Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How did Egyptians light inside of pyramids?

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#31    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

the way he is carriying out his arguments, falling back on his  "Egyptologist"  uncle for backup, makes me wonder this "Egyptologist" uncle is a make believe construct, just to provide some credibility to the absurd claims he is making.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by The_Spartan, 27 March 2012 - 09:58 AM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#32    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostArbitran, on 27 March 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

In any case, there is no evidence that fire was used. No torches (or torch brackets; or whatever an ancient Egyptian equivalent might have been), and no evidence of soot, excess heat, or anything even remotely indicative of long-term exposure to flame (smoke-less or not). There is simply no tangible evidence that fire was used to light the interior of the Great Pyramids--unless you propose they had access to a sort of "heatless, smoke-less, contained light". Oh... in other words, a sort of light bulb?

The Ancient Egyptian Wick hieroglyph is Gardiner sign listed no. V28 for the wick of a lamp.

The wick hieroglyph is used in the Ancient Egyptian language hieroglyphs for the alphabetic consonant letter h

http://en.wikipedia....ck_(hieroglyph)

And even now it is possible to make lamps that burn nearly smokeless, dependent on the oil and wick used.

++++++

EDIT:

"Many visitors to the monuments express surprise that the painting could have been carried out in the darkness of the tombs and in the dim light of the temples. The Egyptian lamp was of the simplest type, merely a wick floating in oil. It is not infrequently represented in the scenes in the tombs, where it usually takes the form of an open receptacle mounted on a tall foot which, in the smaller examples, can be grasped in the hand. In the pictures, there arise from the receptacle what we may assume to be wicks or flames, always curved over the top as if blown by a current of air. Stand lamps in limestone have been found in the pyramid of El-Lahun, and representations of them in stone in the 'Labrinth' at Hawara. In Egyptian houses, small dishes were also used as lamps. They usually have their rims pinched into a spout ... The absence of smoke-blackening in the tombs of the kings is also no difficult explanation. If olive-oil is used, there is very little smoke, and a suitable covering over the lamp, for which various methods readily suggest themselves, would very easily prevent carbon being deposited on the ceiling."

Ancient Egyptian Masonry, Clarke, Somers & Engelbach, Reginald; London 1930, P. 201

Edited by Abramelin, 27 March 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#33    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostArbitran, on 27 March 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

I used to think that the Egyptians used fire too. That was before my Egyptologist uncle explained that there isn't any smoke/soot residue on the ceilings inside the Great Pyramids--so no decent amount of flame was lit inside for any decent amount of time.
Pyramids are open to the sky above while they are under construction, so why would they need torches again?

A few small oil lamps are all that's needed when interring the king.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#34    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostSteveBronfman, on 07 March 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Everyone knows of the famous Baghdad battery. Making electric cells using (citric and other) acid isn't really very hard and has been used for thousands of years eg to plate jewellery. The fact that no smoke residue is present inside the Pyramids lead us to the question of how the inside was lit if not by torches or lamps.

Mirrors have been suggested but I personally do think lightbulbs aren't really that hard to make. We know the ancients had glass and metal working skills. The ancient Egyptians knew how to blow glass;

http://www.historyof.../ancient-glass/

Making a "crude" light bulb is the next step. We have to remember that our ancestors had as much capacity for thought as we do, I think more so in some ways, because the current attitude relies on our discoveries to base theories upon. We are constantly discovering new ancient civilisations and constantly pushing the date back for both civilisation and modern man because of new discoveries. It's one thing to rely on evidence to make theories but it's another to rule out possibilities because of lack of evidence. Some evidence simply hasn't been discovered by us yet.

Really !!!!

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#35    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,297 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

In any case, there is no evidence that fire was used. No torches (or torch brackets; or whatever an ancient Egyptian equivalent might have been), and no evidence of soot, excess heat, or anything even remotely indicative of long-term exposure to flame (smoke-less or not). There is simply no tangible evidence that fire was used to light the interior of the Great Pyramids--unless you propose they had access to a sort of "heatless, smoke-less, contained light". Oh... in other words, a sort of light bulb?

There is simply no evidence for electricity and I would even discount torches, given the tight confines of the working space and the hazards torches would present to fellow workmen. I commented on this back in Post 3, but that was a couple of pages back so it bears repeating. From all periods of ancient Egypt archaeologists have recovered ample numbers of small clay oil lamps. These would admit sufficient light but little smoke, especially with the addition of a pinch of salt to the oil base. As for soot, some amount probably did accumulate. Obviously all the workmen had to do was wipe it off.

View PostArbitran, on 27 March 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

Could you please provide citations of the aforementioned "notes from the Egyptians themselves", which you allege "definitively" shows protocols in regards to wicks and oil quantity? My uncle and I would be most intrigued to read them.

DieChecker is correct. I'm at work and don't have access to my library for citations, but what DieChecker wrote about is widely known. The textual evidence specifically comes from Deir el Medina, the village south of the Valley of the Kings where the workmen who built the royal tombs were housed and equipped. It's a fairly well preserved site that was occupied for almost 500 years. Archaeologists have excavated a number of midden heaps and trash pits, and from these they have recovered an enormous amount of writing--on papyrus, on ostraca, and the like. This one site probably has more writing and records than any other pharaonic village ever excavated. The records include careful inventories of all tools and supplies, oil included (all of this was expensive stuff to maintain, and it was owned by the state and distributed to the workmen by state-employed scribes and foremen). The records are detailed to the point that we know workmen who worked deep inside the royal tombs were issued an oil lamp with one wick for the first part of the day: the wick would last approximately four hours, after which came a lunch break, and after that a new wick was issued that would last another four hours, after which the work day was done.

Deir el Medina is one of the most famous archaeological sites in all of Egypt. Its textual records alone make it very well known. Your uncle should be familiar with the site.

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#36    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 27 March 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

From all periods of ancient Egypt archaeologists have recovered ample numbers of small clay oil lamps. These would admit sufficient light but little smoke, especially with the addition of a pinch of salt to the oil base.

Of course, the Egyptians couldn't have known about this added salt trick. They were too stupid.

The aliens must've told them!

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#37    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,837 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostArbitran, on 27 March 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

Could you please provide citations of the aforementioned "notes from the Egyptians themselves", which you allege "definitively" shows protocols in regards to wicks and oil quantity? My uncle and I would be most intrigued to read them.
You are saying that the Egyptians used electric light bulbs and you want me to proove to you that Egyptians used OIL LAMPS!!!

I believe what I quoted said... "And even from the region where artificial light was most necessary we have notes from the Egyptians themselves: The many 100 m long tombs in the Valley of the Kings were definitively lighted with oil lamps and wicks, since we have protocols about wicks and lamps handed out to the workers each day from the Valley of the Kings - where it was carefully documented how many wicks of what length, and how much oil was given to each worker - there is no mystery at all how these tombs were illuminated. There is no place for pharaonic flash lights.[ 5 ]"

Which is referenced (See the [5]?), as "Brunner-Traut, Emma; Alltag unter Pharaonen, Herder 1998, P. 245". It's in German so good luck. I'm not an Egyptologist, so I could not say what protocols are written about the Valley of the Kings and where they are written. Even if I could, you'd poo-poo them as being about carved tombs, not built up pyramids. I do know that many sites have lots of the beurecractic facts written right there on the stone wall of the tomb.

The fact is that there HAS been soot found in almost every Egyptian monument/tomb, and that they HAVE found thousands of oil lamps, and no electric glass lamps. If you don't see soot today, it is due to restoration work.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#38    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,699 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 27 March 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

You are saying that the Egyptians used electric light bulbs and you want me to proove to you that Egyptians used OIL LAMPS!!!

I believe what I quoted said... "And even from the region where artificial light was most necessary we have notes from the Egyptians themselves: The many 100 m long tombs in the Valley of the Kings were definitively lighted with oil lamps and wicks, since we have protocols about wicks and lamps handed out to the workers each day from the Valley of the Kings - where it was carefully documented how many wicks of what length, and how much oil was given to each worker - there is no mystery at all how these tombs were illuminated. There is no place for pharaonic flash lights.[ 5 ]"

Which is referenced (See the [5]?), as "Brunner-Traut, Emma; Alltag unter Pharaonen, Herder 1998, P. 245". It's in German so good luck. I'm not an Egyptologist, so I could not say what protocols are written about the Valley of the Kings and where they are written. Even if I could, you'd poo-poo them as being about carved tombs, not built up pyramids. I do know that many sites have lots of the beurecractic facts written right there on the stone wall of the tomb.

The fact is that there HAS been soot found in almost every Egyptian monument/tomb, and that they HAVE found thousands of oil lamps, and no electric glass lamps. If you don't see soot today, it is due to restoration work.

OK,I am one up on you... here is a picture of  Egyptian oil lamps:

Posted Image

Now, could somebody of the fringe please show me a picture of a Egyptian light bulb?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#39    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,837 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 27 March 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

OK,I am one up on you... here is a picture of  Egyptian oil lamps:

Posted Image

Now, could somebody of the fringe please show me a picture of a Egyptian light bulb?
Wait Questionmark!! Do you have a signed note from a 4th century BC pharoah guaranteeing where these came from and who used them and if they are actually oil lamps and not urinals. I don't see any smoke soot on them.... :wacko:

Teasing!!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#40    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Here, this is a quote from my former post:

"The absence of smoke-blackening in the tombs of the kings is also no difficult explanation. If olive-oil is used, there is very little smoke, and a suitable covering over the lamp, for which various methods readily suggest themselves, would very easily prevent carbon being deposited on the ceiling."

#41    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Maybe they had flashlight apps on their cell phones...

#42    Gaden

Gaden

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

• simple but not simple minded

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostSteveBronfman, on 07 March 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Everyone knows of the famous Baghdad battery. Making electric cells using (citric and other) acid isn't really very hard and has been used for thousands of years eg to plate jewellery. The fact that no smoke residue is present inside the Pyramids lead us to the question of how the inside was lit if not by torches or lamps.

Mirrors have been suggested but I personally do think lightbulbs aren't really that hard to make. We know the ancients had glass and metal working skills. The ancient Egyptians knew how to blow glass;

http://www.historyof.../ancient-glass/

Making a "crude" light bulb is the next step. We have to remember that our ancestors had as much capacity for thought as we do, I think more so in some ways, because the current attitude relies on our discoveries to base theories upon. We are constantly discovering new ancient civilisations and constantly pushing the date back for both civilisation and modern man because of new discoveries. It's one thing to rely on evidence to make theories but it's another to rule out possibilities because of lack of evidence. Some evidence simply hasn't been discovered by us yet.

From your own link; Decorative glass was very difficult to produce and was quite rare. In ancient time glass was made from sand quartz and the ancients were using some very complex chemistry to both create and color the glass. They simply whetted beads, figures or bottles of any shape since they couldn't blow spherical forms.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, I just can't get my head that far up my butt

#43    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,502 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Even less evidence of light bulbs.   In fact ZERO.   Heat from lamps would not leave any telling evidence after time goes by.  
Heck, maybe they banned all forms of light and you could only enter in darkness.

#44    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,699 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostMyles, on 27 March 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Even less evidence of light bulbs.   In fact ZERO.   Heat from lamps would not leave any telling evidence after time goes by.  
Heck, maybe they banned all forms of light and you could only enter in darkness.

nah... they kept hitting between their eyes and saw with the flashes that generated :devil:

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#45    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 27 March 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

Arbitran...you really need to be a little more open-minded in your approach.

Do I?

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users