Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Nuclear bomb could save Earth

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

CBS News..(Space.com) A well-placed nuclear explosion could actually save humanity  from a big asteroid hurtling toward Earth, just like in the movies, a  new study suggests.  Scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory, a United States Department  of Energy facility in New Mexico, used a supercomputer to model nukes' anti asteroid effectiveness.  They attacked a 1,650-foot-long (500-meter) space rock with a 1-megaton  nuclear weapon - about 50 times more powerful than the U.S. blast  inflicted on Nagasaki, Japan, to help end World Read More Here

Think we've had it if an asteroid does come for us or do you think they will save the day?

#2    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

• Nothing is worse than active ignorance. - Goethe

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

I personally trust Bruce Willis on this one.

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone to just sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. -Margaret Thatcher

#3    Hero of our time.

Hero of our time.

Alien Embryo

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

The Lord will sustain us on our sickbed

and restore us from our bed of illness.  Psalm 41:3

God sent ME into the world not to condemn the world;

but that the world  through ME might be saved. John 3:17

This is the wisdom of ME, and US to save the world.You are me, and me, you.

Been crucified.

#4    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,710 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

It will most likely seperate a killer asteroid into either smaller (still large) sections, or thousands of irradiated smaller ones, which would hopefully disintegrate before they impact on the Earth. It would still probably do a lot of damage, with high levels of radiation now added to the mix. It would no longer be a planet killer, but there would still be some extensive fallout.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3, 15 March 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#5    Cryptozological Mascot

Cryptozological Mascot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” –Martin Reese, British Astronomer

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

@ Hero... um... I consider myself faithful to God, however throwing a bible at the rock problably wouldn't do much good...

#6    dest

dest

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

maybe but if it does then there is a chance that small radio active meteors hit earth and some places get radio active etc :P

Edited by dest, 15 March 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,057 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

In any case, this is the dumbest idea since the construction of the Tower of Babylon. We can more or less estimate the damage any rock coming this way will cause, we cannot estimate the damage 1000 rocks will cause, especially if we blew the first rock up.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    BrandOfAmber

BrandOfAmber

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• Life is the lust of the lamp for the light that is dark till the dawn of the day that we die...

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

I would like to go on record officially in agreement with Questionmark and Spid3rCyd3.

There are SOOOO many problems with this idea, it's ridiculous to even discuss.

But let's...

1) Getting the Warhead into orbit - totally dangerous, not to mention potentially mis-interpreted as a ICBM strike and the start of WW3...

2) Getting the Warhead to the target - totally impossible.  Space isn't like firing a missile in the atmosphere, an aerodynamic shape means nothing  in the vacuum.  Let alone keeping a missile lit long enough (tiny fuel supply) to cover the distance to the target (target must be VERY far out to have the resulting pieces not hit Earth...)

3) Destroying the target - good luck destroying (not irradiating like is the threat on Earth from Nukes, but actually physically shattering...) something the size of the State of Rhode Island with a single warhead.  Have fun with that.  I've done the math, and there is simply no way.

4) Predicting the course of the shards after the explosion - absolutely impossible.

5) Predicting the size(s) of the resulting pieces (if you end up with just 2 rocks at half size on the same course, you weren't effective).

6) WE HAVE NO SPACE INFRASTRUCTURE.  So no matter what goes wrong en situ (and SOMETHING WILL), we have zero ability to respond to the situation.  Apollo 13 was scary, but imagine if the success of that mission also represented the survival of our entire species...  That's us, right now, in 2012.

This idea is ridiculous non-sense.

At the very least, if you are going to 'shoot' at asteroids, let's build a magnetic railgun that has the range to fire at the targets first!  Sheesh.

-Brand

#9    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

View Postsocrates.junior, on 15 March 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

I personally trust Bruce Willis on this one.

Dunno man. The dude's getting pretty old. I don't think he'd be able to lift a nuclear missile and throw it at the asteriod.

Just sent a picture of Chuck Norris to the damn thing and it's going to nuke itself into the sun.

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#10    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

The smaller bits would kill us, I think.

#11    bouncer

bouncer

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostKing Fluffs, on 15 March 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

The smaller bits would kill us, I think.

Nuclear bombs can save earth? Eh?

If the middle east kicks of this year, with Israel threatening to nuke Iran - which in turn triggers WW3... there will be nothing much worth saving.  We're in more danger from wars than asteroids, lets get the worries into perspective!

besides, think about it, so you're an asteroid who's been zooming thru space, being so massive and so fast - traveling at who knows what speed... and a nuclear bomb, IF it can be launched into space, and IF it doesn't malfunction on the way, and IF the trajectory doesn't go awry, and IF it actually hits the target, it 'may' alter the trajectory so it hits us better than it would of, or as has been said, breaks some bits off... meaning we're in for more than one impact..

But what if it doesn't do as much damage in space as it does on earth?  Have nuclears been tested in space? Anyone?

If theres been no tests, and that's what its all about...whose to say what may happen?

Edited by bouncer, 15 March 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#12    SPETSNAZ95

SPETSNAZ95

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Would that possibly cause an EMP?

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,057 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostSPETSNAZ95, on 15 March 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Would that possibly cause an EMP?

Depending on how far they blow the thingy up the answer is yes.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,775 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostBrandOfAmber, on 15 March 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

2) Getting the Warhead to the target - totally impossible.  Space isn't like firing a missile in the atmosphere, an aerodynamic shape means nothing  in the vacuum.  Let alone keeping a missile lit long enough (tiny fuel supply) to cover the distance to the target (target must be VERY far out to have the resulting pieces not hit Earth...)

This is the only one I really have to call BS on, sorry :)

We have that technology......Doesn't really take much to see it, what we have all ready done with Mars expeditions, and others shows we could get the war head there......

Remember the satelite they shot out of orbit from a US Navy ship?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#15    kobolds

kobolds

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

depend on the size of asteroid and volume  . if it's as small and light as the satellite  then yes .   if it's the size of an island then NO .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users