Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl is allergic to the cold

thedutchiedutch

It's been a long, lonely winter for Abbie Tully.

The 12-year-old, who lives in Bournemouth, has been forced to spend the last five months stuck indoors because a rare allergy to the cold could kill her.

She only developed the condition cold urticaria in November last year but since then she has been unable to go outside even for a few minutes and cannot attend an ordinary school.

Whereas others her age are free to play in the snow or paddle in the sea, even the slightest chill could lead to a deadly allergic reaction for Abbie.

Link to Full Article and Source

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kryso

• thedutchiedutch

• Cassea

• Parsip

I've often wondered if I am allergic to the cold. I get crazy SAD every year. But when it's cold it is completely debilitating.

It's been a long, lonely winter for Abbie Tully.

The 12-year-old, who lives in Bournemouth, has been forced to spend the last five months stuck indoors because a rare allergy to the cold could kill her.

She only developed the condition cold urticaria in November last year but since then she has been unable to go outside even for a few minutes and cannot attend an ordinary school.

Whereas others her age are free to play in the snow or paddle in the sea, even the slightest chill could lead to a deadly allergic reaction for Abbie.

Link to Full Article and Source

Living in a burning hot desert, I've long learned to value every cold breeze. I have no idea why people like summer so much. I can't stand being anywhere other than a room with one or two air conditioners on.

I'm a cold weather man myself. Even so, horrible thing to be allergic to :(

I prefer cold weather to hot... When it is hot, I cannot relax, nor can I sleep well at night...I have fans all over the house.. It is so annoying... I long for the winter most times

when i was 12 i developed something similar, although not as serious. when i got too hot, i would get a rash like that, even in the winter cause i would get hotter from exercise, even from walking to school. mines gone now, it lasted about 2 years, and now it only appears in big temperature changes.

Living in a burning hot desert, I've long learned to value every cold breeze. I have no idea why people like summer so much. I can't stand being anywhere other than a room with one or two air conditioners on.

i totally understand where you come from parsnip.. i hate the summer, the only thing that i like about it, is the amount of daylight you get. you can keep the heat. having it be 30C at 9pm, without a breeze is just awful.. i am very much a winter girl. summer sucks, i just wish someone would tell mother nature that summer is over here. we are still having a heatwave.

i totally understand where you come from parsnip.. i hate the summer, the only thing that i like about it, is the amount of daylight you get. you can keep the heat. having it be 30C at 9pm, without a breeze is just awful.. i am very much a winter girl. summer sucks, i just wish someone would tell mother nature that summer is over here. we are still having a heatwave.

I live on the gulf of Mexico coast in Alabama. Near where the BP oil spill happened. Summers here average 35c from late June to late August and the constant high humidity makes the air so uncomfortable that it's difficult to breathe at times. Summer is miserable here as well!!

That first cool and dry breeze in October is a great cause for celebration :w00t: I would love to live in a colder climate...

I'm allergic to the cold too, it's not that uncommon, but not as bad as she is. It's an odd thing, not allergic to a substance but a temperature.

I have been confirmed by doctors but you can test yourself by holding you arm up close to the a/c blower for a few minutes and see if it starts itching and breaks out into hives in that spot. There's also an ice cube test but the a/c test is easier. This always happens to me in the car if the a/c is blowing on my arm.

I also have this same condition, however we didn't find out until my senior year of high school. It all made sense when we found out, although my condition isn't very serious. I do get hives when I go out in the cold but it's not my whole body . If only I would've found out earlier maybe I could have also not have to have gone to school. lol

• 2 weeks later...

People who is allergic to the cold: Don't live anywhere near Wisconsin or Minnisota (if your in the U.S.)

People who is allergic to the heat: Probably shouldnt live there either. (MN. and WI. gots the best of both worlds)

P.S. sorry to people to have those kinds of allergies, I'm sure that must suck! (hugs)

Love the cold weather. I feel sorry for this poor girl. I hate hot or warm weather. I have the a/c on, 2 fans on and keep my home freezing.