Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Domestic life in 1950s Britain

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#136    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,713 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Edited by Eldorado, 31 March 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#137    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,048 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostEldorado, on 31 March 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Aww WOW!!!!! Thank you....thank you.....thank you EL  :nw:  :clap:

This brings back a lot of memories for me  :wub: ...Thank you for posting this  :) :)

Posted Image

#138    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,878 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 31 March 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

The last jukebox I saw was in an amusement arcade! I still have a record case full of singles (45's) and another two cases of LP's.

Now this is going back a bit! - does anyone remember the very old (78's) records? They were "His Master's Voice" or something like that with brown labels on and brown sleeves. We had those those at home, I can still see my dad now putting one on the player. There was one in particular that stands out in my mind, it went something like this -

"Seven little girls sitting in the back seat, hugging and a kissing with Fred, he said why don't one of you come up and sit beside me, here's what the seven girls said.....altogether now...one, two, three....Keep you eyes on the driving, keeps your hands on the wheel, and we'll keep an eye on the road ahead. We're having fun sitting in the back seat, hugging and a kissing with Fred"....... I'm singing this tune in my head as I'm posting this :w00t:

I've searched for that song to find out who sang it, I'd love to know who it was and what year.
      Hi,yes I know the song but havnt a clue who sang it,all I can suggest is try the web site "Ask Jeeves",you may get an answer.Old 78's in good condition are quite valuable to collectors,it might be worth getting them valued and putting them to auction,but NOT  a car boot sale,cheers......

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#139    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,076 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 31 March 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Hi,yes I know the song but havnt a clue who sang it,all I can suggest is try the web site "Ask Jeeves",you may get an answer.Old 78's in good condition are quite valuable to collectors,it might be worth getting them valued and putting them to auction,but NOT  a car boot sale,cheers......

'Seven Little Girls' was originally recorded by 'The Avons' and was released in 1959.The Avons were a British pop vocal group. Originally composed of Valerie Murtagh (born 1936, Willesden, London) and Elaine Murtagh, (born 1940, County Cork, Eire) and known as 'The Avon Sisters', they added Raymond S. Adams (born 1938, Jersey, Channel Islands), and changed their name to 'The Avons'.

Edited by ealdwita, 31 March 2012 - 05:38 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#140    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,048 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 31 March 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

After Eldorado kindly posted a video of the song, I'm just happy to know it wasn't something I dreamt up lol! The old 78's collection we had, I don't know what happened to them. My mum and dad moved house long after I left home so what they did with them I've no idea.

View Postealdwita, on 31 March 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

'Seven Little Girls' was originally recorded by 'The Avons' and was released in 1959.The Avons were a British pop vocal group. Originally composed of Valerie Murtagh (born 1936, Willesden, London) and Elaine Murtagh, (born 1940, County Cork, Eire) and known as 'The Avon Sisters', they added Raymond S. Adams (born 1938, Jersey, Channel Islands), and changed their name to 'The Avons'.
1959! wow..thank you, that's interesting, but now I do feel old!... :D

Posted Image

#141    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,405 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

My dad used to have a collection of very old 78's...  The lable said they were from the "RCA Victrola Talking Machine Company"... Very old...  Unfortunatly they were lost during one of our many moves... We spent on average 2 years in a house/town then would have to move to another... You lose a lot of stuff that way!

Edited by Taun, 06 April 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#142    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,305 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

VictorTalkingLogo.jpg

The little dog's name is Nipper..   :lol:  

VictorLabel 1917.jpg
1917! label

Anyway,  the 50's were a great time in the colonies too! ... so were the sixties come to think of it!  :)
Some of my very favorite music is that extremely silly 50's  Doo Wop .   i hope it made it to england as a gift in exchange for British Rock!    :tu:

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#143    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,713 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

View Postlightly, on 06 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Some of my very favorite music is that extremely silly 50's  Doo Wop .   i hope it made it to england as a gift in exchange for British Rock!    :tu:

It was YOU who were responsible for this?..........

Edited by Eldorado, 06 April 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#144    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,305 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Well, not me, personally, Eldorado, but  yanks .    Ya,  that's pretty much it!   hehe.    shoop shoop . . . shibity shibity bop!*
the Beatle's did a little ..  mmshoobie doobie ... auh .. shoobie doobie..  in "Revolution" lol.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users