Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Town set to ban smoking anywhere outside

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,053 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostHabitat, on 29 February 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

I don't think anyone says ALL smokers die young, and sure, there are some old smokers, but actuarial studies are very clear, on average a life-long smoker is knocking at least ten years off their lifespan. I have seen so many people die in their 60's
from it, and often not peacefully.

Here's some interesting inight... and I"m not saying that smoking isn't detrimental to your health, it most certainly is... however, I think the "numbers" are somewhat skewed. I have three grandparents who were all HEAVY smokers, we're taking the chain smoking no filter 3 pack a day smokers. One died at age 56... of a heart attack, his cholesterol was through the ROOF due to all that bacon, buttermilk and really fatty foods he always ate. I'm sure the smoking contributed. His death certificate reads "death due to smoking complications" only. My other two grandparents died in their mid-90s. Their death certificates also read "Death due to smoking complications" ... technically my grandfather died of skin cancer. My grandmother died of congestive heart failure... but she was 96!!!!  So ya, three grandparents, all officially dead of smoking complications... yet really none of them died of that!

Edited by MissMelsWell, 29 February 2012 - 01:27 AM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#17    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,935 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 29 February 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

Here's some interesting inight... and I"m not saying that smoking isn't detrimental to your health, it most certainly is... however, I think the "numbers" are somewhat skewed. I have three grandparents who were all HEAVY smokers, we're taking the chain smoking no filter 3 pack a day smokers. One died at age 56... of a heart attack, his cholesterol was through the ROOF due to all that bacon, buttermilk and really fatty foods he always ate. I'm sure the smoking contributed. His death certificate reads "death due to smoking complications" only. My other two grandparents died in their mid-90s. Their death certificates also read "Death due to smoking complications" ... technically my grandfather died of skin cancer. My grandmother died of congestive heart failure... but she was 96!!!!  So ya, three grandparents, all officially dead of smoking complications... yet really none of them died of that!
Did they all live in the same county? Sounds like the Chief Medical Examiner might be a bit biased against smokers.

My father was a smoker for years and he was diabetic as well. He quit smoking one month before he died. His death certificate read 'complications due to diabetes mellitus. When my friends tell me to quit smoking I tell them "Hell no, my father quit and look what happened to him."  :D

I really would like to quit though. I do notice that if I go all day without a cigarette I feel great. The minute I light one up after I get out of work I'm like blaaaaahhhhhzay. I would have to quit drinking at the same time though because when I've tried to quit smoking in the past and put a beer in my left hand, a cigarette would just magically appear in my right hand.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#18    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,053 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 29 February 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Did they all live in the same county? Sounds like the Chief Medical Examiner might be a bit biased against smokers.

My father was a smoker for years and he was diabetic as well. He quit smoking one month before he died. His death certificate read 'complications due to diabetes mellitus. When my friends tell me to quit smoking I tell them "Hell no, my father quit and look what happened to him."  :D

I really would like to quit though. I do notice that if I go all day without a cigarette I feel great. The minute I light one up after I get out of work I'm like blaaaaahhhhhzay. I would have to quit drinking at the same time though because when I've tried to quit smoking in the past and put a beer in my left hand, a cigarette would just magically appear in my right hand.

They didn't live in the same county, but did live in the same state; which is Washington known for it's beautiful rainy scenery, healthy organic living, and a recycling fetish never seen before anywhere else.
I have no idea why their death certificates all said complications due to smoking. Two were very very old, the third had some seriously bad central Mississippi (where he was from) eating habits. I can only think it was done to boost the statistics.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#19    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,935 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 29 February 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

I can only think it was done to boost the statistics.
No doubt.
Mislabeling a cause of death makes me wonder if there are any coroner reports like this:

Skateboard wheel hit a cigarette butt on the pavement throwing the rider onto the pavement head first, killing him instantly.
Cause of death: "Complications due to smoking".

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#20    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

You can't believe any of those numbers. I believe what I see and experience.

#21    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 2,786 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I agree smoking is bad for one, but I believe the medical is blaming to much on the smoking for all the causes of deaths, if you ever smoked they`ll say well its all the cause of your health problems,and the second hand smoke is the problem for everyone`s else health problems:) There are many other ways to get lung cansers from the chemicals in just about everything.Like you I know many that didn`t smoke and and died from the lung cansers .I don`t know about anyone else, but I am tried of going to the ER and the Docs offices with family members,  that will go on for hours lecturing about the dangers of smoking( like what in the hell was that all about!) then see some stepped out and light up a smoke :)  They say there are  three top ways most will died, heart disease, canser or car accidents.Now they are say obesity might save you from a car accident:) go figure:):)

#22    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 4,566 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

My grandfather who smoked heavily, died when he was 104 (although he had alzheimers and didn't really know much of anything for the last 10 years)... At his graveside, my grandmother (98) looked down and said smugly "I told him those damn cigars would kill him!"

My grandmother was not exactly the sweet, kind old lady that bakes cookies...

#23    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

They are taking away the rights of smokers, forcing a lifestyle on them that they do not choose. California is pretty dense when it comes to understanding people.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#24    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,814 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 05 February 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

They are taking away the rights of smokers, forcing a lifestyle on them that they do not choose. California is pretty dense when it comes to understanding people.
It's a nanny state in microcosm and when it fails economically in a few months years the rest of the taxpayers of the US are going to have to foot the bills for their craziness.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#25    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,143 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ok, I said it last year when this thread came out and I will say it again.... The town was NOT considering a smoking ban. Apparently FOX news broke the story incorrectly about the ban being considered.

#26    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,478 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postrashore, on 05 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Ok, I said it last year when this thread came out and I will say it again.... The town was NOT considering a smoking ban. Apparently FOX news broke the story incorrectly about the ban being considered.

Are we surprised?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#27    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,058 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostTaun, on 05 February 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

My grandfather who smoked heavily, died when he was 104 (although he had alzheimers and didn't really know much of anything for the last 10 years)... At his graveside, my grandmother (98) looked down and said smugly "I told him those damn cigars would kill him!"

My grandmother was not exactly the sweet, kind old lady that bakes cookies...

Snuffed out in the prime of his life!

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#28    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostTaun, on 05 February 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

My grandfather who smoked heavily, died when he was 104

He smoked heavily and died at the old age of 104, that is amazing...It goes to show you, that our bodies can react differently to such things as smoking.. In some says it can slowly kill us, and we not make it pat 65 - 70  In other ways we can out live others even if we smoked..  There are people who never smoke, but can't make it to 85 - 90 let alone 104  It boils down to our bodies and how they react..  My grandfather smoked like a train and drank like a fish, and the old fart lived until he was nearly 90...What annoyed me was his wife ( my grandmother ) died 10 years before him and she never smoked nor did she drink.

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 05 February 2013 - 08:14 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#29    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 4,377 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

my grand grand ma died at 99, and smoked all her life as well, she died of cancer, but her mind was as if she was 30, she remembered every detail from any point of her life.

there is one but, however, those ppl lived in different world, no toxic pills, no ge food, no fast food crap, no flouride water, no pollution, were physycly active all their lives.  their bodies were stronger than ours. i doubt anyone who was born in 1960s and latter can compare themselves to ppl of that time.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#30    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,058 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 05 February 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

He smoked heavily and died at the old age of 104, that is amazing...It goes to show you, that our bodies can react differently to such things as smoking.. In some says it can slowly kill us, and we not make it pat 65 - 70  In other ways we can out live others even if we smoked..  There are people who never smoke, but can't make it to 85 - 90 let alone 104  It boils down to our bodies and how they react.. My grandfather smoked like a train and drank like a fish, and the old fart lived until he was nearly 90...What annoyed me was his wife ( my grandmother ) died 10 years before him and she never smoked nor did she drink.

My Grandpa did the same and lived to 84...   he actually smoked fish for awhile, .. but they were too hard to keep lit.

* this is the sort of stuff that makes me hafta smoke once in awhile!   OOP ..  based on a Fox foopa.    Well that makes me wanna smoke too! lol

Edited by lightly, 05 February 2013 - 08:50 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users