Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

The Real Abyss


  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostKryso, on 17 March 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Makes me shudder... Never know what's going to bump into your craft down there  :unsure:


me too, I was gonna say no-one can hear you scream down there either, but doubtless he will have comms!....Besides even with comms he will still sound like a chipmunk on helium with the gas he will be breathing! But no-one can help him if it all goes tits-up..

see funny vid:  





I still tease myself he may come across something truly mind blowing tho

Edited by bouncer, 17 March 2012 - 11:42 AM.


#17    highdesert50

highdesert50

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Joined:09 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

What a tremendous role model; this is the essence of humanity. To go to the extreme, explore, and survive as a species. And, perhaps why NASA has failed by so diminishing the notion that it's about moving us, as humans, to the forefront of the adventure, not the robots.


#18    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 19,031 posts
  • Joined:15 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Planet TEXAS

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Yes indeed He`s a very important leader in our world today,We need to demand all our children try and grow up with such dreams and curiosity !
NASA can re-gain its lead in exploration . Remember One more penny towards there budget and we would be on Mars in Five years !


#19    libstaK

libstaK

    Nosce Te Ipsum

  • 7,178 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

  • Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostBrianPotter, on 17 March 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

A colony of Hyraxes...

Oh heck no, you did not just say that :w00t:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#20    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,313 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 17 March 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Oh heck no, you did not just say that :w00t:


They must be somewhere...:innocent:


#21    Logical Thought

Logical Thought

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Joined:19 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 17 March 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Yes indeed He`s a very important leader in our world today,We need to demand all our children try and grow up with such dreams and curiosity !
NASA can re-gain its lead in exploration . Remember One more penny towards there budget and we would be on Mars in Five years !
I have a whole bunch of pennies, let's do this!  :tu:


#22    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 17 March 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Oh heck no, you did not just say that :w00t:

hehehe, yeh but if the pressure down there can crush a leaky sub and the driver with all that incredible force, then what 'really' can be living right down there?

snip( McLean said the 16,500 pounds-per-square inch pressure isn't bone-crushing, "it's obliterating." Cameron said if there were a leak, the pressure would crush him so fast he couldn't even cry out").


'Some thingys' no doubt could live down there, but lets wait and see! I personally dont expect many critters, Im just hoping they find some other WOW stuff!

Edited by bouncer, 17 March 2012 - 07:46 PM.


#23    SewerRat

SewerRat

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined:29 Jan 2011

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

@Bouncer  He won't be breathing helium. He wil be in a very strong submarine shell. His air will be the same as ours and hopefully remain at the same presssure as ours. If the hull splits there will be a 'waterclap' and the 16 tons per square inch outside pressure will flatten him like a kipper tie. Helium is of no use to him whatsoever.


#24    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostSewerRat, on 17 March 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

@Bouncer  He won't be breathing helium. He wil be in a very strong submarine shell. His air will be the same as ours and hopefully remain at the same presssure as ours. If the hull splits there will be a 'waterclap' and the 16 tons per square inch outside pressure will flatten him like a kipper tie. Helium is of no use to him whatsoever.

Thanks for pointing that out. Im no expert on the subject!


#25    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Joined:27 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Annwyn

  • Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I hope he succeeds & gains lots of knowledge & photos for the world, good luck James.


#26    SewerRat

SewerRat

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined:29 Jan 2011

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

When Picard and Walsh took the bathyscaphe Trieste to the bottom of the trench in 1960 they observed a flat seabed of primordial ooze and saw a few flatfish and prawn-like animals living in that extreme environment. It is perfectly dark from about 1 kilometre downward so there is no photosynthesis and living things are generally very pale or white. The Trieste's outer plexiglass windscreen cracked on the way down and I've often wondered if it was sheer bravery or foolhardiness that led them to complete their mission. Hats off to Cameron, AND his competitors, for even contemplating the descent into that cold black abyss.


#27    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostSewerRat, on 18 March 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

When Picard and Walsh took the bathyscaphe Trieste to the bottom of the trench in 1960 they observed a flat seabed of primordial ooze and saw a few flatfish and prawn-like animals living in that extreme environment. It is perfectly dark from about 1 kilometre downward so there is no photosynthesis and living things are generally very pale or white. The Trieste's outer plexiglass windscreen cracked on the way down and I've often wondered if it was sheer bravery or foolhardiness that led them to complete their mission. Hats off to Cameron, AND his competitors, for even contemplating the descent into that cold black abyss.



...that just twitched my freakyometer up a few notches.. :blink:

Not only do I not like absolute darkness, nor the claustrophobic thought of being in a one man sub going 7 miles down, slowly...hearing creaks and groans..while having the lingering thoughts that it could well be the last thing you ever do...jeez, would you do it?

Kudos for James, he's obviously 'grown some balls' in his lifetime...

Edited by bouncer, 18 March 2012 - 12:38 AM.


#28    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 43,348 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Update -

James Cameron waits for calm weather before dive to Mariana Trench

http://www.telegraph...ana-Trench.html

Posted Image

#29    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 24 March 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Update -

James Cameron waits for calm weather before dive to Mariana Trench

http://www.telegraph...ana-Trench.html


My goodness, so he has to stand up on the way down while the sub spins? Holy smoly, that'd make you dizzy! Fingers crossed all goes well and he gets back up OK!  Communicating by text message too, ha, just like in the film!!

Nat Geo link: http://news.national...st-science-sub/

Edited by bouncer, 25 March 2012 - 09:07 AM.


#30    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Phew.....he's dived now...

soon be able to see whats down there...

http://www.cbsnews.c...ns-7-mile-dive/





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users