Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Risk of Human Extinction Underestimated

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

I've got my Mr.Snippy gear... I'll be just fine.

EDIT - Oops, spelling mistake.

Edited by King Fluffs, 07 March 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#17    ginozuniga

ginozuniga

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I've never been much interested in whether or not the human race will eventually render itself extinct since the Sun is eventually going to do that for us anyway. However, I read one article about this scientist guy who believes the human population will taper off round 2070 or so. I have always wondered about this, because it seems to me that only so much of the Earth's mass can be converted into human beings. Does anyone know more about this, because this scientist guy didn't really explain why to my satisfaction.

#18    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,777 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Professor Bostrom is absolutely correct but its not a risk,its a FACT..!..and not very far into the future..War,Pestilence(cancer),Famine(We cannot feed some humans now,never mind 7/10 Billion,and Death,The 4 Horsemen,!! and the Earth will be pleased to get rid of us

#19    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

Overpopulation is a far greater threat than climate change.

#20    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

View Postand then, on 07 March 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

The only problem I have with that is that we are such inventive creatures as well.  Gases, bombs, missiles, fun new viruses...and the list goes on.  Point is that the margin for error is thinner than it ever has been and a true man made extinction event IS possible now.  And it could happen due to a simple miscalculation by a few people during a time of great stress.  I don't happen to believe we will become extinct but I very much believe we will come right up to the edge of it.

That's right...It sucks why they made bombs..so on.

wingyflam
Humans, the most dangerous animals on the planet.

Agreed..

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,202 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

View Post27vet, on 08 March 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

The one is, by extension, the cause of the other.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    jbefumo

jbefumo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

yes, but . . . the 1% are making a buck in the meantime, so who's complaining? In a market economy, survival of the species has little value.

#23    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Let's get into the environemental relam a bit. People generally don't want to talk about the real and serious risks that we are facing just because they don't want to accept them as true problems. Nobody wants to hear that we could be stuck in a global crisis before the end of the century.

A lot of people talking about it are often refered to as "alarmists" spreading fear and "catastrophism". Although I'm aware that such people do exist, we shouldn't, on the contrary, try to minimise the current situation and risks.

If nothing changes, T could rise to as much as 6C over average from now until 2100. We have to understand that such a fast rise in T WILL inevitably be a MAJOR threath for hundreads of millions of people that would need to be re-located.

Also, keep in mind global warming is like a snowball effect. The more warming there is, the faster it's going to rise for multiple reasons such as ice melting (ice reflects sun irradiance), liberation of methane hydrate (higher GW potential), acidification of water resulting in less algae for instance thus less CO2 fixation and etc. etc. etc.

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#24    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

It's all tied in together. Here's a recent documentary by David Attenborough on human overpopulation. The title of video is the one question that politicians, developers and economists refuse to ask; How Many People Can Live on Planet Earth?

http://topdocumentar...n-planet-earth/

#25    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

Not really. They are two very diffrent things. But they are both dangerous and affect eachother out.

From now on until 2100, if nothing changes, hundreads of millions people will have to be re-located. When that happens, then yes, our planet will even be MUCH more sensitive to overpopulation (more than it is already) because more and more places are going to be inapt for human establishment. Other places, though, are going to bloom with life, plants etc. and will offer us a possibility to move (northern places especially). But then again, that would mean building new cities, moving everyone etc. which would be a terrible mess. Especially considering the current economical situation everywhere.

Also, more people means more pollution unless we rapidly and majorly change our ways of consuming. I doubt we will make it in time. No matter how hard we are fighting for this, the energy lobby is too strong and will do everything to keep making money.

But still, overpopulation alone is also a threat. In 2050 we will be about 10 billions and by 2100 we could be 15 billions. Considering how bad our environemnt is getting, it is (in my opinion) inevitable that a doubling in current population + environmental crisis = major trouble ahead.

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#26    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the comments.

look at the rate of population growth on this graph (courtesy of Wikipedia)

Posted Image

#27    AbsurdistMe

AbsurdistMe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

• "A taste for truth at any cost is a passion which spares nothing." -Camus

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

If you look at how long humanity has been on earth and how many times species have been whipped out, then it's inevitable that we will be eradicated at some point. In fact it would seem that we are overdo for another extinction. Humanity is resilient to a certain degree, but there are many creatures that will probably outlive us and possibly surpass us.

I'm leaning toward a virus of some sort or other. At some point our tampering with nature will come back to bite us.

#28    woopypooky

woopypooky

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

that some crazy son of a **EDIT** who modified the H2N1 virus is one of the factor.

**Your attempt to bypass the profanity filter is not appreciated.**

Edited by aquatus1, 10 March 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#29    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

View Postginozuniga, on 07 March 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

I've never been much interested in whether or not the human race will eventually render itself extinct since the Sun is eventually going to do that for us anyway. However, I read one article about this scientist guy who believes the human population will taper off round 2070 or so. I have always wondered about this, because it seems to me that only so much of the Earth's mass can be converted into human beings. Does anyone know more about this, because this scientist guy didn't really explain why to my satisfaction.

I very much doubt that the sun will kill us. We'll most likely be long extinct by the time the sun dies.

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#30    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,654 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

The person that is listening to the voices in their head is as much of a danger as a asteroid.  All they need to do is get to thinking the earth needs purified and get their hands on some bio engineered disease that's 100 time more lethal than its original version.  Then you have all the scientists digging around in places that haven't been exposed to the air in thousands or hundreds of thousands of years that could unwittingly unleash something.

There are diseases we have to deal with everyday that are becoming immune to antibiotics.  One day antibiotics may not have any effect on most of them.  Another thing that could end humanity is the ability to have children. I read a article several years ago that said since WW11 a mans sperm count has been going down.  Some of these STD's could keep you from having a healthy child.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users