Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Town set to ban smoking anywhere outside

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,696 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

A town in California is proposing to ban smoking outside, even for residents lighting up on their own property.

Smoking is already banned indoors in public places in most of the country, and in California it is illegal to smoke in parks and playgrounds too.

The town of Rocklin, near Sacramento, could take the draconian regulations further by extending them to private property as well.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,385 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

I lost my mom to lung cancer due to her choice to smoke cigarettes.  It was an awful experience that I'd not wish even on an enemy.  But this is ridiculous.  If the smoke from cigarettes is so toxic then ban the substance.  But that will never happen because of the tax revenue that would be lost.  So vilify the smokers who pay the taxes and while we're at it lets set a precedent in law that might come back and take a big juicy bite out of all of us later regarding property use rights.  Picking off strays is not a great approach to public policy.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I can understand banning it everywhere apart from peoples own property. Their land, their choice.

#4    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,679 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

This is ludicrous!

As a smoker, no one is going to stop me from smoking outside.

As much as I dislike the ban of smoking in restaurants and diners, I deal with it.

I can respect other people don't want smoke blowing in their face when they eat.

But at the same time I am pissed I cannot smoke a cigarette and discuss things with my buds beat generation-style.

Nonetheless, who the hell is it going to "harm" if the wind is carrying the smoke away?

WHO!?

I always try to be respectful: but these people are ****ing morons.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#5    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,425 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

If banning smoking cigs happened in Canada then our universal healthcare would completely fall apart because of the lost revenue.  Those who just read that statement and disagree need to know that smokers are not the burden of the taxpayer here.  Smokers tend to live less years and pay more into the system than non-smokers who live longer and are the drain on the healthcare system.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#6    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

View Postacidhead, on 28 February 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

If banning smoking cigs happened in Canada then our universal healthcare would completely fall apart because of the lost revenue.  Those who just read that statement and disagree need to know that smokers are not the burden of the taxpayer here.  Smokers tend to live less years and pay more into the system than non-smokers who live longer and are the drain on the healthcare system.
Yes, I agree, smokers die young and aren't on govt age pensions near as long. Smoking is an anxiety/nervous tension disorder and why this isn't the focus of quit campaigns I don't know.

#7    Volatile32

Volatile32

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

How did I know this was happening in California? I just read the headline and thought California. Why do they come up with these great things? I wonder if they have thought of the cost of enforcing this? What is a law that can't be enforced? Nothing.

#8    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,162 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostHabitat, on 28 February 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

Yes, I agree, smokers die young and aren't on govt age pensions near as long. Smoking is an anxiety/nervous tension disorder and why this isn't the focus of quit campaigns I don't know.

That's what I've always wondered. Why isn't there more help for those who want to quit? I've unsuccessfully tried to quite so many times I've lost count! At this point I've given up. I'd love some good options for quitting, but honestly they don't exist. It's said that a ciggarette addition is as hard or harder to get over than a heroin addiction. You'd think with a statistic like that, there'd be more help for smokers.

As far as banning smoking outside, on your own property, that's ludicrist. The vast majority of smokers I know these days do smoke outside because they don't want to pollute the inside of their house endangering pets, partners or god forbid kids. The city in the OP has lost its ever lovin' mind. If they're that hung up on smoking, maybe they should draw up a city ordinance that says no cigs can be sold inside the city limits. Whole counties ban alcohol, why not ban cigs in a city. Technically they could do that. Not that it would keep people from smoking, it wouldn't, but I"m sure it would make the city law makers feel nice and smug with themselves.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

They have no right to ban people from smoking out in their own yards...  It is absolutely ridiculous

And to say that all smokers die young is a false statement to make... I know many smokers  of an old age who have smoked all their lives.. .My grandfather lived until his late 80's and he smokes like a train...He is not the only one

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#10    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Smoking is not just an axiety/tension disorder. It is a physical addiction. I know. I've tried to quit before and it does strange things to you. I could fall asleep anywhere. You wouldn't believe how much I slept. And I know a lot of people who have smoked and live to a very old age and people that don't smoke and die of lung cancer at a young age. This is just another law to increase revenue for the state. It's ridiculous.

#11    Clyde the Glyde

Clyde the Glyde

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

We let this happen.  It's our own fault.

First we pass laws prohibiting smoking in stores.
Then we pass laws prohibiting smoking in restaurants.
Then we pass laws prohibiting smoking in bars.

Then we act surprised when it comes to this.

We allowed it to happen. A little bit at a time.

#12    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,728 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

lol, looks like this one was a jump the gun by the media...

Rocklin News

The town is NOT planning on any such ordinance...

#13    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,066 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

View Postclyde barrow, on 28 February 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

We let this happen.  It's our own fault.

First we pass laws prohibiting smoking in stores.
Then we pass laws prohibiting smoking in restaurants.
Then we pass laws prohibiting smoking in bars.

Then we act surprised when it comes to this.

We allowed it to happen. A little bit at a time.
So true! ^^
Most of these laws are passed by local county legislature.
How do they get passed? Huge federal grants are awarded to Tobacco Control programs on local levels. In order to continue receiving these grants from year to year some sort of progress must be proven. How can you prove that grant money is useful to local anti-smoking agencies? Pass stupid laws like this one.
Once again this all comes down to the almighty buck.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#14    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 28 February 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

They have no right to ban people from smoking out in their own yards...  It is absolutely ridiculous

And to say that all smokers die young is a false statement to make... I know many smokers  of an old age who have smoked all their lives.. .My grandfather lived until his late 80's and he smokes like a train...He is not the only one
I don't think anyone says ALL smokers die young, and sure, there are some old smokers, but actuarial studies are very clear, on average a life-long smoker is knocking at least ten years off their lifespan. I have seen so many people die in their 60's
from it, and often not peacefully.

#15    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,271 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

Even if it passes, I can see this being ruled constitutional at a later date.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users