Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Dyatlov Pass incident

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. It happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат Сяхл) (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov (Игорь Дятлов). The lack of eyewitnesses has inspired much speculation. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident.[1] The chronology of the incident remains unclear due to the lack of survivors.[2][3]

Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot into heavy snow and a temperature of −30C. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue.[1] Their clothing, when tested, was found to be highly radioactive.[1]

source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

vid:

hhmmmmm

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,178 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Al ready been posted, i post a link in a minute

Dyatlov

Edited by Erix, 06 March 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#3    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostErix, on 06 March 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Al ready been posted, i post a link in a minute

Dyatlov

well spotted, apologies, mods can merge

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

I've never heard this one before.Very interesting

Miss me?

#5    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,404 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

UFO hunters did a show on it I think ?

This is a Work in Progress!

#6    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 07 March 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

UFO hunters did a show on it I think ?

To be fair neither had I heard about it, and those bodies looked pretty gruesome. Youd have to be pretty damned scared and pumped to rip through a tent and run 'barefooted' in snow that cold.  When you think that in the wilderness of snow and ice the most likely thing you 'may' encounter will be a polar bear or snow fox...  you wouldnt expect much else would you?

But bears and foxes aren't very radioactive I expect..

One thing not mentioned in the vid, they also found a note saying

"from now on we know there are snowmen"

Edited by bouncer, 07 March 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#7    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

When i first heard about this, a couple of years ago, i was also struck by the whole story. But now i tend to think that there is not much more to it than it was a group of hikers that got struck by an avalanche...Undressing, as well as confusion/hallucinations for example are relatively common symptoms on people suffering from hypothermia. The victims were found weeks after the incidents, so their bodies laid exposed to the sunlight all the time, that would explain their tan, and the missing tongue probably was taken by a scavenging animal....they tend to go for the soft parts first. I don't know about the radioactivity though, but stuff like that could have been added on the whole story later, to make it more creepy....

#8    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,983 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 07 March 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

When i first heard about this, a couple of years ago, i was also struck by the whole story. But now i tend to think that there is not much more to it than it was a group of hikers that got struck by an avalanche...Undressing, as well as confusion/hallucinations for example are relatively common symptoms on people suffering from hypothermia. The victims were found weeks after the incidents, so their bodies laid exposed to the sunlight all the time, that would explain their tan, and the missing tongue probably was taken by a scavenging animal....they tend to go for the soft parts first. I don't know about the radioactivity though, but stuff like that could have been added on the whole story later, to make it more creepy....

just a few points.

If an avalanche caused the injuries then:
- bodies would all be clothed still
- footprints would not be visible but covered by snow.
- why would teh tent be ripped from inside.

as for the 'tans'....four of the bodies were under 4 ft snow...not in sunlight

The missing tongue..scavangers...maybe...but why just a tongue? also what caused the other injuries? if an avalanche then the bodies would all be buried along with footprints, this would also make it harder for scavangers to get to 'tongues' or other body parts.

it is a strange incident.

#9    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 07 March 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

well tis a possibility I expect. Im not so sure about the sunshine angle as the vid shows them being dug from snow, so that could have preserved their frozen features.

But surely an avalanche or the path/debris of one would have been recognized? I mean the locals would be familiar with them wouldn't they and know the signs?

I did some googling on 'Dyatlov Pass incident' and the story also shows up on BigFoot websites with those guys laying claim to the bigfoot angle...

Edited by bouncer, 07 March 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#10    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

And then wiki says:

"The final verdict was that the group members all died because of a "compelling unknown force". The inquest ceased officially in May 1959 due to the "absence of a guilty party". The files were sent to a secret archive, and the photocopies of the case became available only in the 1990s, with some parts missing."

http://en.wikipedia....v_pass_accident

#11    jadewik

jadewik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

Shame, shame... using wikipedia as a credible source. *teases* (Don't get me wrong here... wikipedia is a wonderful tool for a cursory source of information, but the information presented on the site frequently contains inaccuracies in the details... such as the temperature being -30*C instead of the more correct -18*C temperatures on the evening of the Dyatlov Pass Incident.)

If you're interested in reading more detailed information on this, I recommend the following website:
http://www.aquiziam....ss_answers.html

That site has several pages which pick apart the incident with great scrutiny, it addresses all existing theories, and they have more detailed information and photos from the actual incident archives. The detailed information on the website as well as the letter of gratitude issued to the website by Yuri Kuntsevitch, the current President of the Dyatlov Foundation, is strongly suggestive that the site contains more accurate information pertaining to the facts of the incident.

Edited by jadewik, 07 March 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#12    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

I've also posted this story in the true crime section a few months ago. http://www.unexplain...howtopic=220710

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#13    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Oh and here's a topic started even earlier..

http://www.unexplain...pic=177708&st=0

Oops, I see Erix already linked this one. :rofl:

Edited by Mentalcase, 07 March 2012 - 03:57 PM.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#14    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I thought this was just a case of freezing to death.  They tore off their clothing which is a typical reaction.  Their missing tongue was likely eaten by scavengers.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#15    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,148 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

View Postquillius, on 07 March 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

just a few points.

If an avalanche caused the injuries then:
- bodies would all be clothed still
- footprints would not be visible but covered by snow.
- why would teh tent be ripped from inside.

as for the 'tans'....four of the bodies were under 4 ft snow...not in sunlight

The missing tongue..scavangers...maybe...but why just a tongue? also what caused the other injuries? if an avalanche then the bodies would all be buried along with footprints, this would also make it harder for scavangers to get to 'tongues' or other body parts.

it is a strange incident.

uhhm, the scenario in my head was like "group gets surprised by avalanche in the night, some can get out of their snow-buried tent, get hypothermia, get delusional, undress, die..." or something like that. Digging out of under the snow, walk around, y'know? Ah, but that's just wild speculation, everything is possible. Even Bigfoot as i just read ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users