Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Risk of Human Extinction Underestimated

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

www.theatlantic.com said:

Unthinkable as it may be, humanity, every last person, could someday be wiped from the face of the Earth. We have learned to worry about asteroids and supervolcanoes, but the more-likely scenario, according to Nick Bostrom, a professor of philosophy at Oxford, is that we humans will destroy ourselves.

Posted Image Read more...

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,761 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

Yes and wouldn't it be really funny if the answer actually WAS 42?  We've come to a place in our evolution where we begin to see too many possibilities for our end and it scares the crap out of a thinking person.  Until you accept that there is exactly nothing to be done to stop such an eventuality.  Hell, just hang on and enjoy the ride.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,883 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

Honestly, the situation really has not changed all that much.  Like and_then mentioned, it is simply that we have a better understanding of it, but the situation itself is the same as it has been.  I am not going to go all the way to say that nothing can be done (I just don't consider humans to be anywhere near that unstoppable a force), but I will say that the matter will have to be directly addressed with a bit more focus than it currently is.

#4    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

It is popular for cynics to believe that humans will inevitably destroy each other.
I think that we had a good a chance as we'll ever have in the cold war, and we kept on just fine, because nobody WANTED an apocalypse.

As social creatures, humans are instinctively cooperative. There's a reason why the human race got to where we are now, and if we were nearly as vulnerable to destroying ourselves as cynics like to believe, we wouldn't have.

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,761 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

View PostSoul Kitchen, on 07 March 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

It is popular for cynics to believe that humans will inevitably destroy each other.
I think that we had a good a chance as we'll ever have in the cold war, and we kept on just fine, because nobody WANTED an apocalypse.

As social creatures, humans are instinctively cooperative. There's a reason why the human race got to where we are now, and if we were nearly as vulnerable to destroying ourselves as cynics like to believe, we wouldn't have.
The only problem I have with that is that we are such inventive creatures as well.  Gases, bombs, missiles, fun new viruses...and the list goes on.  Point is that the margin for error is thinner than it ever has been and a true man made extinction event IS possible now.  And it could happen due to a simple miscalculation by a few people during a time of great stress.  I don't happen to believe we will become extinct but I very much believe we will come right up to the edge of it.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#6    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Geomathematician

• 1,355 posts

• Not my fault. -Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:32 AM

So a group that exists because they believe humanity will destroy itself is saying that humanity will destroy itself. Well,in other news, Democrats are Democrats and the Pope is Catholic. It's a miracle.

A geophysicist is a person who passes as an exacting expert, on the basis of being able to churn out, with prolific fortitude, infinite amounts of data, gathered to micro-metric precision by persons of questionable I.Q. and mentality with the aid of very expensive "black box" machines of dubious integrity based on incomplete experiments for the avowed purpose of confounding Geologists, who are already on the lunatic fringe of society. -Author Unknown

#7    harleyquinn

harleyquinn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

• LOVE is EVOL
    Spell it backards I'll show ya

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Agreed. War is tearing our humanity apart. I'm not saying life is sugar and rainbows, but we don't have to be bombing eachother every three seconds for someone to listen. All the constant fear of being under war if we make one wrong move is a bad feeling and not how we should be living.

#8    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 1,994 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Postharleyquinn, on 07 March 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

War is tearing our humanity apart.

The last 60 years have been some of the most (relatively) peaceful years humans have had. It feels worse because we see every conflict in all it's visceral detail on TV. I don't see a time when there will be no more war, but even during the cold war both super powers (except on a couple of occasions) did little more than pull faces at each other.

But this kind of fear mongering sells books and makes for good Discovery Channel docos.

#9    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

that is a very very cool post ,i thorghly enjoyed the read :)loved this part..

Can you explain the simulation argument, and how it presents a very particular existential risk?

Bostrom: The simulation argument addresses whether we are in fact living in a simulation as opposed to some basement level physical reality. It tries to show that at least one of three propositions is true, but it doesn't tell us which one. Those three are:
1) Almost all civilizations like ours go extinct before reaching technological maturity.

2) Almost all technologically mature civilizations lose interest in creating ancestor simulations: computer simulations detailed enough that the simulated minds within them would be conscious.

3) we are almost certainly computer simulations ....

Edited by reggie2011, 07 March 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#10    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

View Postreggie2011, on 07 March 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

that is a very very cool post ,i thorghly enjoyed the read :)loved this part..

Can you explain the simulation argument, and how it presents a very particular existential risk?

Bostrom: The simulation argument addresses whether we are in fact living in a simulation as opposed to some basement level physical reality. It tries to show that at least one of three propositions is true, but it doesn't tell us which one. Those three are:
1) Almost all civilizations like ours go extinct before reaching technological maturity.

2) Almost all technologically mature civilizations lose interest in creating ancestor simulations: computer simulations detailed enough that the simulated minds within them would be conscious.

3) we are almost certainly computer simulations ....

#11    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

What is the time frame? In the very long term, the "risk" is 100%. Period.

#12    Mikami

Mikami

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

This wouldnt be the first time I've heard this theory....

#13    wingyflam

wingyflam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Humans, the most dangerous animals on the planet.

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,198 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Risks are always under or overestimated, depending on the side of the fence. If you have an interest in the "world ending" you tend to overestimate, if you are afraid of croaking to underestimate the risk of the whole species going extinct.

But I agree with the prof. there is a far more substantial risk than what we think or what scientist calculate. Some of the factors (like medication resistant germs created by mass animal husbandry) are so gross underestimated that it is scary.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,198 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

View Postwingyflam, on 07 March 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Humans, the most dangerous animals on the planet.

Two planets meet, seez the first one: How are you?
The second answers: well, looks like I caught a skin disease.
Oh? seez the first, what is it called?
Humans.

Edited by questionmark, 07 March 2012 - 05:00 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users