Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Qur'an burning riots in Afghanistan

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#46    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,332 posts

• ראה

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Put your grunt faces on, and tell me you can see average jarheads singing Kumbaya around that camp fire.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 27 February 2012 - 12:29 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#47    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

View Postand then, on 26 February 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

Two more US officers, a major and a colonel were killed in a "secure" site in Kabul today.  The riots continue.  The soldier(s) who carried out their orders haven't been mentioned again and I hope they've been reassigned out of the country.  IT IS TIME TO GO.  In an orderly manner but it is time to leave this mess with them to sort out.  They've received more than sufficient help to have begun serious change if that is what they wanted.  This behavior shows we've lost ground rather than gained it.

No **** Sherlock,well it wouldn't be the first time the US have made a hash of it and got out when the going got tough.

Edited by shaddow134, 27 February 2012 - 12:48 AM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#48    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 27 February 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

No **** Sherlock,well it wouldn't be the first time the US have made a hash of it and got out when the going got tough.

At least we've tried to make a difference.  If you're insinuating that America has a history of cowardice, you're an idiot.  Ten years of bleeding and paying while trying to help these people build a better life for themselves is hardly an example of leaving when the going gets tough.  Not sure where you're from and don't really care but when you get your wish and the US isn't a superpower anymore you might wonder who'll be on the list to help you out when they come for you.  Chances are it'll be nobody.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#49    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,515 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

View Postand then, on 27 February 2012 - 02:39 AM, said:

At least we've tried to make a difference.  If you're insinuating that America has a history of cowardice, you're an idiot.  Ten years of bleeding and paying while trying to help these people build a better life for themselves is hardly an example of leaving when the going gets tough.  Not sure where you're from and don't really care but when you get your wish and the US isn't a superpower anymore you might wonder who'll be on the list to help you out when they come for you.  Chances are it'll be nobody.

I am in no way  insinuatining  Americans are cowards as i know that to be untrue,but US troops have just undone a lot of good work and given the Mullahs plenty of recruitment to keep them going for Years to come.So yeah pull out and a lot of VERY BRAVE troops have died for nothing.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#50    Cherry-

Cherry-

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• I should have known better..

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:03 AM

How is burning another religious book called error? Hello people ? What did they expect from doing such a disgusting thing? come on people, whos at fault here?

Respect is not given, its earned.

#51    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

View PostCherry-, on 27 February 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

How is burning another religious book called error? Hello people ? What did they expect from doing such a disgusting thing? come on people, whos at fault here?
In the US press we are told that these Qur'ans were used by detainees to send messages by writing in the pages.  For that reason a decision was made to destroy them.  There was no ceremony, no attempt to insult anyone.  They were just destroying books.  In a similar situation if a Bible were being burned, though Christians would be offended, we would not riot and kill human beings over a few pages of paper with ink on them.  Why are there no riots when Muslims explode bombs in mosques and destroy Qur'ans?  It's hypocritical and people in the West are sick of Muslims crying about people "offending" their so called prophet.  Time to move into the 21st century...or at least the 16th or 17th.

#52    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,601 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

View Postand then, on 27 February 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

In the US press we are told that these Qur'ans were used by detainees to send messages by writing in the pages.  For that reason a decision was made to destroy them.  There was no ceremony, no attempt to insult anyone.  They were just destroying books.  In a similar situation if a Bible were being burned, though Christians would be offended, we would not riot and kill human beings over a few pages of paper with ink on them.  Why are there no riots when Muslims explode bombs in mosques and destroy Qur'ans?  It's hypocritical and people in the West are sick of Muslims crying about people "offending" their so called prophet.  Time to move into the 21st century...or at least the 16th or 17th.
What a great reason NOT to destroy them.  If I'm to believe this story, then those books were called Evidence.  Burning them for the reason given is yet another retarded media story someone else will have to believe for me.  

Cherry is right.  War grows many ugly appendages and causes many unexpected consequences.  The reason to avoid it in the first place, if "a lot of brave men will have died for nothing" isn't already.  How many times do the contemporaries in Washington DC need to learn the same lesson the hard way before they can learn it?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#53    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostYamato, on 27 February 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

What a great reason NOT to destroy them.  If I'm to believe this story, then those books were called Evidence.  Burning them for the reason given is yet another retarded media story someone else will have to believe for me.  

Cherry is right.  War grows many ugly appendages and causes many unexpected consequences.  The reason to avoid it in the first place, if "a lot of brave men will have died for nothing" isn't already.  How many times do the contemporaries in Washington DC need to learn the same lesson the hard way before they can learn it?

Without it being their or their children's blood - never.  But occasionally their are just reasons to begin a war.  Afghanistan was one of those.  The fact that their was no clearly defined mission on Bush OR Obama's part is what lead us to this point.  Burning these books isn't something I would have done and frankly,it was stupid.  But the fact remains that a lot of blood and treasure have been spent, a lot of good has been done and a single stupid, inappropriate incident has them ready to lynch as many troops as they can get their hands on.  
Her attitude was ridiculous.  She was incredulous that we couldn't see that of course they should kill because of a damn book being burned.  You seem to be in agreement with her.

#54    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

Day 7
http://www.washingto...uLdR_story.html

The Taliban doing what they do best - killing Afghans.

#55    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

View Postand then, on 23 February 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

IT'S A BOOK!  Paper and ink.

Yes  like the bible  it is only  a book, paper and ink..... That's how I see all holy books..

I agree  that these muslims are pushing to the extreme over book burning..   But  how would you  react  if you saw a bunch of people stand and burn your bible? You may not want to kill or destroy.. But you would be upset right?  Angry even?   I am saying this because I have noticed  yourself and others  think that even if someone questions your faith  it is like an attack  or ambush... OS I can just imagine how you all would react if people were burning bibles.. eh? ...<--.. I think that is a fair statement to make..It called looking at it from the other side of the fence

But I still think that these Muslims wanting to bring death to America over a book burning  that is absolutely  disgraceful

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#56    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 23 February 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

Such a shame that it was the U.S. that trained them during the Afgan Soviet war. That madness you speak of is of a radical outlook to radicals bleeping with them.  The cia trained and gave them the ability to fight the soviets. Now we pay the price. *snip* look at the cause and effect.

There holy book is just a book, burning one is is not the issue.

Um the Afghan Soviet war happened in 1988 which means the soldiers would be heading into their 40s and 50s right now.  Why do people mention this all the time. "We trained them" as if it's this A team task force that's immortal and can live forever.  Strange.

You could burn all the Bible's you wanted.  Wouldn't phase me at all.   The Light of the Word will never been burned away.  Burning a Bible is something that most Christians I know would think is futile and childish.  As if burning the Bible has any sort of impact on anything.  There are billions of Bibles.  We'll just go get another one.

:yes:

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#57    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,601 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Postand then, on 27 February 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

[/b]
Without it being their or their children's blood - never.  But occasionally their are just reasons to begin a war.  Afghanistan was one of those.  The fact that their was no clearly defined mission on Bush OR Obama's part is what lead us to this point.  Burning these books isn't something I would have done and frankly,it was stupid.  But the fact remains that a lot of blood and treasure have been spent, a lot of good has been done and a single stupid, inappropriate incident has them ready to lynch as many troops as they can get their hands on.  
Her attitude was ridiculous.  She was incredulous that we couldn't see that of course they should kill because of a damn book being burned.  You seem to be in agreement with her.
I think they're the people we're at war in Afghanistan with, and then.  I'm not so sure lynching is the right word.  If they needed extra motivation to fight this would have done it.  Did we really not know that burning the Qu'ran would cause this ahead of time?  You're reading more into Cherry's comments than I saw myself.  If you're right, then no I don't agree with her sentiments, but logically yes, how could we expect anything else but?   Especially in a war of occupation.  

It's a shame Jacob Isom wasn't there, right?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#58    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,601 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostCassea, on 27 February 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Um the Afghan Soviet war happened in 1988 which means the soldiers would be heading into their 40s and 50s right now.  Why do people mention this all the time. "We trained them" as if it's this A team task force that's immortal and can live forever.  Strange.

You could burn all the Bible's you wanted.  Wouldn't phase me at all.   The Light of the Word will never been burned away.  Burning a Bible is something that most Christians I know would think is futile and childish.  As if burning the Bible has any sort of impact on anything.  There are billions of Bibles.  We'll just go get another one.

:yes:
The commanders in Afghanistan right now are the same men who fought as 20-year olds against the Soviets.  And have you seen Stallone's biceps lately?  

#59    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 27 February 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Yes  like the bible  it is only  a book, paper and ink..... That's how I see all holy books..

I agree  that these muslims are pushing to the extreme over book burning..   But  how would you  react  if you saw a bunch of people stand and burn your bible? You may not want to kill or destroy.. But you would be upset right?  Angry even?   I am saying this because I have noticed  yourself and others  think that even if someone questions your faith  it is like an attack  or ambush... OS I can just imagine how you all would react if people were burning bibles.. eh? ...<--.. I think that is a fair statement to make..It called looking at it from the other side of the fence

But I still think that these Muslims wanting to bring death to America over a book burning  that is absolutely  disgraceful
I've made my feelings clear over the issue of Bible burning.  I would be angry and sad for the ones who did it.  But NEVER would it cross my mind to harm someone physically for such an offense.  You seem to think otherwise, which is your right.  And on the occasion I have mentioned an ambush it's because that's what  it was.  If you can look at the general discourse that happens between Christians and others here at UM and not see them roundly being either condescended to or insulted then nothing I say will make a difference to you.  I am quite very able to have empathy for others.  What these Muslims do is inexcusable. Period.

#60    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostYamato, on 27 February 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I think they're the people we're at war in Afghanistan with, and then.  I'm not so sure lynching is the right word.  If they needed extra motivation to fight this would have done it.  Did we really not know that burning the Qu'ran would cause this ahead of time? You're reading more into Cherry's comments than I saw myself.  If you're right, then no I don't agree with her sentiments, but logically yes, how could we expect anything else but?   Especially in a war of occupation.  

It's a shame Jacob Isom wasn't there, right?

Yes it was extremely stupid to burn the books.  The story seems to be evolving from burning them to "destroy coded communication" to "they got placed in an incinerator pile by accident".
You can bet the ****e will definitely flow downhill on that one.  Someone's head will be served up on a platter and probably should be.  But only within the discipline of our military establishment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users