Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

A Wolf, in Toronto?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    TravelerZero

TravelerZero

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

Hey, this sighting is not quite paranormal, but still quite strange. I'll start with what I believe to be an encounter with a wolf. The sighting occured in the North York region, on the cusp of the more "urban centre" of the city. There is an small ecosystem that thrives in the various connected ravines that are scattered throughout Toronto. Many of these are wooded parkland, fairly dense. Anyway, I live in an apartment complex that has around 30 acres of parkland surrounding it. I have seen deer in the area on a couple of occasions, at one point about four of them together. A walk into the forest reveals frequent deer tracks and trails.

So one night I am walking through the back exit of the building, a 5 minute walk on a road with wooded parkland on either side. I caught movement in my perifery. I see a large four legged figure about 2 or 3 car lengths away with its head down in some foliage. It was shadowy due to the sparsely placed street lights. First reaction was something like "wow, small deer, pretty close to the road, awesome". I know for a fact I was talking to myself in a half whisper, which probably caused it to look up. When it raised it head, I just remember the size of its neck; this thick hairy neck and large "dog" like head. Like a husky type. And then we froze staring for a moment and I thought "holy s**t, that not a freakin deer". I kept walking and I guess it didn't follow.

I would be more inclined to say it was a large stray dog, as supposed to a coyote. My cousin had an "Akita" when I was a kid, this thing was bigger. Long thin-ish legs, quite hairy, and big enough that I mistook it for a deer while its head was lowered...I am about 6'4 and I am not used to seeing dogs that size, even large breeds. I've heard wolves are big, but that was a real shock.

Any thoughts? I will be investigating the area abit more, will post other developments.

#2    Marks_Thoughts

Marks_Thoughts

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

I would be one of the first to believe you. I've encountered some very wild creatures in the strangest places, but upon reflection it is not all that strange.  A documentary I saw once had Arctic wolves eating dozens of mice and voles, literally jumping from spot to spot to grab a quick mouthful.  The rodents were hugely plentiful and there was little, if any, risk to the wolves - as opposed to running down caribou.  

Of course, wolves or half-breed dog and wolf mixes living wild in the city makes it really hard on the 'domestic' cats and smaller breeds of dogs.

#3    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

I've experienced deer in the most suburban of areas, and heard of packs of wild turkeys appearing in the same type of place. Of course those would be a lot less of a spook if you suddenly come face to face with them in the least likely of places.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#4    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Wolves are following the food source and if those parks offert a study source of food they will relocate.  Later they can create problems if the pack grows to large and more people will see them.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#5    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Why assume it was/is a wolf purely down to its perceived size?

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#6    TravelerZero

TravelerZero

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

View PostOppono Astos, on 06 March 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Why assume it was/is a wolf purely down to its perceived size?

It was more than the size. I've seen documentaries and shows on wolves. It looked like a wolf, or wolf like. I did say I have concidered the possibility of a stray dog, but the build and snout shape does not match any domestic canine of that size that I have ever heard of. The size of the neck was also quite unnerving, I read that wolves have thicker, and slightly longer, necks than most canines. Its head was massive. I told my mother about it, she said she saw a wolf like animal run accross an intersection nearby in broad daylight. She described it as being so swift it didn't even look like it was touching the ground, and very large. It crossed a four lane street in two bounds. This occured about a 15 min walk from another protected area.

This is a good example size and shape wise, don't forget that I initially mistook its shape for that of a deer.
http://www.skinnymoo.../#ixzz1kodzKsNa

Lastly, I forgot to mention that I found a paw print beside a river nearby. Bout a 25 min walk from the sighting. It was about four inches wide, discovered away from human trails (was following what looked like a deer trail). It looked wolf like.

I will be investigating further, I am hoping for some photo evidence of a paw print.

#7    TravelerZero

TravelerZero

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostMarks_Thoughts, on 06 March 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

I would be one of the first to believe you. I've encountered some very wild creatures in the strangest places, but upon reflection it is not all that strange.  A documentary I saw once had Arctic wolves eating dozens of mice and voles, literally jumping from spot to spot to grab a quick mouthful.  The rodents were hugely plentiful and there was little, if any, risk to the wolves - as opposed to running down caribou.  

Of course, wolves or half-breed dog and wolf mixes living wild in the city makes it really hard on the 'domestic' cats and smaller breeds of dogs.

I have concidered this as well. I speculate that there are very few predators in the area, other than coyotes and maybe foxes. Game is plentiful, and ambush is made easier since animals must follow the river to migrate between wooded patches of parkland. The suburbs are quite close to the patches; you never completely lose sight of the houses that back onto the parkland, yet there is enough for even some bigger game to survive. This seems a plausible senario for a lone wolf. I couldn't imagine a pack of more than two or three going completely unnoticed. Urbanization throughout the province throughs many ecosystems out of wack, which may open the way for strange circumstances.

#8    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostTravelerZero, on 06 March 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Hey, this sighting is not quite paranormal, but still quite strange. I'll start with what I believe to be an encounter with a wolf. The sighting occured in the North York region, on the cusp of the more "urban centre" of the city. There is an small ecosystem that thrives in the various connected ravines that are scattered throughout Toronto. Many of these are wooded parkland, fairly dense. Anyway, I live in an apartment complex that has around 30 acres of parkland surrounding it. I have seen deer in the area on a couple of occasions, at one point about four of them together. A walk into the forest reveals frequent deer tracks and trails.

So one night I am walking through the back exit of the building, a 5 minute walk on a road with wooded parkland on either side. I caught movement in my perifery. I see a large four legged figure about 2 or 3 car lengths away with its head down in some foliage. It was shadowy due to the sparsely placed street lights. First reaction was something like "wow, small deer, pretty close to the road, awesome". I know for a fact I was talking to myself in a half whisper, which probably caused it to look up. When it raised it head, I just remember the size of its neck; this thick hairy neck and large "dog" like head. Like a husky type. And then we froze staring for a moment and I thought "holy s**t, that not a freakin deer". I kept walking and I guess it didn't follow.

I would be more inclined to say it was a large stray dog, as supposed to a coyote. My cousin had an "Akita" when I was a kid, this thing was bigger. Long thin-ish legs, quite hairy, and big enough that I mistook it for a deer while its head was lowered...I am about 6'4 and I am not used to seeing dogs that size, even large breeds. I've heard wolves are big, but that was a real shock.

Any thoughts? I will be investigating the area abit more, will post other developments.
Thanks for sharing. It's another classic case. A male.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#9    magnoliaReverie

magnoliaReverie

Poltergeist

• 2,933 posts

• In the end, we'll all become stories.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Reading this reminded me of an article I read a few years ago about "Coywolves", a Coyote/Wolf hybrid showing up places in southern Ontario. I found it online, here.

Do you think it's possible this was what you saw?  I've seen Coyotes a few years back around here too, but no wolves..

Posted Image

#10    TravelerZero

TravelerZero

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

View Posttailormaneinafog, on 08 March 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Thanks for sharing. It's another classic case. A male.

Thanks for the input, but I'm not quite clear, do you think it was a wolf or a hybrid? In either case, could you elaborate on your hypothesis? It would be much appreciated.

#11    TravelerZero

TravelerZero

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

View Postsarah_444, on 08 March 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Reading this reminded me of an article I read a few years ago about "Coywolves", a Coyote/Wolf hybrid showing up places in southern Ontario. I found it online, here.

Do you think it's possible this was what you saw?  I've seen Coyotes a few years back around here too, but no wolves..

Posted Image

Yeah, I'm starting to lean toward a Coywolf. Did somemore research on behavior and it seems that, unlike coyotes, wolves just don't mesh well with civilization. I know this much though; it was not a coyote. This thing was easily bigger than a german sheppard. It was tall enough that (with its head down) I thought "deer" until it looked up.

Granted, my mind was probably trying to make things fit my expectations (that tall and on four legs = deer), hence my recollection will inflate its size (due to shock). Yet that fact, that it was large enough for me to jump to such an assumption, speaks volumes to me. Definatley bigger than a husky or german sheppard, else my first impression would have been "its a dog".

#12    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostTravelerZero, on 09 March 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

Thanks for the input, but I'm not quite clear, do you think it was a wolf or a hybrid? In either case, could you elaborate on your hypothesis? It would be much appreciated.
Yes, sure, but you're going to find it hard to accept at face value to begin with at least. They are the same thing as the Michigan Dogman and the Dartmoor beast. Recent evidence from Extreme Expeditions to investigate the Sumatran Orang Pendek shows that the cryptids are in fact *giant hyrax* that mimmick other animals in order to stay aloof and undetected. Check out the Feb 4th entry. It's a long story, but that's the nub of it. Thanks for the extra info on crossing the road. Very familiar story.

P.S. They leave three toed prints, or four on the front.

Edited by tailormaneinafog, 09 March 2012 - 12:30 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#13    TravelerZero

TravelerZero

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

View Posttailormaneinafog, on 09 March 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Yes, sure, but you're going to find it hard to accept at face value to begin with at least. They are the same thing as the Michigan Dogman and the Dartmoor beast. Recent evidence from Extreme Expeditions to investigate the Sumatran Orang Pendek shows that the cryptids are in fact *giant hyrax* that mimmick other animals in order to stay aloof and undetected. Check out the Feb 4th entry. It's a long story, but that's the nub of it. Thanks for the extra info on crossing the road. Very familiar story.

P.S. They leave three toed prints, or four on the front.

Im not disbelieving out of principle, but from what Ive seen this beast has been described as looking bear like, and the hyrax does not look wolf like. Whatever it was, it was distinctly canine. I checked out your facebook though, looks like some good "myth" hunting! (myth in the sense of "the unknown", not "the made up", as with the silverback gorrilla if memory serves).

#14    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

obviously it was a werewolf in it's wolf form

#15    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

Could have been a large spitz breed of dog, they are bred to look like wolves.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users