Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Fossils show huge penguin once roamed N.Z.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,970 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

uk.news.yahoo.com said:

Fossilised remains of one of the largest penguins ever, an "elegant" giant standing 1.3 metres (52 inches) tall, have been found in New Zealand, scientists said Tuesday.The penguin lived 27-24 million years ago, when New Zealand was mostly underwater and consisted of isolated, rocky outcrops that offered protection from predators and plentiful food supplies, researchers said.The first traces of the penguin, dubbed Kairuku -- Maori for diver who returns with food -- were found embedded in a cliff at Waimate in the South Island by University of Otago paleontologist professor Ewen Fordyce in 1977.Posted Image Read more...

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Jester Harlot

Jester Harlot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."
    ALBERT EINSTEIN

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I was depressed to see there was no picture of the actual fossil. Good story, though!

"You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the Grim Reaper"
-Robert Alton Harris
"They spoil every romance by trying to make it last forever."
- Oscar Wilde.

#3    I Am Not Resisting

I Am Not Resisting

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• "Security Forces wives don't have to be told not to resist."

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

That is one big penguin.  :geek:

-Don't judge me.
-Did you just say "Don't touch me"?  We're in public!

#4    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

It must have been amazing to see flocks of huge penguins flying around!

A bit like this....

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,296 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

View PostMistress of Shadows, on 28 February 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I was depressed to see there was no picture of the actual fossil. Good story, though!

Same here.  I imagined a huge, Danny DeVito-like fossil but no joy.  Really good find though.

#6    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,888 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

They are only marginally bigger than todays Emperor Penguin which stands at 122 cm (or 48 inches). This fellow just leaned over him at 130cm (or 52 inches).

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#7    BrandOfAmber

BrandOfAmber

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• Life is the lust of the lamp for the light that is dark till the dawn of the day that we die...

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'd just like to point out that a creature such as described here shows many of the criteria believed to be necessary to achieve 'Secondary Intelligence' as a species...

Some background, 'Primary Intelligence' is defined as the basic brainpower required for survival.  All species on Earth display primary intelligence.  'Secondary Intelligence' on the other hand, shows cognitive reasoning skills, and advanced conceptual abilities.  A creature with Secondary Intelligence could perform a thought experiment, and could design a tool.

Many species on Earth today exhibit secondary intelligence, for example some (non-human) primate species use sticks as tools to 'fish' for ants within trees.  

Usually for Secondary Intelligence to be achieved within a species, I've noticed (this is just my personal criteria here...) the following characteristics are either present, or most of them are present in the species:
1) Upright Walking (enabling the development of a larger brain)
2) Binocular Vision (enabling 3D visual perception)
3) Manipulatable Digits (humans have fingers, octopi have arms, etc.)
4) Sufficient Body Mass to support a Large Brain
5) Carnivorous Tendencies (which encourage a 'hunter' mentality, which many scientists believe develops higher brain function for a time during species development)

Not sure on whether or not penguins have binocular vision... (eyes in the front or eyes on the side...) It would seem that side vision would serve them well underwater...

But other than that, the data (in my view) suggests a species here with Secondary Intelligence, now extinct on our Earth.  We could have communicated with a creature like that, had it survived.  In fact, with 24 million years on us, this Bird could have taught us some things...

-Brand

#8    Spectre1979

Spectre1979

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

cool! But yes only slightly bigger than an Emperor.

#9    ozifred

ozifred

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

Penguins don't fly acute alan. Sorry. It would nice though. Imagine a flock of penguins and pigs flying together. Magnificent

#10    ozifred

ozifred

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Penguins don't fly acute alan. Sorry. It would nice though. Imagine a flock of penguins and pigs flying together. Magnificent

#11    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

that's one very big penguin

#12    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,104 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostBrandOfAmber, on 29 February 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

I'd just like to point out that a creature such as described here shows many of the criteria believed to be necessary to achieve 'Secondary Intelligence' as a species...

Some background, 'Primary Intelligence' is defined as the basic brainpower required for survival.  All species on Earth display primary intelligence.  'Secondary Intelligence' on the other hand, shows cognitive reasoning skills, and advanced conceptual abilities.  A creature with Secondary Intelligence could perform a thought experiment, and could design a tool.

Many species on Earth today exhibit secondary intelligence, for example some (non-human) primate species use sticks as tools to 'fish' for ants within trees.  

Usually for Secondary Intelligence to be achieved within a species, I've noticed (this is just my personal criteria here...) the following characteristics are either present, or most of them are present in the species:
1) Upright Walking (enabling the development of a larger brain)
2) Binocular Vision (enabling 3D visual perception)
3) Manipulatable Digits (humans have fingers, octopi have arms, etc.)
4) Sufficient Body Mass to support a Large Brain
5) Carnivorous Tendencies (which encourage a 'hunter' mentality, which many scientists believe develops higher brain function for a time during species development)

Not sure on whether or not penguins have binocular vision... (eyes in the front or eyes on the side...) It would seem that side vision would serve them well underwater...

But other than that, the data (in my view) suggests a species here with Secondary Intelligence, now extinct on our Earth.  We could have communicated with a creature like that, had it survived.  In fact, with 24 million years on us, this Bird could have taught us some things...

-Brand

Hi Brand.

You might be interested in the study on corvid intelligence: there are biologists who put their intelligence inbetween humans and apes.

And about point -1- : upright walking? What about dolphins, killer whales and whales in general? Their brains are equal in size to ours.

Point -5- Carnivorous Tendencies. Personally I think it's opportunists that have more possibilities. Think about this: no prey to hunt, what do you do? You eat roots, eggs, fruit, herbs. What do you do when you are a strict carnivore and your prey had left the area you live in? You starve.

#13    Cherry-

Cherry-

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

• I should have known better..

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

imagine all the extinct animals are still around..

#14    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

View Postozifred, on 01 March 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

Depends how hard I throw them, and what you would consider flying...  :w00t:

As for the video, it's pretty sad how gullible people can be (although I don't think acute alan was posting this seriously).

And as for the OP - I don't think 'huge' is the correct word  :(

Posted Image

#15    UniqueWolf

UniqueWolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

• If I offend you, I'm so sorry. I'm either just stating my opinion or just trying to make people laugh. I'm sure your awesome (:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

It would be awesome to have that big of a panguin... Unless it eats people...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users