Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Historical Coloma California

judyrad

Regina Tellez and I took a drive up 80 through Cool California towards Coloma. Well, we pass Coloma because there were no sign from the direction we were taking. We soon found a sign that said 'Judy Drive'. I thought it was cool, so I took a picture. We then headed back the other direction and found where we were suppose to be. Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park. We met Rhonda and Ben and talk to the Historian in the Museum. He told us about James Marshall. James Marshal was the first person to find Gold in the Sierra's. He spilt the beans and caused the eruption of travelers to California Sierra Nevada Area, in 1848, for the 'Gold Rush'. The question the Historian asked me was, for us to find out if James Marshall was really buried underneath the Monument/Tomb. The reason he questioned this, was because only one person witnessed his burial in 1886. His monument/ tomb was not built till 1890. Therefore, did they keep him on ice for 5 years or did they move his body to the location of his monument? There is no record of him actually being buried there, according to what the historian told me. This would be very interesting to look up.

We we went to his tomb took lots of video and pictures. We visited James Marshall's home that he lived in for 20 years. We did evp's and used a frank box to try to communicate with his spirit. We then headed to the cemeteries in Coloma. The Pioneer cemetery is across the road from the Vinyard House were the supposed women who first lived there locked her husband in the basement after finding out he had Siffalus. The house use to be available to the public but is now privately owned.

After we visited the Saint Johns Cemetery and the Pioneer Cemetery in Coloma, we ventured to the Sierra Nevada House. This house use to be a brothel owned by 'Isabella', who is known to haunt the Hotel. I talked to the new owner Keith and he welcomed us with warm reply. It was rainy and cold but we warmed our bones with there Irish green beer. Festive for Saint Patrick's Day. We looked at the famous mirror in the large dining hall. Guests have claimed to see this 'Isabella' dressed in period clothing in the mirror. Maybe she wanted to join the party. We then went up stairs to room #4 were she use to wait for her lover named 'Pete'. Legend tells that to this day she still waits for him. If she gets too lonely she is said to call out the names of the visitors who stay her room. After we ate a fabulous lunch we headed back to our cars and took a raining, long drive home. Over all it was an adventure that I will always remember.

check out our videos!! Pretty neat

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keel M.

• judyrad

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had a fondness for Western stories, so I looked up this Coloma [Valley], California. Looks like it might've been a good day trip had I known of the place when I lived in Fresno. According to what appears to be the main site for Coloma Valley, James Marshall was buried on the hilltop behind his cabin and the monument was erected later. On the Wikipedia article on the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, the monument was erected near the spot where Marshall made the gold discovery and his statue supposedly points to that very spot.