Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

B.C. mulls flying welfare recipients

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,715 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

The B.C. government is floating a proposal to fly people on social assistance north and give them accommodation and training to fill vacant jobs in the booming oil and gas sector. Finance Minister Kevin Falcon first suggested the plan at a business meeting in Kamloops on Tuesday.

On Wednesday Kamloops Liberal MLA Terry Lake told CBC News the plan is in its infancy, meaning in political terms, it's a trial balloon.

"It is a unique idea that will take some development. But I think a lot of people, it will resonate with them because it just makes sense," said Lake.

"Why not offer people who are able to work the ability to get some training, the ability to provide funding to get them into communities where they desperately need young people to work in those industries."

article

I am not a Liberal supporter, but I agree with this idea.  Why should I be willing to uproot my daughter to get a better job and life and some of these welfare recipients just sit on their ****, not willing to move.  Where is their pride?

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 15 March 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

article

I am not a Liberal supporter, but I agree with this idea.  Why should I be willing to uproot my daughter to get a better job and life and some of these welfare recipients just sit on their ****, not willing to move.  Where is their pride?
Theree is not much pride for those on wellfare, look at major corporations like ford city bank gm; they got their check and now they enjoy the dividends.

What I would have like to read but it wasn't in the article is the kind of backlash:

That's what Liberal MLA John Les discovered last year when he faced backlash for suggesting those out of work in Nanaimo move north for work.

Personaly I think it a great idea.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#3    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

It sounds like a good idea if it's voluntary and if the pay is a livable wage, not slave labor. If it's anything like the states though I look at this as being a way for big corporations to get cheap labor paid for by tax payers.

#4    Socio

Socio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 15 March 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

article

Because a lot of those on welfare are on welfare because they want to be on welfare.

#5    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostSocio, on 15 March 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Because a lot of those on welfare are on welfare because they want to be on welfare.
That's a pretty darn heavy generalization don't you think?

View Postconspiracybeliever, on 15 March 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

It sounds like a good idea if it's voluntary and if the pay is a livable wage, not slave labor. If it's anything like the states though I look at this as being a way for big corporations to get cheap labor paid for by tax payers.
agreed

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#6    Clyde the Glyde

Clyde the Glyde

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostParacelse, on 15 March 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

That's a pretty darn heavy generalization don't you think?
agreed

Not really.  There are alot of slackers out there who are happy to live out the rest of their lives on public assistance with absolutely no desire to work for a living.

#7    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostClyde the Glyde, on 15 March 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Not really.  There are alot of slackers out there who are happy to live out the rest of their lives on public assistance with absolutely no desire to work for a living.
Trust me I know, there are plenty of those in France.  The 2/3 of the town I live in now in France are on wellfare but there are still some people who bust their toochies to find a real job.  Here most of those professional wellfare people are of the immigration.

République No.6

#8    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,208 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

View Postconspiracybeliever, on 15 March 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Working up north in the oil and gas industry pays very well. I have met people that make six figures in there first or second year up there driving a truck.  I think this is a good idea but in no way can they force people to move.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#9    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,222 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

It's certainly worth mulling. If they can't get people who want to work to take the jobs, and if they have people on assistance that are mentally and physically able to be trained for them, then great. They have to take living wages into consideration and they have to take consideration of which current welfare recipients are able to take the jobs. For example it would be very difficult to force a single young mother away from her babies unless you're also going to provide chid care and housing up north as well.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#10    Clyde the Glyde

Clyde the Glyde

Psychic Spy

• 1,861 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostParacelse, on 15 March 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Trust me I know, there are plenty of those in France.  The 2/3 of the town I live in now in France are on wellfare but there are still some people who bust their toochies to find a real job.  Here most of those professional wellfare people are of the immigration.

I know one woman who is, and wants to stay a full-time student. She is paying for her schooling on government loans. But she knows that when she stops going to school she has to start paying her loans back. She gets money for food and money for fuel to drive to school.

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,827 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Why do people think it is so degrading to ask people on welfare to move for a job and that they are just being used and abused? :rolleyes:  Canada is desperate for workers and are trying to recruit from all over the world.

Here's an article from Ireland...

There’s jobs in them there hills – up to 80,000 of them for Irish workers according to a visiting delegation from Canada.

Construction vacancies in British Columbia could be filled by Irish workers according to the group from Western Canada who are touring Ireland this week.

Read more: http://www.irishcent...l#ixzz1pD3NKW5H

Edited by Michelle, 15 March 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#12    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,715 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostMichelle, on 15 March 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

Why do people think it is so degrading to ask people on welfare to move for a job and that they are just being used and abused? :rolleyes:  Canada is desperate for workers and are trying to recruit from all over the world.

Here's an article from Ireland...

There’s jobs in them there hills – up to 80,000 of them for Irish workers according to a visiting delegation from Canada.

Construction vacancies in British Columbia could be filled by Irish workers according to the group from Western Canada who are touring Ireland this week.

Read more: http://www.irishcent...l#ixzz1pD3NKW5H

Exactly, Michelle.  I live in a town that is a major winter resort town.  We have a lot of ex-pats who arrive here every fall, as well as imported workers who do the jobs that are 'below' the locals standards.  Working at McDonalds or Tim Hortons (Canadian coffee franchise) is 'degrading'.  If I wasn't a single mom who would have to uproot my daughter to move up north, I would be heading up there.  You get Northen Pay, tax credits and high wages....for people who don't want to go up there because they want to live where they want to....that is pretty silly.  The people I know who work up there work their shifts and then come home for the break.  No one says they have to live up there full time.

Sure it would be voluntary....you decline, you get kicked off of welfare!  Welfare is supposed to be a temporary solution to being unemployed, not a way of life.  I don't work my ass off so that some young guy can sit on his ass and collect free money.  And it says in the article that the they would be getting their wages, not the amount that they were getting on welfare.  So, they would be making a tonne of money and having the feeling of accomplishment  by actually working for the money they live on.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#13    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostClyde the Glyde, on 15 March 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

I know one woman who is, and wants to stay a full-time student. She is paying for her schooling on government loans. But she knows that when she stops going to school she has to start paying her loans back. She gets money for food and money for fuel to drive to school.
While I was a student then when I became prof in Denver, I met some of those and I found this quit disturbing.

République No.6

#14    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 15 March 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Sure it would be voluntary....you decline, you get kicked off of welfare!  Welfare is supposed to be a temporary solution to being unemployed, not a way of life.  I don't work my ass off so that some young guy can sit on his ass and collect free money.  And it says in the article that the they would be getting their wages, not the amount that they were getting on welfare.  So, they would be making a tonne of money and having the feeling of accomplishment  by actually working for the money they live on.
:tu: :tu:

République No.6

#15    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,553 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

Sure it would be voluntary....you decline, you get kicked off of welfare! Welfare is supposed to be a temporary solution to being unemployed, not a way of life. I don't work my ass off so that some young guy can sit on his ass and collect free money. And it says in the article that the they would be getting their wages, not the amount that they were getting on welfare. So, they would be making a tonne of money and having the feeling of accomplishment by actually working for the money they live on.

seconded :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users