Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Camel spider bite puts soldier in hospital


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 37,045 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

When Lance Corporal Sammy O’Gorman learned he was being sent to fight in Iraq, he immediately thought of the dangers of deadly roadside bombs.

But it was not an improvised explosive device (IED) planted by insurgents that nearly cost the  28-year-old his life.

L/Cpl O’Gorman spent three months in intensive care and underwent 17 operations – after being bitten on the thigh by a giant spider.

Posted Image Read more...


Posted Image

#2    ~TheBigK~

~TheBigK~

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,925 posts
  • Joined:13 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wisconsin

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

I shouldn't have read this. And I shouldn't have scrolled down to read the comments either, like this one:

"I was in Iraq 12 years ago and woke up with one of these lanqiuishing for a bit of shut eye on my nice warm face. All 9 inches of him. luckily, was much worser looking first thing and the spider legged it at a guess around 15 miles an hour out the door."

I would die. :no:

Posted Image

#3    _Only

_Only

  • Member
  • 6,463 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern California

  • Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

I have seen a picture of the camel spider before. Won't be clicking the link. He survived; that's good enough for me.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#4    I Am Not Resisting

I Am Not Resisting

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined:18 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Female

  • "Security Forces wives don't have to be told not to resist."

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

My husband got to see some of these spiders while deployed twice, luckily they never had a close interaction.

-Don't judge me.
-Did you just say "Don't touch me"?  We're in public!

#5    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 4,163 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2006

  • "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

    "Record

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

My skin is itching as I think about this arachnid. Omg. *shudders*


#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,245 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

One of my friends has her Ph.D. in Egyptology,and archeology.Shes been on numerous digs in Egypt,and she told me stories about these things.
She said they have tried to kill them,like crushing it with a rock,and it squirts blood,and you think it's dead,but it's not.It feigns death.
She said the blood squirt is a self defense mechanism ,so you think it's dead,but then it gets up and runs off.
She said they also follow you.Shes seen them following people and herself,but if it's light out,it actually goes inside the outline of your shadow,so you dont see it.
Shes never been bitten,and generally ,you only have to worry about them out in the desert,not in cities,but they sneak into tents and so forth,and crawl up on people while they sleep.
I mean gross.

Edited by missymoo999, 21 March 2012 - 03:51 PM.

Miss me?

#7    wild_deuce03

wild_deuce03

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined:21 Mar 2012

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I had to register just to comment on this one.  I've been to Iraq 4 times and have never seen a camel spider the size of the one in the picture.  Everything I've read about them has their largest size being up to 5 inches.  The pics of the mammoth camel spiders are fake.  Trust me, they're still creepy, but not near what the media tries to make them.


#8    HerNibs

HerNibs

    Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

  • Member
  • 12,033 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Colorado

  • Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

View Postwild_deuce03, on 21 March 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I had to register just to comment on this one.  I've been to Iraq 4 times and have never seen a camel spider the size of the one in the picture.  Everything I've read about them has their largest size being up to 5 inches.  The pics of the mammoth camel spiders are fake.  Trust me, they're still creepy, but not near what the media tries to make them.


Yeah, my son said the same thing.  (Deployed 2x's to Afghanistan, 2x's to Iraq).

Info on camel spiders.

6 inches according to this.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#9    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,136 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2003
  • Gender:Male

  • "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Any kind of bite that is left to fester for two weeks before it is dealt with with result in potential infection.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#10    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 14,874 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostFluffybunny, on 21 March 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Any kind of bite that is left to fester for two weeks before it is dealt with with result in potential infection.

True, but admitting he got an infection because he was too much of a pillock to get the bite treated when it happened doesn't sound as heroic as "been attacked by a huge spider, who infected/injected me with lethal bacteria".

Edited by Leonardo, 21 March 2012 - 07:52 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#11    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 210 posts
  • Joined:16 Mar 2010

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Maybe this will stop immature soldiers throwing these horrible things on their fellow soldiers in the middle of the night.

So many seem to be unable to get it through their heads that, with moral being vital in a war zone, the last thing you need to do is throw a huge camel spider on someone with nerves that might already be really wrecked, and if you're like me, has an incredibly bad case of arachnophobia. If someone did that to me, then frankly the 'I'll watch your back, you watch mine' mindset would seriously be damaged. If you don't have arachnophobia then you won't understand.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne, 21 March 2012 - 10:44 PM.


#12    Marks_Thoughts

Marks_Thoughts

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Joined:30 Jan 2011

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

I was in Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War. One night I was filling my Hummer at a fuel point. One of those things went running by, then back, then back the other way. Each time getting closer to the pump. So, I picked up a good size rock and when it ran by again I tossed the rock - and by some miracle I actually hit the thing!
I was feeling smug, thinking it couldn't possibly have survived. Then, I saw that rock move and the creature popped out and ran away! Well, since I didn't want to have to fire my pistol at the fuel pump I hung up the pump and got the H out of there. I still think about that and it creeps me out.


#13    jbefumo

jbefumo

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined:22 Aug 2011

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

Just goes to show - like flies, some spiders eat SH1T!


#14    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 11,823 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

View Postmissymoo999, on 21 March 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

One of my friends has her Ph.D. in Egyptology,and archeology.Shes been on numerous digs in Egypt,and she told me stories about these things.
She said they have tried to kill them,like crushing it with a rock,and it squirts blood,and you think it's dead,but it's not.It feigns death.
She said the blood squirt is a self defense mechanism ,so you think it's dead,but then it gets up and runs off.
She said they also follow you.Shes seen them following people and herself,but if it's light out,it actually goes inside the outline of your shadow,so you dont see it.
Shes never been bitten,and generally ,you only have to worry about them out in the desert,not in cities,but they sneak into tents and so forth,and crawl up on people while they sleep.
I mean gross.



Either your friend or you are trying to pull someones leg.......;)



I also doubt this story of 17 surgeries from a bite....Even if it became infected.




Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#15    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 11,823 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

I should have added these to my last post......These two are the reliable replies, and what I would trust as true stories coming from Iraq........Pretty sad when people pretend that they risk their lives for our country.

The ones that really do are hero's....

Wild Deuce, Thanks for Serving !

HerNibs, please thank your son also !



Anyway, 2 below are great information........Last one.....not so much at all.



View Postwild_deuce03, on 21 March 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I had to register just to comment on this one.  I've been to Iraq 4 times and have never seen a camel spider the size of the one in the picture.  Everything I've read about them has their largest size being up to 5 inches.  The pics of the mammoth camel spiders are fake.  Trust me, they're still creepy, but not near what the media tries to make them.


View PostHerNibs, on 21 March 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

Yeah, my son said the same thing.  (Deployed 2x's to Afghanistan, 2x's to Iraq).

Info on camel spiders.

6 inches according to this.

Nibs




Sorry, I do not believe this bottom one at all, and shame on you for imitating a soldier.............:blush:

Just my opinion, unless the rock was the size of a quarter.....And I am not to sure military vehicles are filled  at fuel pumps in the sand.......Also, Soldiers call them " Humvees ", civilians call them " Hummers ".....

Nice try though.



View PostMarks_Thoughts, on 21 March 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

I was in Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War. One night I was filling my Hummer at a fuel point. One of those things went running by, then back, then back the other way. Each time getting closer to the pump. So, I picked up a good size rock and when it ran by again I tossed the rock - and by some miracle I actually hit the thing!
I was feeling smug, thinking it couldn't possibly have survived. Then, I saw that rock move and the creature popped out and ran away! Well, since I didn't want to have to fire my pistol at the fuel pump I hung up the pump and got the H out of there. I still think about that and it creeps me out.


Edited by Sakari, 22 March 2012 - 04:01 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users