Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] Camping Admits Rapture Prediction 'A Mistake'

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

news.yahoo.com said:

Ninety-year-old Harold Camping predicted that the world would come to an end on May 21, 2011.  And then again on October 21, 2011.

And while it has been clear for months that the world, in fact, did not end on either date, Camping has finally issued an official statement admitting the mistake.

Posted Image Read more...

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,624 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

Gee that must make all the poor souls who believed him and sold all their wordly goods or gave them away feel so much better.  I wonder if "humbly" admitting he was wrong is also going to equal "humbly" parting with his ill-earned wealth to recompense those affected by his mistake.:rolleyes:  After all atoning for your sins is divine.:innocent:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 10 March 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

Gee that must make all the poor souls who believed him and sold all their wordly goods or gave them away feel so much better.  I wonder if "humbly" admitting he was wrong is also going to equal "humbly" parting with his ill-earned wealth to recompense those affected by his mistake.:rolleyes:  After all atoning for your sins is divine.:innocent:
Darn you beat me to it on the money thingy .... darn Aussie they always a day ahead!    :devil: :devil:

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,149 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, Mr. Camping should give everyone's money back. I think the people that were taken in  should band together (class action suit) and take Mr. Camping to court.  :yes:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Conning a lot of his followers  and  taking their money  is  more than a mistake.. He should refund  every penny...But I doubt it

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#6    CommieX

CommieX

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 185 posts

• God shmod! I want my monkey-man!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

He didn't intentionally scam those people, he was just a moron. I feel sorry for the old fool.

#7    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I fail to believe apologies from people who make the same mistake over and over.  1988...1994...2011...

Probably the only reason he won't see another prediction is his age.  Wonder if the family will keep at it?

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#8    Kopf Jaeger

Kopf Jaeger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I agree with Karmakazi, once MAYBE twice possibly, hell even a broken clock is correct twice a day, this guy is either a moron and or a total con artist

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

View Postkarmakazi, on 10 March 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

I fail to believe apologies from people who make the same mistake over and over.  1988...1994...2011...

I agree...  If you make a mistake one time  over something.. then  yea it can be excused ...  Do it again  over the SAME thing..  you can try and tolerate it... But again and again... Comer one, you are having a laugh ....and obviously too stupid to notice you keep failing

I think he knows he may fail..but it doesn't stop him from  getting followers to invest...

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 10 March 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#10    Martyn1967

Martyn1967

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

If people are stupid enough to believe him and sell or give away their possessions then they deserve what they get. Why would they need to sell or give things away if its the end of the world anyway. No one is going to need it.

"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilization." -- Voltaire.

#11    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

I can't wait for Camping to kick the bucket.

#12    Future_Ikann

Future_Ikann

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

ok i think its Matthew 24 that says "concerning that day or hour nobody knows, neihter the angels of the heavens nor the son, but only the Father" so as long as we have quacks predicting the end of the world every day till the end of time (.,ie Supernova, Gama Ray burst, nuclear war, of some dumb scientist creating a virus) I think we should all be fairly safe in saying the "rapture" will never come :)

#13    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Queen E L S A

• 8,321 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

"Beware of false phophets."

That is all I have to say.

#14    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• 1,047 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostMartyn1967, on 10 March 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

If people are stupid enough to believe him and sell or give away their possessions then they deserve what they get.
Agreed.

Why would they need to sell or give things away if its the end of the world anyway. No one is going to need it.

I assume it is an all-too-late attempt to show their devotion and trust in god.

If they want to show true devotion, they should give everything up whether the world is going to end or not.  Which is basically what Jesus said but I guess everyone's trying to sit tight until that "oh crap!" moment hits.

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#15    Gaden

Gaden

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

• simple but not simple minded

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostCommieX, on 10 March 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

He didn't intentionally scam those people, he was just a moron. I feel sorry for the old fool.

You can't really say wether it was intentional or not, you can't read his mind. But, since he is a "man of God" he would be well aware that  bible says no one will know the time. And if he knew the bible says that, then I would lean toward a deliberate scam. If he had returned the money, I would change my opinion.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, I just can't get my head that far up my butt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users