most don't understand is that the cartels use our bleeding heart liberals against us. They exploit this notion that we should give amnesty and stop patrolling our borders. They also use the bleeding hearts campaigning for non-citizens to have the right to vote, and create laws protecting illegals as open channels for their business and way of life. If Mexicans want to come to America, that is perfectly fine! Do it legally and become an American.

This ideology of coming to America illegally, taking advantage of our healthcare, schools, etc etc then asking we change our laws and ways of life to fit how they're used to being in Mexico is insane. Why did you leave? Yet it's ALL to commonplace now.

You have hit it on the head! With the politicians we have in office at this moment the cartels no longer fear a response. My team was recently briefed on the threats and insecurities along the border. Something that isn't being reported on enough but should be, is the amount of shootings directly from Mexico into the US. Targeting citizens. This should be considered an act of war. Also, there have been a number of DEA and other Federal Agencies that were involved in raids against the cartel here on American soil that have been targeted and slaughtered.

This isn't a Mexican problem anymore! The blood is being shed on our soil. My commanding officers down to the people below me are all ready to mobilize and start protecting our citizens and take back our country. However, this wont happen with the bureaucrats in office at this moment. On both sides, Democrat and Republican. This issue is going to only get worse without a rapid response. We should be rounding up all known cartel, gang members and any known associates of the cartel and eliminate the issue.

This is why I get so angry when our own citizens cry out for amnesty and to open the borders. What most don't understand is that the cartels use our bleeding heart liberals against us. They exploit this notion that we should give amnesty and stop patrolling our borders. They also use the bleeding hearts campaigning for non-citizens to have the right to vote, and create laws protecting illegals as open channels for their business and way of life. If Mexicans want to come to America, that is perfectly fine! Do it legally and become an American.

This ideology of coming to America illegally, taking advantage of our healthcare, schools, etc etc then asking we change our laws and ways of life to fit how they're used to being in Mexico is insane. Why did you leave? Yet it's ALL to commonplace now.

I agree with much of what you had to say.... I grew up in El Paso, all of my family still live there including my children.... Scares the crap out of me. Tensions on the border have never been good. Even as a kid I remember mexicans coming over and kidnaping weathly US chldren for ransom. (if they were lucky)

But one thing to be aware of. In our country we say its the cartels, the drug cartels. That is propoganda against what the real issue is going on. By us stating its the drug cartels, we can further demonize drugs in this country to beef up our "war against drugs", and we can wash our hands of the whole affair as it is a civil issue for them. Their problem.

I talked to freind of mine from Juarez Mexico not too long ago, when he was up here visiting a friend. His story was a bit different. He said here in this country we blame the drug cartels, but he when you get closer and really look into who is behind this, you find that these people are doctors, lawyers, politicans, etc... basicly the rich. And what is happening is basically .... hmmmm cant say genocide, maybe more like ethnic cleansing... or basically they are taking out the poor. He went on to mention that these actions are politically motivated and carried out. How is this much different from Iraq? I would not think much different at all, except we went in a liberated those people, and the mexican people we ignore. I cannot do more than speculate why we dont step in and do more for our neighboring country. But those people are in serious danger. My freind went on to tell a story of how these people will recruit young uneducated poor kids off the street, paying them two hundred dollar a head. Anyones head. And if they are lucky enough to get the car in the process.... four hundred dollars. Its sick.

What can I do? Im not military, im an educator. I take this mans message and I pass it on every chance I get. I have since boycotted EVERYTHING made in Mexico and encourage everyone to do the same. You will be amazed at how much stuff actually comes from mexico. And these people who are comming over.... Im not a bleeding heart, but the people who jump the border are usually looking for a better life. Most of them are hard moral workers. Just like us. And they will keep comming. Do they really want to be here? no. And now we are going to start seeing a new type coming over the border... refugees. If we really want to fix our problem here at home, then we really need to take a hard look at the ability of our neighbor to take care of thier own house keeping, not hesitate at all to send in the troops. Mexico in my opinion is a bigger more dangerous threat to the United States than Iraq ever was.

I will gladly step down from my soap box.

This happens once in a while. Stay shots have often come down and injured or killed people. Search "celebratory gunfire" on wikipedia. There are a number of known occurances of people being hit miles away.

I know this was actually from a shootout, but yeah...same concept

I agree with much of what you had to say.... I grew up in El Paso, all of my family still live there including my children.... Scares the crap out of me. Tensions on the border have never been good. Even as a kid I remember mexicans coming over and kidnaping weathly US chldren for ransom. (if they were lucky)

But one thing to be aware of. In our country we say its the cartels, the drug cartels. That is propoganda against what the real issue is going on. By us stating its the drug cartels, we can further demonize drugs in this country to beef up our "war against drugs", and we can wash our hands of the whole affair as it is a civil issue for them. Their problem.

I talked to freind of mine from Juarez Mexico not too long ago, when he was up here visiting a friend. His story was a bit different. He said here in this country we blame the drug cartels, but he when you get closer and really look into who is behind this, you find that these people are doctors, lawyers, politicans, etc... basicly the rich. And what is happening is basically .... hmmmm cant say genocide, maybe more like ethnic cleansing... or basically they are taking out the poor. He went on to mention that these actions are politically motivated and carried out. How is this much different from Iraq? I would not think much different at all, except we went in a liberated those people, and the mexican people we ignore. I cannot do more than speculate why we dont step in and do more for our neighboring country. But those people are in serious danger. My freind went on to tell a story of how these people will recruit young uneducated poor kids off the street, paying them two hundred dollar a head. Anyones head. And if they are lucky enough to get the car in the process.... four hundred dollars. Its sick.

What can I do? Im not military, im an educator. I take this mans message and I pass it on every chance I get. I have since boycotted EVERYTHING made in Mexico and encourage everyone to do the same. You will be amazed at how much stuff actually comes from mexico. And these people who are comming over.... Im not a bleeding heart, but the people who jump the border are usually looking for a better life. Most of them are hard moral workers. Just like us. And they will keep comming. Do they really want to be here? no. And now we are going to start seeing a new type coming over the border... refugees. If we really want to fix our problem here at home, then we really need to take a hard look at the ability of our neighbor to take care of thier own house keeping, not hesitate at all to send in the troops. Mexico in my opinion is a bigger more dangerous threat to the United States than Iraq ever was.

I will gladly step down from my soap box.

You're absolutely correct when you talk about it not being the Cartels but rather the entire "system" if you will down there. I've been briefed on the subject quite recently. Before I left for my last deployment I was actually training a group of Border Patrol agents in Special Operation tactics that was being stationed in El Paso.

Unfortunately you're correct that there is a type of Genocide happening in Mexico and Central America. Unless the Western Powers would go in and completely destroy the Government system from Top down, eradicate ALL known associates of the problematic groups of people and then supply a newly elected Government, Police Force and Military that is highly trained and Guarded by outside security forces too keep the corruption from starting all over again, nothing will change. This is almost impossible and much to costly!

This leaves the US only one viable option. It's time to protect ourselves and keep this from spilling over and also the corruption from being rooted here in the US. (Yes, I know our Govt. is corrupt but, compared to what happening in Mexico they look like saints) Militarize the border. Make it HEAVILY guarded with very strict and precise orders for troops. Shut the Border down.

This would solve only one side of this issue. We then would need legislation that starts to destroy the problems already rooted in our country. This would take time but, it is viable.

What I've never understood is why our Government seems to go out of its way to do things that aren't its job as per the Constitution, but yet doesn't seem interested in doing those things that are implicitly defined in the Constitution.

• 2 weeks later...

Im surprised I havent been shot while hiking near the shooting range down the road from the park...