Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The final resting place of Jesus found?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 02 March 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Just because one individual made the name "Jesus" prominent, that doesn't mean that the name Jesus never existed prior to that. For example, I never once heard of the name "Adele" before I heard of the singer, however, apparently it's a not-so-uncommon name. Just because a certain individual made the name globally acknowledged (supposedly), that doesn't indicate, under any circumstances, that the name of Jesus never existed prior. Where did Jesus get his name from?

Check this out!

English form of Ιησους (Iesous), which was the Greek form of the Aramaic name יֵשׁוּעַ (Yeshu'a). Yeshu'a is itself a contracted form of Yehoshu'a (see JOSHUA).

Jesus comes from the greek version of the aramaic shortening of Joshua...so was his name actually more like "Josh" than "Jesus" ?

Also interesting, I looked up "Joshua" via the link
From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) meaning "YAHWEH is salvation".

(by the way this info is from this source)

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#77    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 8,918 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 02 March 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Just because one individual made the name "Jesus" prominent, that doesn't mean that the name Jesus never existed prior to that. For example, I never once heard of the name "Adele" before I heard of the singer, however, apparently it's a not-so-uncommon name. Just because a certain individual made the name globally acknowledged (supposedly), that doesn't indicate, under any circumstances, that the name of Jesus never existed prior. Where did Jesus get his name from?
Based on an examination of the names on ossuaries dated to the same time period - roughly 9% of the Jewish population at the time were named Jesus.

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#78    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,290 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

View Posteight bits, on 02 March 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Obviously, I bear no particular responsibility for any of this. What Chloe recalled was my discussing this passage, which I surely have done in the past. The noun phrase pneuma body is just an obvious shorthand for the longer description quoted above, for ease of reference in a fluent discussion, formed from words which appear there. Any difficulties you might have with Paul's description are best taken up with Paul, not me.

Hi eight bits,

Thanks for the explanation, you provided. I have no difficulties with Pauls wording, I was merely going by the term "Pneuma Body". Thank you again for clarifying.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#79    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

• ~"Blessed are we who laugh at ourselves for we never cease to be amused!"~

~"The best way to make our dreams come true is to wake up!~"-Paul Valery

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

View PostMossman, on 29 February 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Considering the name Jehovah didn't come into use until about 1,100 as a Romanized version of Y_HW_H, I'm not buying it.

Bravo! Thank you!  :tu:

SINcerely,
:devil:

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#80    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 01 March 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

I don't believe, because I don't see any reason to. There's as much evidence to suggest the existence of the biblical portrayal of Jesus as there is to suggest the existence of fire breathing dragons. What I know is that it is physically impossible for one to simply heal others by using the sense of touch... It is physically impossible to simply rise from the dead, and go to live in the clouds.

*SNIP*

Never underestimate the power of a good hug. ;)

SINcerely,

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#81    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

View PostMedicTJ, on 02 March 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Ah....I gotta respond to this.  There wouldn't be a "Hey Zeus" if it weren't for Jesus.  You've got your history wrong.  Yes, there are MANY Latinos with that name.  Do you honestly think they thought up that name separate from the historical figure?  Just because it's pronounced different from English doesn't mean that isn't where they got the name from.

Unless you want to explain where they got the names for Jose (Joseph) Miguel (Michael) Tomas (Thomas) .......  I can add a few more if you wish.

I hate to break this to you, but there would still be the name Jesus without the eccentric man who came and said he was the "Messiah" Jesus. Apparently you are not familiar with Jeshua, or Jesus Ben Sira. ;)
Y/Jeshuah is Hebrew/Aramic. Oh and there is also in the bible the character Jesus Justus. Do you mean to say all these names came after Jesus the son of Mary? Because I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

SINcerely,

Edited by Dying Seraph, 03 March 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#82    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,441 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostJor-el, on 29 February 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Sorry Judasim 101 actually teaches us that they did.

Belief in the eventual resurrection of the dead is a fundamental belief of traditional Judaism. It was a belief that distinguished the Pharisees (intellectual ancestors of Rabbinical Judaism) from the Sadducees. The Sadducees rejected the concept, because it is not explicitly mentioned in the Torah. The Pharisees found the concept implied in certain verses.

Belief in resurrection of the dead is one of Rambam's 13 Principles of Faith. The second blessing of the Shemoneh Esrei prayer, which is recited three times daily, contains several references to resurrection. (Note: the Reform movement, which apparently rejects this belief, has rewritten the second blessing accordingly).

The resurrection of the dead will occur in the messianic age, a time referred to in Hebrew as the Olam Ha-Ba, the World to Come, but that term is also used to refer to the spiritual afterlife. When the messiah comes to initiate the perfect world of peace and prosperity, the righteous dead will be brought back to life and given the opportunity to experience the perfected world that their righteousness helped to create. The wicked dead will not be resurrected.

http://www.jewfaq.org/olamhaba.htm

Yes at the end of the age, there was not belief in a resurrection before that time.  Jesus rising from the dead is something new, was not part of Jewish belief.  Everyone was surprised when the event happened.  Thomas would not believe unless he touched Jesus's hands and side, and he did, and believed.

peace
mark

#83    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• Credendo Vides, Seeing is Believing

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Can a second link be posted, the one the OP posted is invalid now

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#84    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostBorisIWantToKnow, on 07 May 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

Can a second link be posted, the one the OP posted is invalid now
Try http://www.dailymail...ting-place.html
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2128195/Jesus-discovery-Does-1st-Century-coffin-lid-Jerusalem-reveal-Jesus-resting-place.html>

#85    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,290 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 07 May 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

Yes at the end of the age, there was not belief in a resurrection before that time.  Jesus rising from the dead is something new, was not part of Jewish belief.  Everyone was surprised when the event happened.  Thomas would not believe unless he touched Jesus's hands and side, and he did, and believed.

peace
mark

That is incorrect.

There are clear references in the Old Testament to a bodily resurrection:

Job 19:25-27

25 I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.

26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;

27 I myself will see him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yeans within me!

Job is traditionally the oldest book of the bible, yet it is evident even there.

Isaiah 26:19

But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.

Daniel 12:2

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

We also have an interesting archaeological find called the Gabriel stone or alternatively, Gabriel's Revelation, that references  resurrection as well.

Posted Image

What they didn't believe was that a man who claimed to be the Messiah would use the resurrection to confirm his Messianic claim.

Edited by Jor-el, 07 May 2012 - 08:14 PM.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#86    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 2,945 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 28 February 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

Another link: http://www.dailymail...ting-place.html
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2128195/Jesus-discovery-Does-1st-Century-coffin-lid-Jerusalem-reveal-Jesus-resting-place.html>

I would believe it, all the names of Jesus`s family were there except for simon and his box could be found yet. Jesus sisters names were never mention in the bible and they would  most likey be buried with their husbands

Edited by docyabut2, 10 May 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#87    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,106 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

And this is the kind of thread I miss the presence of our member SeanPh who passed a year or so ago; this was his favorite topic and he aways had so much great insight. Miss him and his comments.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#88    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,290 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 10 May 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

And this is the kind of thread I miss the presence of our member SeanPh who passed a year or so ago; this was his favorite topic and he aways had so much great insight. Miss him and his comments.

He continues with us, as long as we remember him.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#89    Redranger

Redranger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• Knowledge in the universe = 100,000,000
    Collective human knowledge = 4

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

The Savior was the first person on this earth to be resurrected. The New Testament contains several accounts testifying that He rose from the tomb (see Matthew 28:1-8; Mark 16:1-14; Luke 24:1-48; John 20:1-29; 1 Corinthians 15:1-8; 2 Peter 1:16-17).
When the resurrected Lord appeared to His Apostles, He helped them understand that He had a body of flesh and bones. He said, “Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have” (Luke 24:39).

History is never proved, only supposed. No matter how much evidence you collect, you're always guessing about cause-and-effect, and assuming things about dead peoples motives. Since even living people don't understand their own motives, we're hardly likely to do any better with the dead.
Keep testing your guesses against the evidence. Keep trying out new guesses to see if they fit better. Keep looking for new evidence even if it disproves your old hypotheses. With each step you get just a little closer to that elusive thing called "the truth." With each step you see how much farther away the truth is than you ever imagined it to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users