Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How did Egyptians light inside of pyramids?

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#1    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,819 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hi,

So I saw an episode of Ancient Aliens and the wacky dude on that said that the Egyptians had some sort of light bulbs to light the inside of the tunnels. I dont know if they did or not but I figured they proably used fire instead.

Would that mean that the little tunnel/holes that face the sky are just air vents to help cycle the air so the candles or fire torches did not go out and smoke did not build up?

I except that the little tunnel/holes may have had a dual purpose.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#2    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

View Postbulveye, on 03 March 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Hi,

So I saw an episode of Ancient Aliens and the wacky dude on that said that the Egyptians had some sort of light bulbs to light the inside of the tunnels. I dont know if they did or not but I figured they proably used fire instead.

Would that mean that the little tunnel/holes that face the sky are just air vents to help cycle the air so the candles or fire torches did not go out and smoke did not build up?

I think (I haven't seen the program) they meant this:

http://www.unexplain...9

Edited by Abramelin, 03 March 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#3    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,537 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hi,

Which wacky dude? You'll have to narrow it down. I can't think of anyone on that program that ought to be taken seriously. But I suspect you mean this guy, who is indeed wackier than the average wack-job.

No, of course the ancient Egyptians didn't use light bulbs. They had no concept of electricity as we understand it. Abramelin's link to the Dendera "lightbulb" topic is what the wacky dude (Giorgio Tsoukalos) is drawing from. It is utter rubbish.

What we have ample evidence for from all periods of pharaonic history is oil lamps. Countless examples have been found in excavations from all over the Nile Valley in the past couple of hundred years. You can see actual examples of them in most any museum with a sizable Egyptian exhibit. It's unlikely the "air shafts" inside the Great Pyramid had anything to do with torches or lamps because these shafts are more or less unique to the Great Pyramid. It's more than possible they had nothing to do with air at all, and our appellation of "air shaft" is just a misnomer formed from anachronism. Just think of the royal tombs of the New Kingdom in the Valley of the Kings, many of which sink deep underground for hundreds of yards in networks of corridors and chambers. No shafts in those.

What the average fringe adherent like Giorgio Tsoukalos will typically say in response to oil lamps is something to the effect of: "Well, why aren't the insides of all those corridors and passages covered with soot, if torches or lamps were used?" It seems disingenuous when logic is applied, considering it required no great feat of science just to wipe off any soot as it accumulated. Wacky dudes like Tsoukalos will have you completely ignore ample evidence of existing technologies (oil lamps) and instead concentrate on one wall inside a temple which shows something that kinda-sorta looks like a light bulb. As long as you ignore the context of the image. And the hieroglyphic inscriptions explaining it. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#4    blackdogsun

blackdogsun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 04 March 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

think of the royal tombs of the New Kingdom in the Valley of the Kings, many of which sink deep underground for hundreds of yards in networks of corridors and chambers. No shafts in those.

i think that might be the key difference, the fact that the king's chamber is in an elevated situation in relation to it's entrance (unlike the tombs in the valley of the kings) that from a practical point of view it needed the air shafts to dispel 'bad air' (which generally rises) while work proceeded and then the funeral arrangements could take place, which may or may not have included the burning of oils and/or herbs (?)
their inclined angle up through the pyramid would be to draw the air upward like a chimney rather than a two way flow
and their north/south orientation perhaps serving a secondary ceremonial purpose either to the gods Nut (sky) or Shu (wind)

#5    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

According to Erich von Däniken its with electric light bulbs :/

#6    SteveBronfman

SteveBronfman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

Everyone knows of the famous Baghdad battery. Making electric cells using (citric and other) acid isn't really very hard and has been used for thousands of years eg to plate jewellery. The fact that no smoke residue is present inside the Pyramids lead us to the question of how the inside was lit if not by torches or lamps.

Mirrors have been suggested but I personally do think lightbulbs aren't really that hard to make. We know the ancients had glass and metal working skills. The ancient Egyptians knew how to blow glass;

http://www.historyof.../ancient-glass/

Making a "crude" light bulb is the next step. We have to remember that our ancestors had as much capacity for thought as we do, I think more so in some ways, because the current attitude relies on our discoveries to base theories upon. We are constantly discovering new ancient civilisations and constantly pushing the date back for both civilisation and modern man because of new discoveries. It's one thing to rely on evidence to make theories but it's another to rule out possibilities because of lack of evidence. Some evidence simply hasn't been discovered by us yet.

#7    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

• Nothing is worse than active ignorance. - Goethe

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:40 AM

They used geysers...isn't it obvious?

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone to just sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. -Margaret Thatcher

#8    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,537 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

View Postsocrates.junior, on 07 March 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

They used geysers...isn't it obvious?

Glow-in-the-dark geysers?

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#9    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Perhaps they squashed a bunch of lightening bugs and made large lamps from them?!!

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#10    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,972 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

View Postblackdogsun, on 04 March 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

i think that might be the key difference, the fact that the king's chamber is in an elevated situation in relation to it's entrance (unlike the tombs in the valley of the kings) that from a practical point of view it needed the air shafts to dispel 'bad air' (which generally rises) while work proceeded and then the funeral arrangements could take place, which may or may not have included the burning of oils and/or herbs (?)
their inclined angle up through the pyramid would be to draw the air upward like a chimney rather than a two way flow
and their north/south orientation perhaps serving a secondary ceremonial purpose either to the gods Nut (sky) or Shu (wind)
Since the "air passages" weren't open to the outside, I find this unlikely.

Also, "bad air" would be far more prevalent in underground tombs than in raised ones.

CO2, CO are both heavier than air.  So is smoke.

View PostSteveBronfman, on 07 March 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Everyone knows of the famous Baghdad battery. Making electric cells using (citric and other) acid isn't really very hard and has been used for thousands of years eg to plate jewellery. The fact that no smoke residue is present inside the Pyramids lead us to the question of how the inside was lit if not by torches or lamps.

Mirrors have been suggested but I personally do think lightbulbs aren't really that hard to make. We know the ancients had glass and metal working skills. The ancient Egyptians knew how to blow glass;

http://www.historyof.../ancient-glass/
From your own link:

Decorative glass was very difficult to produce and was quite rare. In ancient time glass was made from sand quartz and the ancients were using some very complex chemistry to both create and color the glass. They simply whetted beads, figures or bottles of any shape since they couldn't blow spherical forms.

Perhaps I can suggest you read your own sources?

View PostSteveBronfman, on 07 March 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Making a "crude" light bulb is the next step. We have to remember that our ancestors had as much capacity for thought as we do, I think more so in some ways, because the current attitude relies on our discoveries to base theories upon. We are constantly discovering new ancient civilisations and constantly pushing the date back for both civilisation and modern man because of new discoveries. It's one thing to rely on evidence to make theories but it's another to rule out possibilities because of lack of evidence. Some evidence simply hasn't been discovered by us yet.
It is certainly reasonable to not consider "possibilities" that we know aren't actually possible.

Of course, they used oil lamps to light their work.  We have hundreds of examples from all over the time period covering Ancient Egypt.

If everyone used oil lamps, where are the light bulbs (which they couldn't make)?

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#11    Gaden

Gaden

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

• simple but not simple minded

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

The AE knew that a pinch of salt reduces the creation of suet. As for the "air shafts" in the GP, they are plugged, so no air could have been moved by them. Additionally, I think that people are misled into thinking that air and light were neede during construction, but this is rediculous, because as you are building, you are actually outside in the open. This, of course, only applies to pyramids, tunnels are a completely different matter, but the use of oil lamps is well documented, it is even known that they used them to time their shifts.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, I just can't get my head that far up my butt

#12    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

• Nothing is worse than active ignorance. - Goethe

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 07 March 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Glow-in-the-dark geysers?

Of course. They obviously had some sort of knowledge of radioactivity, since the pyramids are giant nuclear reactors.

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone to just sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. -Margaret Thatcher

#13    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,537 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

View Postsocrates.junior, on 07 March 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Of course. They obviously had some sort of knowledge of radioactivity, since the pyramids are giant nuclear reactors.

Man, I thought the pyramids were gigantic water pumps. Or landing beacons for alien spacecraft. Which "theory" are we supposed to go with?

How about: the pyramids were gigantic pumps for generating radioactive water, which fueled alien spacecraft. :alien:

Is someone going to take me seriously? Should I not be writing this stuff, encouraging fringies?

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 07 March 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Man, I thought the pyramids were gigantic water pumps. Or landing beacons for alien spacecraft. Which "theory" are we supposed to go with?

How about: the pyramids were gigantic pumps for generating radioactive water, which fueled alien spacecraft. :alien:

Is someone going to take me seriously? Should I not be writing this stuff, encouraging fringies?

Thats simple: the pyramids are akin to a egg laying woolen milk giving pig. The answer to everything!:devil:

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    blackdogsun

blackdogsun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

my understanding is that only the 'queens chamber' shafts were plugged and also walled over
the 'king's chamber' shafts were completely open to the outside (though whether the casing stones sealed them off we may never know)

Edited by blackdogsun, 08 March 2012 - 12:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users