Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

which the most powerful empire in History in

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#106    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Or this
http://en.wikipedia....mance_languages
and this
http://en.wikipedia....andarin_Chinese

and finally

http://en.wikipedia....native_speakers

Edited by Melo, 14 March 2012 - 06:31 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#107    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,735 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

For me

1st place to the Roman Empire
2nd place to the Mongol Empire
3rd Place to British Empire
4th Place to the Han Dynasty/Empire.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#108    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Another candidate?

The Inca Empire measured more than 4,000 km from end to end. Superimposed on a map of modern South America, it would begin on Colombia's southern frontier, stretch southward along the coast and highlands of Ecuador and Peru, sprawl across highland Bolivia into northwestern Argentina, and reach down into central Chile to just below Santiago. This vast territory was probably the largest ever formed anywhere based on a “Bronze Age” level of technology.

http://www.nap.edu/o..._id=1398&page=2

#109    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,614 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 14 March 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

The US is the most powerful country at the moment but its far from being a great nation.

The British Empire is why English is the most spoken language, you ignore our role in the internet, we invented televisions and computers, the Italians invented pizza and Ford learnt how to mass produce cars but he didnt invent them.

The US has only been powerful for 60-70 years and hasnt redefined civilization like the British, Romans, Greeks, Spanish, Persians and others have. You'll need to stay top for a few centuries to do that but you've only got another 10 years left at most.
While I don't agree with the US being the most impressive empire, I think you underestimate its contributions.  The US has easily invented the most used items in the world.   Much of it is because of the size and population of the country.  If you have 10 guys working on something, there is a better chance of them solving a problem than if you have 1 person working on it.  Leading the technology of most space travel and advancements cannot be over-looked either.  Oh and you had the US only being powerful for the last 60-70 years (that's 1952).   Take a history class.   It was many years before that when people from other countries were giving up everything for a chance at being a US citizen.

#110    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,614 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 14 March 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Another candidate?

The Inca Empire measured more than 4,000 km from end to end. Superimposed on a map of modern South America, it would begin on Colombia's southern frontier, stretch southward along the coast and highlands of Ecuador and Peru, sprawl across highland Bolivia into northwestern Argentina, and reach down into central Chile to just below Santiago. This vast territory was probably the largest ever formed anywhere based on a “Bronze Age” level of technology.

Excellent choice.
But how much evidence is there of other cultures or "empires" being taken over?   Not that other cultures need to beh taken in order to be calles an empire.

#111    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 14 March 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

4th Place to the Han Dynasty/Empire.

Why people consider that Han dynasty is in fact Han empire.
Its China empire for me. I never understand that. I talked with several historians.
No one have same answer. For me there is no Song empire. Tang empire. Ming empire. Qing empire.
Its China.
Why dont we called British empire Victoria dynasty, Roman empire Augustus dynasty, Roman empire Hadrian dynasty, Mongol empire Temujin dynasty....
Cina existed from Qin to Qing with 22 dynasties in a raw.  
Whats difference between Ming and Song. Only in dynasty name. People, religion, territory,customs, history, traditions is same. Everything that same-same empire.
So far I only found few historian that think same as I. One is Ferdinand Braudel. When you ask living historians there is different opinions.
Few of them say that when historians mentioned dynasties they mentioned in the term that we already know about what period of CHINA we taliking about.
But most of them in the end agree okay it is China all the time. Maybe some say okay Qing were not Han they were Manchu or Yuan dynasty was Mongol dynasty but that still is very debatefull and most of them will again agree that we are talking about China.
From 221 BC to 1911 AD. Imagine.

Edited by Melo, 14 March 2012 - 08:33 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#112    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Then in my list of top 10 you will find Han empire, Tang empire ( for sure) , Song empire, Ming empire....Then at least of top ten must be four Chinese. During Tang dyansty their capital wa largest city in the world. One of my fav statue Giant Budha was built.  During Han paper was invented , seismeter and so on. During three kingdoms Zhuge Liang . During Song compass was invented. Su Song and Shen Kuo lived.Movable type printing by Bi Sheng. Ming and Zheng He. ...

Edited by Melo, 14 March 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#113    liteness

liteness

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 05 March 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

The Americans have never won an external war without the help of Britain.

As any British officer will tell you they simply dont have a clue. They think its all about technology and having the biggest weapons but as vietnam and Afganistan show you it isnt.

When they started torturing Iraqi POWs I thought they'd realised what it was all about but no. Britain, the Romans and Mongols were quite ruthless if you read up on what they were like. The US doesnt have the stomach for that kind of conflict.

I'd have to agree in a way.
Though, the British Empire is still around, and still strong. They're just more sneaky.
Also, I'd like to state the British Empire, the Queen and all of their following elites(including the USA tool of the B Empire) are evil b******* against humanity. And though credit is due for their obviously cunning and stunning feat, I still say they have to go, now. Or humanity is done.

#114    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 14 March 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Another candidate?

My candidates chronologicaly would be :

Old kingdom of Egypt-Khufu Imhotep Djoser...
New kingdom of Egypt
Lydia- Just because of Miletus and their scientific thoughts.
Assyrian empire-Ashurbanipal, Nineveh library...and because they ruled them all
Neo-Babylonian Empire Nabopolassar,Nabuchadnezzar
Chartage and Hannibal
-The Achaemenid Empire -Cyrus,Darius, Xerxes
Gupta-Kalidasa "Shakespeare of India" ,plays and poetry, Aryabhata ,Varahamihira
Frankish empire -Charlemagne,Charles the Hammer ,Battle of Poitiers vs Umayyad Caliphate, Pepin the short,(they were great)
Pala empire-something about them is romantic. Pala=protector
Khmer empire-Angkor Wat  
The Ayyubids- Saladin
Delhi Sultanate -Razia Sultana
Portuguese Viceroyalty of India-Vasco da Gama
Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth -Jan III Sobieski
The Maratha Empire
The Russian Empire -Peter and Mikhail Kutuzov, the man who dont need introduction.
Austro-Hungarian Empire
German Empire -Otto von Bismarck  and one thing this is from wiki: During its 47 years of existence, the German Empire operated as an industrial, technological and scientific giant, receiving more Nobel Prizes in science than Britain, France, Russia and the United States combined.

But they all are not into top 5/6 no matter what.

And ofcourse Shogunate. :tu:

Edited by Melo, 14 March 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#115    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Not 'promoting' the achievements of the Incas, but what you posted is peanuts compared to what the Incas achieved in just a couple of centuries.

A goddamn empire stretching out for 4000 kilometers.

And they are just now discovering how much their empire stretched out into Amazonian/jungle territory.

But they won't find those great megalithic Incan structures in the Amazon basin because they could only use clay.

I think we are in for a great surprize.

Edited by Abramelin, 14 March 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#116    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 14 March 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Not 'promoting' the achievements of the Incas, but what you posted is peanuts compared to what the Incas achieved in just a couple of centuries.

A goddamn empire stretching out for 4000 kilometers.

And they are just now discovering how much their empire stretched out into Amazonian/jungle territory.

But they won't find those great megalithic Incan structures in the Amazon basin because they could only use clay.

I think we are in for a great surprize.

Nothing wrong to promote good things. I love Inkas. They are just behind Euroasian and north Africa civs.
Just for record Chinese under Qin dynasties were constructing wall of china and they have teracotta army centuries before. Before Christ.

Edited by Melo, 14 March 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#117    AzTide

AzTide

In The Witness Protection Program

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

• Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 04 March 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

For ancient world I usually go with the Mongol Empire as the "Most Powerful". And Rome would be "Most Influential to the future".

The militarily most powerful empire ever would have to be the Soviet Union. They had as many as 45000 nuclear warheads in the 1980's.

US is the overall most powerful would have the be the USA. It still is the leader in nuclear capability and military prjection worldwide, as well as top politically and fincanically. Not that we are better, just that we have more influence in more places and more financial pull in more places then anyone else.

Great points just left off the Byzantine Empire..

“He who controls the present controls the past”  George Orwell

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."  Thomas Jefferson

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

#118    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostAzTide, on 14 March 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Great points just left off the Byzantine Empire..
Byzantine= Rome :yes:
Rome lived untill 1453.

Edited by Melo, 14 March 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#119    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,800 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostMelo, on 14 March 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Byzantine= Rome :yes:
Rome lived untill 1453.
At that time it was just a city state and it would have made the rest of Italy look bad if they just went in and crushed them

#120    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,800 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostMyles, on 14 March 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Excellent choice.
But how much evidence is there of other cultures or "empires" being taken over?   Not that other cultures need to beh taken in order to be calles an empire.
Well, same deal with the Aztecs, they conquered surrounding tribes and received tribute from them. There were countless different tribes and nations in central to south America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users